Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635107 10/06/10 03:41 AM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Are there editing services out there to hep student's with their papers? My husband teaches online and most of the papers he gets are hideous. I submitted mine and a few things slipped through both of us that hurt me on the grading.If there is not, maybe that is a niche that needs to be filled out there.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Believe it or not, I used to be an editor (yikes). It's so much easier to tell someone else they're wrong LOL.

Have you tried reading from the bottom to the top? That's always been a trick of editors to find typos and noun/verb issues. Also, read it out loud word-for-word and try not to say what you "think" is there but what is actually on the page.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
There were few typos or grammar issues. He said that my ideas didn't flow. My husband was shocked. He felt that it was great. Teacher did not.

Gecko
Gecko
I just got my last paper back, he said there were typos there too, there weren't. I just re-checked it LOL.

I wonder if some instructors don't understand what "typo" means?

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I don't feel so bad then smile

I think they copy responses and don't really read them at times. Maybe we should have an editing support group here.

E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Lol - this is really serendipitous for me. I am in the process of setting up a website to edit writing that other people want to have checked before submitting to instructors, or websites or applying for jobs etc. Not set up yet though and not sure when I will have it up. But at least I know now that there is probably a need for such a service.

However, I think it is a good idea to set up an editing support group here. I would be willing to edit some papers occasionally and maybe some others would be willing to as well in return for theirs being edited.

What do others think of this idea? What suggestions do you have for how it might work?

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I would love to receive the editing and even edit others. Sometimes we cannot see the problems in our own but can point out areas of improvement in others.

Gecko
Gecko
I think that's a good idea ... We should have a special thread for it. I know, especially right now, my work is "lacking" in my opinon. I feel like I sometimes jump around too much. Other eyes might be able to be more critical of missing links and spot them, whereas I know what I'm trying to say.

Elizabeth, we're your first employees. We'll be old-hat by then LOL

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Sara, be careful. If our teachers found out, they would be expecting pretty high results smile smile

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
There are two things here.

First, at Northeastern they provide free tutors who will help you with your work. So the tutors will help you learn and improve.

Second, I'd be really nervous about having someone else make changes to my paper and them submit it for work credit. Doesn't that get into the realm of "not having fully written your own paper"?

Both of that being said, would you be willing to post one of your papers for us to look at or maybe email it to a few of us? Now that it's already submitted and done with, I think it's fair to have other eyes look at it and help see what should have been tweaked. I am all for having people help you with a paper AFTER it's graded, so you learn fully how to make future papers better.

When he says typo he might be meaning typos that a spell checker wouldn't catch - like using the word "hear" instead of the word "heard". It's a typo but your spell checker doesn't know it because it thinks both are valid words.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.