Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
February 21st - Sometimes our regrets are not about what we say, but as Harriet Beecher Stowe reminds us, are about "deeds left undone". Even Scriptures remind us that "he who knows to do good, but doesn't do it, to him it is sin." Has there been a time in your life when you knew to do something but didn't do it? How do you feel about that? Perhaps today you can write a short story in your journal about how that situation might have played out if you'd done what you knew needed to be done.

Feb 21st Daily Prompt

There have been times I've been in public (a party or something) and someone has said a questionable statement, maybe a joke about a race or religion or something, that made me uncomfortable. But I didn't speak out against it. I'm still not quite sure how to handle those situations. I don't want to ruin the party and start an argument ... but I'm not sure I should be making it seem that I agree with that sort of thing either ... so I should do *something*.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
When I was about 10 years old this teenager broke into my neighbors garage and took a bicycle. The neighbor across the street saw him and came out and tackled him and this young punk kid was smashed into the curb.

Two hours later he was STILL sitting on the curb, all bloody-faced and handcuffed as the police took their time bringing him in. I had the prompting to bring him a glass of water, but never did because everyone else was so glad to see him "get what he deserved". All I could think was how sad he must be sitting in the hot sun (100 plus degrees in southern california) without any water like that.

I've thought about it for years. I've always felt bad that I didn't follow my heart, but let fear of others stand in my way. I think that this singular incident has served to make me more aware of others and speedier to reach out to someone in need.

Angela <><

Angela England
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
The fact that at 10 years old that you wanted to shows you had a wonderful heart. How hard it would have been for a child to have walked in front of all those adults!

The fact that you still wonder about just shows that you still have a wonderful heart, and that you probably have never passed up such a chance again.

Me, I'm the one that cringes from any kind of confrontation. I know I don't do so badly on here, but I'm not face-to-face with anybody. So I will let things go pretty far in any situation before I will say something, instead of heading something off early when it could be handled with less emotion.

My Dad tends to be extrememly hard on the boys in our family and then babies the girls. It is very unfair. Then he is even tougher on my nephew than anyone else for some reason that I have never figured out. For a long time I just stayed out of it, thinking I would make it worse. I finally decided he was being a bully - and have told the kids as much. And I told him so, too. It hasn't really changed his behavior any, but now the kids know they have an adult behind them and they are not alone. I just wish I had done it sooner, instead of acting like a scared child myself.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Angela - that was caring of you, at a young age, to want to do the right thing. I agree with Michelle, that as a child you really didn't have much choice, interfering with adults. It is good you took the message to heart and strive to right wrongs now that you can!

Michelle - family dynamics are SO hard. There are so many times that you know a parent is "not right" but it's not really your place to correct them.

I have a lot of relationship books I get sent to review and what they all suggest is the carrot method. That is, if you scold someone for doing something wrong they get defensive, justify their actions to themselves and now that they're embarrassed they could get even worse. Instead, try your best to spot them doing even something MINOR right. If even the slightest praise comes out of his lips for a boy, chime in and agree whole-heartedly. Bolster him. If you bolster his good times, and deliberately ignore the bad times (maybe removing the child from the situation and "abandoning" the dad) then that seems to be what reinforces good behavior.

I know, easier said than done!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.