Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
It's ironic you should mention the "Inquisitions of Old." That was when the Catholic Church and Priests of Europe said "Our Way or the Highway," (highway to hell that is).

Maybe we're having a "Congressional Inquisition" right now. And the President seems to be relishing in it, bowing to other leaders, hemhawing about troop reinforcements to get the job done and bring our guys home, rallying for proposed bills his own press secretary admits he hasn't read in full.

I'm showing my years here, I remember Vietnam. But being a student of history, one of the main problems was polical inclusion and indecision in the military strategies. Yes, I think we may be making the same mistakes in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and it continues with this administration.

As for the Nobel Prize, President Obama must have won for what he's said (more accurately read from his speech writers), or maybe it's an influence thing. Now that's a double bladed sword, which cuts as deeply going in, as coming out! Call me naive, but I actually thought this award was for deeds, not words. But then I'm not certain what Al Gore won for either. Making tons of money from the global warming issue?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
My goodness, you sound very upset about current conditions.

I really don't see President Obama relishing anything: I see him working very hard in one of the most difficult set of circumstances any president has ever faced.

And, in direct opposition to "my way or the highway," he's bent over backwards trying to get Republican inclusion on issues.

I'll call you naive, because the award is given for deeds or words. According to Nobelprize.org, "In addition to humanitarian efforts and peace movements, the Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded for work in a wide range of fields including advocacy of human rights, mediation of international conflicts, and arms control." The specific award to Obama was for "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

"Efforts" can require words sometimes before deeds can be accomplished. Many words are needed to change the attitude of the rest of the world toward America as a greedy, bullying starter of preemptive war before the rest of the world and America can sit down together to discuss how to enact arms control and how to combat global warming.

Al Gore does not promote climate change to make tons of money. He's trying to save the planet. I don't know where you get your information, but it seems to be coming from mean-spirited people.

Susan Gaissert, Democratic Party Editor
Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
Elephant
Elephant
The Nobel committee stated why he won the award. The award is not necessarily for only deeds according to the research i have done.

I am not sure if I agree with Obama winning the award, however, I am not the committee, and I do not know what their deliberations entailed. Remember, he was nominated before Feb 1, so it is based on his actions as a senator, anda candidate and one month as president.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
The question that keeps going around and around in my head is - do all that see only negatives with regard to President Obama base their opinions on anything other than the propadanda of the last eight years, the Republican spin machine and Fox news? The man is a scholar, prior to becoming a politician did more with his life on his own than many politicians can even dream of accomplishing and has tried to keep to the promises of his campaign despite being handed an incrediably broken political system.

Those that wish to hold on tight to the devisive and negative contrivances that have taken hold of this country will ultimately bring us further into decay. My wish is that you take a breath, get your information from intellectual sources and try to step away from the same old tactics that the last administration was so good at fostering - opposing views are great but let's be a bit more mindful of where those views are born.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Elephant
Elephant
exactly Susan.

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I don't think that the committee noted exactly why they chose Obama.
But alot of factors go into it I'm sure.

Just by getting elected he created a new beginning in many an eye. The ferver as well as any accomplishments just were a bonus! After all he is the single most recognized person in all of the world today! (with the exception MIchael Jackson)

Mary Caliendo

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Elephant
Elephant
The prize committees words: The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts.

The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Elephant
Elephant
Additionaly from Obama:

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize - men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build - a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action - a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Jase and Mary tea,

I am glad you shared your beautifully expressed view on this subject and I couldn't agree more with all that you said so well.

Mary-tea - I love your optimism.

These are the kinds of hopeful attitudes our new President wants to foster.

Imagine a world where war is only in history books, we all get cared for without worry and are encourgared to flourish without stepping on the toes of everyone and thing on the planet.

I am not naive and realize that considering where we now are on the evolutionary scale of growth that war and violence will still be part of our existence but unless we start thinking otherwise we will never move past this rather infamous trait (of humans) - I chose to follow those that will at least try to move us in that direction.

Last edited by Susan - horses; 10/12/09 08:17 AM.

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
And if for no other reason Mr. Obama's book - "The Audacity of Hope" could have been enough for the peace prize - it does a great job of addressing many ills of our politcal system, offers solutions that keep in mind the entire population and not those few lucky enough to have no worries in their life other than watching their investments on Wall Street

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.