Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Pizza is Italian, the Belgians have their mussels, Vienna its schnitzel, hotdogs are American, and fish and chips very British. Some of the dishes that have survived the test of time, and the international fast food franchises, to continue to be part of their homeland�s culture and heritage, while in some cases also becoming popular outside their borders.

Germany's currywurst hasn�t been adopted world wide but, ever since its creation in 1949's post war Berlin, it has remained the country's most popular �anytime� snack.

Currywurst, Germany�s Cult Snack

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine I have not heard of currywurst before but I like the sound of it. I will give it a go with veggie sausages. I think it might also tempt a Hungarian friend who cooks with a lot of paprika. Is the veggie version commonly available in Germany?

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Asha, Glad you like the sound of the sauce and if you do try it with some veggie sausages do please let me know what you think.

Yes indeed for a country once famous for serving meat one form or another at every one of the three meals a day, Germany now offers an amazing selection of vegetarian food and ingredients, including the ubiquitous sausages and �hamburgers� etc. And in general they are hard to fault, really delicious. None of this �chewy cardboard� flavour that some foods aimed at vegetarians, or those who just want a rest from meat, seem to have.

It is not difficult to find a veggie �currywurst� either when one is out and about, although not at every �takeaway�, or to put together at home, and as each area has a slightly different flavour of sauce that will be something else for you to enjoy when you travel down the Romantic Road to see the next Oberammergau Passion Play.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Francine, first of all thanks for the kind post you left in the Walking Forum for me. I just now had a few spare moments to check in. When I saw the first part of this post's subject "curry" - I had to come and see what it was all about as my culture (Jamaican) is famous for Curry Goat (lol).

Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture
Pizza is Italian, the Belgians have their mussels, Vienna its schnitzel, hotdogs are American, and fish and chips very British. Some of the dishes that have survived the test of time, and the international fast food franchises, to continue to be part of their homeland�s culture and heritage, while in some cases also becoming popular outside their borders.

Germany's currywurst hasn�t been adopted world wide but, ever since its creation in 1949's post war Berlin, it has remained the country's most popular �anytime� snack.

Currywurst, Germany�s Cult Snack

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 12/21/10 10:31 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Curried Goat..............Goodness me Angela, think I am going to have to rely on you to give me some idea of just what that tastes like.

Have tried goats milk and goats cheese and after that thought I would limit my experience to stroking them at a petting zoo, or admiring them from a distance.

Is it still very strong tasting, or do the curry spices help to disguise it?

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Wow, this sounds delicious! I'd love to try this!

Tiger
Tiger
LOL, yes you got it - the "curry" hides the taste. To be honest, as a child I refused to eat it because we lived on a farm and my parents had the NERVE to kill my pet "goat"... It took years as an adult to finally try it. I get too attached to animals to be living on a farm - the same with working with them - I don't do well when they die or get sick. And that is the concern I have with our Jack Russell Terrier, Jeremiah. Did not plan on getting attached, but my boyfriend's son got shipped out (Air Force) and we inherited him. And of course he is not getting him back (lol). Goat meat is like beef I would say. I am so not into the duck, rabbit and so on if that helps. In other words, not a strange or unique taste. But again, the "curry" will kill your mouth - Yikes.

Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture
Curried Goat..............Goodness me Angela, think I am going to have to rely on you to give me some idea of just what that tastes like.

Have tried goats milk and goats cheese and after that thought I would limit my experience to stroking them at a petting zoo, or admiring them from a distance.

Is it still very strong tasting, or do the curry spices help to disguise it?

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/13/24 08:26 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/13/24 06:20 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.