Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
My issues are more needing someone to say that a sentence is not clear or that I did not really say anything in a paragraph. One of my three essays he said that I did not have smooth sentences. I need editing to point out where I'm the weakest.

The typo he was talking about was an extra period at the end of a sentence that I could not see on screen. LOL

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
I really didn't think of anyone changing anything in someone else's paper. I had in mind that if we were helping to check a paper, that we would point out spelling errors and grammatical errors that the person could check out themselves. If they decided that they agreed that each one was a mistake, they would check their dictionary or grammar book and correct it in their paper if necessary.

Also if something is unclear to me as a reader I would point that out as well but not tell a person how to fix it. Once again it would be up to the person to make any changes necessary to fix that problem.

I have read friends' papers for them and pointed out spelling and grammar errors and problems with comprehension, but I would never rewrite anything for them. I remember one time I asked someone to look at a letter I was writing for work and give me an idea of how it sounded. They sat down and began rewriting for me (which I had not asked them to do). It wasn't anything like the way I write so I couldn't even use their brand new sentences even if I had wanted to. I told them thank you very much and went into the office, threw their letter away, and started the letter over again in my way of writing. Looking at their way of writing only confused me because it was so different. That was the last time I ever gave someone a piece of writing and asked them for their ideas. LOL After that I only occasionally asked how to word a particular sentence but never a whole paragraph.

Anyway, that is why in my article about the completed essay I suggested that students might want to get someone to read their paper and point out spelling, grammar, and problems with comprehension, and suggested that they not get feedback on the style or the arguments in the essay. I guess what we are referring to is more like proofreading than editing but that is a term used specifically in the book industry. There doesn't seem to be a general term for what we are really talking about. smile

Last edited by Elizabeth-Distance Learn; 10/10/10 11:20 PM.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Elizabeth, I don't know how many times I was writing a document for work and had other eyes read it. I was glad as when they read it they found phrases that sounded too harsh or sentences that made sense to me but not to the readers. Sometimes as writers we know in our head what we want to say, but we can't see where others do not understand it either. Extra eyes are great for that.

In fact, my new class on how to research and write for history actually emphasizes having others read our work and give us feedback as most writers do to help keep the flow going.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.