Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Are you guys all going to start a fresh journal for 2010? Or do you just keep writing in the same journal and have it span the year break?

I am in the middle of my journal so I'm going to just keep going and end whenever it ends.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I have never been able to commit to regular journal writing. Have started many times but can never keep going. I usually throw away what I have written, but I have kept several starts, and I always find it fascinating to read them after several yars. Still, I don't know why I can't commit.

Any suggestions for overcoming my inability to commit to journal-keeping?

Blessings,
Linda Sue Grimes
Maya Shedd's Temple
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
I am planning to section off my monthly writing and see if that keeps me going or not. It is hard to write lately, but I'm trying.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Republican_Party_Editor
I have never been able to commit to regular journal writing. Have started many times but can never keep going. I usually throw away what I have written, but I have kept several starts, and I always find it fascinating to read them after several years. Still, I don't know why I can't commit. Any suggestions for overcoming my inability to commit to journal-keeping?

I have the same problem. I start out with a bang (whenever I decide to begin journaling) and then the enthusiasm just fizzles out.

I have bought a Gratitude journal, and I think I will try to focus on it's pages rather than blank ones. I figure if I miss a day here or there, I can always continue it into 2011 by filling in the gaps.

I have read about using index cards because they are not as open as a notebook paper, but I wouldn't file the index cards and they'd just end up as scrap paper.

Two years in my life I have created a lengthy list of goals and specifics of how to achieve those goals, but I was hyper-focused. Last year, I made 4 small goals and didn't accomplish one of them! I'm such a loser!

AJ Alexander (aka: Bubbles)
Weight Loss Editor

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I kept a gratitude journal for an entire year once and got zero out of it. I really wanted it to change me. I have no idea why it didn't work for me - i gave it a valiant try. Maybe I am missing the gratitude gene. frown

I
Shark
Shark
I
Just a few thoughts...

Perhaps you haven't yet found your ideal way to go about journal-writing. For instance, do you like to use a notebook, or a bound volume? Lined or unlined pages? What sort of writing implement do you like to use?

Or would you like a different medium entirely, such as a computer journal, either with a word processor or with a journal-writing program?

My advice (based on 45 years of journaling as of January 1st, 2010) is to play around. Mess with it. Try different ways. Look for a way to make it your own! The only rules are those you make.

Most important, in my not so humble opinion...

Are you having fun?

I think most people who try journaling and then quit do so because it just ain't fun. Somehow, it has become tedious... a chore to avoid, not a thing to do because it's fun and feels good. Generally speaking, if it's fun you want to do it!

What can you do to make it FUN?
[i][/i]

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
I
Shark
Shark
I
I like to start a new "volume" at the beginning of the year. It symbolizes a fresh start... even if it does seem to turn in to the same old me.

This coming year, 2010, will mark my 45th year of writing. I'm rather proud of that.

(Hey, I am one of those people with NO talent whatsoever, not the littlest bittyest shred of talent, so i try and give myself attagirls in what wee ways I can!)

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
I like the "idea" of journaling... and have occasionally started to do it, but I get BORED. I don't know what to write, and end up writing the same thing all the time. I wonder if maybe it would help if I knew the PURPOSE of my journal. Those of you who journal regularly, could you share what the purpose is for you? Or, what it is that you do that keeps interesting and worthwhile for you? I have a nice neat new book with sections of lined paper divided by little dividers that have pockets for putting articles and things in... I'd like to start using it, but don't know what I'll use it for...

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think part of the key for me is that it is waiting for me on the bed with a piled of colored pens right next to it. I don't have to go look for it. I don't have to make time for it. It is part of a quiet ritual. I head up to bed, I am snuggling down and everything is there waiting for me. It's not a chore, it's a way to unwind.

Maybe if you make a little personal ritual about making a cup of herbal tea, heading to bed with a nice soft light right there and everything waiting, and you are now able to summarize your hopes and dreams there?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My hopes and dreams end up as a long list of chores and 'todo's".

That's not me speaking negatively - it's me telling you where my thought process ends up going when I sit down to journal about my day or whatnot.

Last edited by Bubbles@NBCSoaps; 01/01/10 08:07 PM.

AJ Alexander (aka: Bubbles)
Weight Loss Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 06/05/24 07:10 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/05/24 07:06 PM
Hand-stitched vs. Machine-stitched
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 06/05/24 04:50 PM
The Daughter - New Review
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/05/24 12:39 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/03/24 07:29 PM
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.