logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I inherited a porcelain doll head and set of hands that has been in my family forever. A well meaning aunt removed the original cloth body and discarded it. How do I re-create it? are there set proportions or just trial and error? is there a pattern I could buy? any info on how to attach the hands? I am an accomplished quilter and seamstress and I had an impressive collection of hand made Barbie dresses so I think I can re-create an acceptable garment. The head is 3 1/4 high, upper chest included, the face itself is 1 1/2 high. the arms are the forearm portion. Thanks so much! Sherie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Sherie.

I would lay the head and hands down on graph paper and space them to what looks right to you. Then draw a rough body draft until you think you have the proportions right. If the head is 3 1/4", including the upper chest, I would guess that the doll in complete form would be a 9" doll - that is a rough guess.

Good luck!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the suggestion, I laid it down next to a bunch of my girl's dolls and it turns out Barbie is the closest to the size I need! Barbie is the answer to all life's questions! Now how do I attach the arms? Not to mention the head? Thanks again, Sherie

I have never done this before, but, here is a suggestion: Make the body, stuff the lower half, put one of the hands in an arm opening , turn the cloth arm inside out so the hand is inside, tie heavy cotton thread around the fabric and make sure it is securely fastened to the hand (there should be a groove in the top of the hand for this). Put Fray-Check around the raw edges of the fabric and let this dry. Turn the arm back out to the right side and make sure the fabric is evenly over the hand's upper edge. Do the same with the other hand/arm. Stuff the arms and upper body. Turn in 1/4" of the top opening, insert the head/chest into this opening. There should be some holes in the lower part of the chest. Tack the fabric securely into the holes by running the thread through the upper body back and forth and around to the other side, securing the head/chest to the fabric. Glue the rest of the opening to the chest portion. Most of the chest portion, except the holes should be showing above the fabric for a pretty effect.

Does this make sense? Helen may have some better suggestions.

Below is a link to a picture of cloth bodies for porcelain heads. These dolls have the chest holes showing on the outside, which might be easier for you to achieve.

cloth body for porcelain doll

click on the picture, enlarge it then look over to the right for other views to get a much better idea of how to construct the body.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 09/03/09 10:23 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much!! this is exactly what I needed!! Sherie

Sherie, I am so glad I was able to help. I would love to see a picture of your doll when you finish her.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks for the help, Phyllis. Your suggestion is exactly what I would have done, as well.

Sherie, I'd love to see a photo of your completed doll, too. Good luck and enjoy your doll making experience.

Thank you, Helen. I knew if you came along you would know how to do this. I was really not too sure, but, was lucky to find a picture that would help. This has encoraged me to continue working my 1860 style porcelain doll. I have to finish her day dress and petticoat. She still has the original cloth body and her silk chamios, bloomers. The silk is shredded and worn in some places, but, I may just keep that on her. One foot had been replaced and is smaller than the other. I may have to get two new feet for her. Maybe if I get a picture of her in here, you can help me decide what to do. I will go dig her out of my closet tomorrow and take a look at her.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Phyllis,
To make matching feet, get yourself some polymer clay. Follow the manufacturers directions for conditioning and baking it. Make a mold for two new feet, using the polymer clay and the foot you currently have that you prefer. Then buy more polymer clay in a color that most closely matches the rest of the porcelain parts and use the mold you made to shape the new foot. You can also blend more than one color to get a better match, if necessary.

I reviewed a book on the doll making site that explains the process in detail. Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay - Review

It sounds more difficult than it actually is, I'm sure you can do it. Let me know how it works out.

Of course, you can always buy new parts, but I think it would be fun to make them yourself.

That sounds like a good idea, Helen. I will try the polymer clay to make new feet. Thank you.

I could not find my doll. She is not where I thought she should be. I will search again tomorrow.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I won the bid on those four dolls in the picture I submitted for Sherie. They sould be arriving here any day now and I am soooo excited! I will make their clothes and either sell the set or give them to someone special for Christmas. Or maybe keep them for myself to sit on top of an antique trunk I have.

Sherie, how is your project coming along?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.