Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hello!

Have you seen any TV shows or movies that focus on adoption?

If so, how do you think the show or movie portrayed adoption?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
The movie "Juno" was very popular last Summer and was an interesting movie, but didn't portray adoption in a very authentic manner. There were a couple of glaring mistakes. First, they showed the young birth mother signing her relinquishment documents in the home of the adoptive couple prior to the birth. I can only think of one state that allows a birth mother to sign before the birth and even then the signatures are not valid until 10 days after the birth. In most states, documents can't be signed until 72 hours after the birth. Secondly, having participated in over a thousand adoptions in my career, I have never seen any surrenders or relinquishments taken in the adoptive parents home. This usually occurs in an attorney or agency's office, at the birth mother's home, or in some cases just as she is being discharged from the hospital. In some states, it must be done in a court room. Additionally, while adoptive parents are just like anyone else and could occasionally have marital issues, it is not likely (and I have never seen it happen) that the couple would initiate a divorce or separation in the process of adoption. Any major issues between them would be addressed during the home study and if the marriage was in doubt, the home study would not be approved. They didn't even address the home study or qualifications in the movie. If a home study is not approved, an adoption doesn't take place. I believe that after going through the stresses of infertility, typically couples are stronger than ever if they stay together. I haven't encountered the adoptive couple who divorced or separated during or shortly after the process. For these reasons, I think Juno gave the wrong messages to potential birth parents about families and also to adoptive couples about birth mothers, as there is not generally that much contact. While it was entertaining, it wasn't at all real life.

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi 2adopt1!

Thank you so much for your post!

I had just recently seen that movie as well. I agree--entertaining, but there were so many parts that I was thinking "That's odd--I don't think that's how it happens"...

I don't remember seeing an attorney or adoption agency in the entire movie (granted, I did miss a few parts, so I apologize if this was included).

There were parts I found touching, such as when Juno's stepmom let the ultra sound tech have it for being rude to Juno. And, I loved the comments that Juno's dad made to her after she gave birth (though so sad at the same time).

Entertaining, emotional, but probably not entirely accurate is how I think I'd describe the movie.

What other movies or TV shows feature adoption in a good/bad light?

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi!

Did anyone see the Lifetime movie, "America" with Rosie O'Donnell?

I missed it, but hope they will show it again.

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to think of what movies I've seen in the past that more accurately portray the adoption process.

MTV recently had a show on their "True Life" series that told the story of a young couple (I think there may have been two couples) that were giving up their child for adoption.

It showed more of the emotional realities of what everyone was going through. I will Tivo it the next time it's on, and put a reminder on the forum, in case anyone else wants to see it and talk about it as well.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That's an interesting question. "No Reservations" involved a chef who becomes the adopted parent of her niece when her sister dies, and the mixed emotions of both of them. I suppose that's an adoption but not a "stranger" adoption.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi Lisa!

I haven't seen No Reservations yet--was it good?

Did you think they did a good job showing the mixed emotions on both sides?

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Adoption is not a subject that 'grabs' my attention, so I'm not sure if I'm aware of it on TV or in the movies. However, my favorite made-for-TV Christmas movie is "Sons of Mistletoe" about a man who runs a group home for young men and his newest resident who is in need of a new family. Turns out the main character is the biological father of the newly orphaned boy. No adoption necessary - sappy and tearjerking.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Discovery Channel has the show Adoption Stories. I love to watch it cause it shows all types of adoption from infant domestic, infant international, to foster to adopt of all ages and even some older children international adoptions. It really gives a wide array of situations. And they are always at "the end" of the adoption finalization so its the happy part! I think every situation is different too. Movies can't be too accurate to every situation because it just depends. I remember that being the answer to every question it seemed when being trained to be a foster parent for our foster-adopt placement. I would ask a question and they would say well it just depends. Depends on the state, the judge, the birth mother, the adoptive family, the caseworkers. It just depends! :-) I have a friend who has a "Juno" type story. And she did do her paperwork when pregnant and they did it with a family friend lawyer of the birth mother so it was all in the adoption families home and the birth families home. Almost seemed to casual to me at the time. (They did have to do it all with a judge to finalize obviously.) The paperwork didn't guarantee that she didn't have the right to change her mind, however it did state if she did then she would owe all funds paid toward her doctor bills and support during pregancy that the adoptive couple were paying and if situations changed before the birth for the adoptive couple she would not owe them any money. It worked out great and it wasn't even kept as an open adoption scenario after the placement was finalized after birth. She was happy just knowing that the baby was safe and happy and if the child ever wants to know her they are more than welcome to seek her out. That was 7 years ago so I don't know how things have changed. And I don't know if in all states you can do your own adoption privately like that. Anyways, if someone is considering adoption the Adoption Stories show on Discovery Channel is great. Definitely a tear jerker.

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi Designmama!

Thank you so much for writing about your friend's story. It sounds like everyone was so incredibly supportive and caring.

I'd imagine that it was much more comfortable for everyone to be able to discuss the adoption in the comfort of a home.

I LOVE the Adoption Stories show! I don't think they are making any new ones, are they? I wish they would!

I've found myself watching re-runs of the show, lol!

Sometimes TLC's "A Baby Story" will feature an adoption story. I wish they would start doing a lot more of these, however, especially if the "Adoption Stories" is not producing any new shows.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Anne of Green Gables is a wonderful story of an adoptee adopted and a classic book series at that by Lucy Maude Montgomery. What I like about the character Anne Shirley is that she shares the joys of adoption but also so greatly shares the honest emotions and complex feelings of adoptees and those separated from their birth parents.

And there are many movies about Moses and Esther, the biblical adoptees and one can glean much when reading about their journeys in scripture. Does anyone have any favorite movies of Moses or Esther that they would like to share??I watched them so long ago that I don't know exact titles.

Thanks, Jody, adoptee, adoption triad group facilitator

Jody Moreen,adoptee
Adoptees Cafe Devotions
Adopteescafe.blogspot.com
Adoptee Phone Mentor
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi Jody!

Anne of Green Gables takes me down memory lane! I remember reading the entire set--thought I can't remember all of the titles.

Thanks for posting! smile

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Have you guys seen the ads for the new show called "Adoption Diaries"?

It's going to feature stories of people involved in open adoptions.

I believe it airs on We TV starting this Saturday at 10 PM.

Here's a link to the show's website for more information:

Adoption Diaries

I wonder how this show will differ from the old show "Adoption Stories" that used to be on Discovery Health? They featured all different types of adoption stories verses featuring just one type of adoption story.

Do you think the show will be a success (I know we're only speculating here, as the show hasn't even begun, but I thought it'd be fun to chat about). smile

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Originally Posted By: Cook4Kids&Adoption Editor
Have you guys seen the ads for the new show called "Adoption Diaries"?

It's going to feature stories of people involved in open adoptions.

I believe it airs on We TV starting this Saturday at 10 PM.

Here's a link to the show's website for more information:

Adoption Diaries

I wonder how this show will differ from the old show "Adoption Stories" that used to be on Discovery Health? They featured all different types of adoption stories verses featuring just one type of adoption story.

Do you think the show will be a success (I know we're only speculating here, as the show hasn't even begun, but I thought it'd be fun to chat about). smile

I have my DVR set to record the premier episode of Adoption Diaries.

While I haven't watch it yet, I'm thrilled that there is another tv show on adoption. TLC's "A Baby Story" is a great show, but they rarely feature adoption.

After "Adoption Stories" stopped production, I've been hoping that there would be another show that features adoption.

Did anyone catch the first episode yet? (I'm a few hours behind, due to the DVR and I having issues, lol). smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deanna - Adoption Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.