Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
This from the Huffington Post:

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.

The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.

What do you think? I think the rest of the world thinks we've got a good guy who's on the right track leading us. And I agree!

Last edited by Susan - Democratic Party; 10/09/09 09:38 AM.

Susan Gaissert, Democratic Party Editor
Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I was so excited to read the news. Yes, Barack Obama does deserve the Nobel Peace Prize 2009 !

J
Gecko
Gecko
J
From what I've read in articles about Pres Obama by the European press, I'm not sure they will agree he deserves this award. Here are a few of the comments so farfrom several European sources published in the Wall Street Journal. The comments to this posting are also revealing.

Hopefully, it will inspire him to actually try and bring some peaceful solution in the middle east and to the 2 wars America is currently waging in Iraq and Afghanistan. So far his efforts have not proven very fruitful.

Last edited by HealthyMom62; 10/09/09 10:16 AM.
J
Koala
Koala
J
Here are some more European comments as well as from Americans.

I think this may have an adverse effect on Pres Obama, more than a positive one, in the end because it may cause people to actually evaluate what he has and hasn't done so far.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
There is always negative comments to go with positve. I am proud of our President and from those folks that I know in Europe they are as well. Thank goodness we now have someone in office that most of the rest of the world can respect rather than consider a joke - the last eight years has decimated our reputation in the world view and in only half a year it has been reclaimed - quite a feat for one man to accomplish in so little time.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Thank you all for your comments and links. I think the award is a carrot from the rest of the world, saying "run faster, you can do it." Is it also a reaction to GWB? I think so. But again, that's encouragement from the rest of the world, saying, "Hey Amerca, you finally shed the "axis of evil" guy. Here's a little prize to keep you motvated to do better."

I hope this gives him clout to start shutting down the two wars. Wishful thinking . . .

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
C
Shark
Shark
C
Lets be honest- if Obama wanted to bring all the troops home by Christmas, he could: It would involve standing up to the UN, something George W. Bush never accomplished, either.

Cindy L Merrill
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Cindy, why would he have to deal with the UN? I agree he can bring the troops home if he wants to, but I think the obstacle is the Dept.f Defense and the Americans who think withdrawal = defeat and defeat makes us not good "cowboys."

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
C
Shark
Shark
C
Depends how he words it. if he tells the Pentagon that the troops are needed at home ( for example, parts of Georgia are still reeling from the floods)they might go along- the objective is a well defined mission, which no longer exists in Iraq, anyway. I think Obama would win that one.

Cindy L Merrill
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
So do I, Cindy. It's Afghanistan that's going to be a little tougher. Isn't it funny how history gives us such obvious lessons (i.e., Vietnam) and yet we find it o hard to learn them.

Thanks for your comment.
Susan

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.