logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
What's the most ambitious dish or meal you've ever made?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Definitely a luau for 75+. But I didn't do it by myself. My entire family chipped in! My dad cooked a 300 lb. piglet in an underground imu. We made lomi salmon, haupia, chicken long rice, teriyaki chicken, etc. in huge batches.

I need to be more mindful about the time factor when throwing a party. I have to remember that I'm the hostess first and chef second! My guests want to visit with me and I tend to stay in the kitchen.

I serve foods I like without thinking about the time they take to cook. Most of the stuff I like requires last minute cooking. For example, I served deep-fried ice cream balls served in flour tortilla baskets. You can't prefry the ice cream balls!

You also can't prefry won tons and other such items. So I really need to plan better party menus that allow me to enjoy the party.

Because I was raised in a home where my mom always threw dinner parties, hosting large events doesn't faze me. Thanksgiving, etc. for 20 is nothing. But I need to remember to STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN! The thing is, it's my favorite place! smile

The actual dish isn't the hard part. It's usually the VOLUME and TIME CONSTRAINTS that is the challenge! Like Dinner Impossible!

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I love Dinner Impossible!!!

Watched it last night.

I have a similar challenge when I cook for the masses, the only difference is that they don't want me coming out of the kitchen. LOL!!! laugh

They'll tell me it great to see me, now get back in the kitchen!!! grin She's a foodie too so no worries there. wink

But I love being in the kitchen too. I tell my wife all the time... "All we need is a great kitchen and the room to entertain big and I'm fine." grin

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I like making dinners that call for a lot of chopped stuff - I love to chop up veggies and meats and have a lot of ingredients. So, usually my most ambitious meal is something like stew or paella. With stews I like to serve my homemade bread with it. My favorite bread is challah because it is so pretty on the table and it has such a wonderful texture and taste.

Oh! and for dessert, I like to serve cour de a la creme with blackberry sauce. I have a very easy recipe for that but everyone thinks I have spent hours making it, so I get a lot of compliments.

Last edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk; 03/05/09 10:58 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jason, I do not think I ever welcomed you to this site. Welcome. Good to have you here.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Get outta here Phyllis!!! I love stews!!!

I'm not so much for soups and broths, but stews... Oh yeah!

This is my idea of a great pre-dinner conversation!!! grin

I am going to JUMP into my dinner!!!

Last edited by PC & Vegetarian Editor; 03/05/09 11:07 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I have this cookbook called "Mmmmmiami" and there is this one recipe in there for "Florida Keys Conch Chowder"

It has over 20 ingredients, including (of course conch meat), calabaza, yuca and boniato (which when I first made this I had never heard of)

My husband absolutely loves this - but is is a nightmare to make, and the shopping for it is not so easy either!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
That sounds great Chelle!

I have a stew that has a ridiculous amount of ingredients as well, but it;s well worth the effort, but it is an effort.

Stews - thick, rich and loaded with food - are the foundation of a happy home. Well...homemade breads is right up there, too!

I remember one cooking show I loved to watch (Jacque Pepin) and he said, when you are cooking make sure you have something to chop! And chop loudly so the neighbors think you are really working hard at cooking up something fantastic.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
anything out of the ordinary would be considered an ambitious dish....and I say that because I'm always forgetting an ingredient here or there which requires me traveling back and forth to the store. For example, even if it's something simple like seafood fetticine alfredo...I'm always forgetting the simple stuff like the asparagus...or the roma tomatoes (it's not really fettucine alfredo, it's some dish I made to copycat an Olive Garden dish). It got easier when I discovered alfredo sauce in a jar, but it doesn't have the same taste as homemade.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
You're right Diane,

It's hard to find something in a jar or can that tastes homemade; but here's what you can do to Dr. something up to give that homemade feel [even when it's come out of a can or jar].

You can caramelize some onions and saute some garlic and add the canned goods to the pan with the garlic or onions in it.

If it's a sweet dish like say for example you;'re going for something that has canned berries or apples, etc., in it, saute some fresh fruit and caramelize it adding the canned ingredients to the mixture once it's developed its flavor. This way it tastes like it is homemade.

That's my 2 cents worth. It's pulled me out of a few jams [no pun intended] when I've been at events that had a bunch of canned goods to work with and I still wanted to create an unprocessed look, feel and flavor to it. It moves it from the homogenized to the more complex satisfying all who partake.

Let me know what you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.