logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko

I call it a "cold" you know one minute your fine and the next, you can barely turn your head, like all of the nerves and muscles in your shoulders and neck seem pinched or something. It REALLY hurts. And why do these "muscle colds" seem to last so long and when they do disappear after a week or two, it's as fast as it started?!

It happened to me this morning, all I did was get up to make coffee...fine, then not fine...what gives and does anyone have a suggestion, tip or solution for it????????!!!!! I'm using a heat pack and Advil, my standard. I'd love to know how everyone else deals with these.....thanks...any and all tips would be welcomed right now!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Shark
Shark
N

It's happened to me a few times. I just take long, hot showers and then lay down on a heating pad and try not to move my neck very much.

It happens to me when I fall asleep in an odd position and a fan or A.C. is blowing right on my neck. It's just a muscle spasm proloooooooooonged.

Try an OTC muscle pain pill like Momentum or Doan's Pills. They work pretty well for me.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Thanks smile we're still moving but I took a long hot bath and laid back in it which felt great until I had to lift my head out of the water.

You're right about prolooooooooooged and muscle spasm sounds right. You know I've never taken Momentum or Doan's before. Only Motrin or Advil, I'll try and get some tomorrow. Do they have caffeine in them do you know? I don't take Midol (different pains, I know!) either because I can't do caffeine.....thank you Navigaar!

N
Shark
Shark
N

No caffeine. Magnesium Salicylate.

Which works directly on { striated } muscle tissue.

Last edited by Navigaar; 05/30/09 08:16 PM.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
No kidding....thanks so much, I really appreciate it. It's a 20 minute drive to a store that might have it and right now I'm not sure about driving as I can hardly turn my head...ughhh. My sweetie will be home tomorrow so I'll ask him to pick some up on the way here and which one is it that has the Magnesium Salicylate. Working directly on the muscles sounds WONDERFUL right now!! Momentum or Doan's...or both.....thanks again for the much needed tips smile

N
Shark
Shark
N

Both. I hope you feel better soon. I know that is a misery.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Great....thank you!!

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Sue!

I'm so sorry about your neck!

A heating pad had helped me a ton for me when my neck has been hurting like that.

How are you feeling now? I hope you are not as sore! smile

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Sue, Hope your feeling better

Rosie L
N
Shark
Shark
N

How's it doing today Sue? Even without trying to do something it resolves itself over time. So unless you were out in your backyard doing backflips you should be improving. I hope so.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
After all that moving I'm sure Sue would rather flop on the couch than do backflips...hahahahahahahha

I was wondering the same...how ya fellin' girl?

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Zebra
Zebra
Sue, if you have epsom salts or magnesium supplements (some calcium supplements and multi-vitamins have magnesium), both are great for muscle spasms.

You need about three to four cups of epsom salts in a hot bath -- a full one where you can sink down & let your neck soak. Stay in at least 20 minutes. Repeat as needed.

Alternately, start with 500 mg. magnesium supplements (too much can cause diarrhea). Sometimes, I take the bath & the supplements. I like living on the edge! HAHA!

You can also get temporary relief with counter-irritants like Ben-Gay, Icy Hot, Capsacin, Biofreeze, etc. Also, Arnica gel is a homeopatchic medicine, but I really like it -- no smell!

Last edited by BellaDeb; 06/01/09 02:25 PM.
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Brandii, Rosie and Navigaar...Thank You!!! I am such a geeky girl right now...lol....however I CAN turn my head an inch or two to each side now, so I'd say that's progress!! smile And Brandii, I LOVE my heating pad! We're best friends these days...so pathetic I know...hahaa!

Granny I think you're right, floppin on the couch is what I'd love to do. I do still have a couch here but the T.V. is gone and the room echoes because there's nothing in there but a couch now. Not that I'm a big T.V. person but my heating pad, some tea, a relaxing show or a show where someone else does back flips, well, that would be kinda nice but not happening!

Ohhh and did I mention that I have cramps! So if I'm really on a roll, I might get my period too...haahaaahaaaa....laughter is good smile You gals are great!

And Deb...you said.....

"Alternately, start with 500 mg. magnesium supplements (too much can cause diarrhea). Sometimes, I take the bath & the supplements. I like living on the edge! HAHA!"

Crack me up!!!! smile smile and ironically I have a box of Epsom salts sitting on the floor that I haven't packed yet and the Arnica gel is still here too (why haven't I put any on those bruises I now have all over, made sure my kids used it though!)....ahhh....God's timing is always good!

Thanks girls for checking in on me and making me smile...you're great! Now I have to recite my "only two weeks more and we'll be done" mantra! (and as women somehow we know....there is no "done" there is always something! haahaa ) I think I'll go take that bath now! smile

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
You're right about never being done. And now I'm going to make you feel bad...Haven't had a period in 15 years. YEA ! ! ! ! Can't say I miss it one bit either. Sorta like Earl in that country song..a missing person no one missed...hahahahahah

Granny
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Haahaaaa...Earl by the Dixie Chicks, that's a fun song...lol...and 15 years is sweet for you Granny! At the beginning of December, I went for 4 and a 1/2 months without one. Thought things were looking PRETTY good in that area and I was feeling great too, not missing them one bit....all in good time...all in good time smile I really should have bought stock in Tampax and the pad industry years ago, maybe I could have made back half of what I've spent!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sue..that should be taught to every woman..buy stock in Kotex, Tampax and Pamprin. We'd all be rich even in a bad market like todays...we never run out of need for those things..there's always a new batch of "fresh" ones coming in when the old grey mares...like me.. grin are past needing them.

Granny
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
smile Haahaaaa!! Well, we have 2 granddaughters at the moment (3 and almost 5) perhaps this should be stock buying time now!!! And 2 daughters in their early 20's....some worthy advice to share along.....Hmmmm?! Yes, why weren't we advised of this?!

Here's a cool story for you....when I had my catering business, restaurant and banquet hall in Mass (1987-1999) I catered for Tambrands and the first time I was in the building (wonder if it's still there or if they've moved) They had a glass enclosed, large gold tampon! Kid you not...it was so cool...really....man, should have bought stock then!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
oh Sue...the visions that has conjured up for me....hahahahahha

Granny
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Haaaahaaaaa!!!!! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.