You know, while I've been researching this, I came across (with help from a writing buddy) Dominionism, which is scary stuff. And that led me to learn about the Council for National Policy -- sounds innocuous enough, but if you read about it, you will find it isn't. There are some in that group (a very secretive group, btw) that would like to ditch the constitution, and make American law line up with the old testament... yikes!

Honestly, it feels like that fictional world I am developing seems to have spilled over to our world. And as non-theists (as well as theists who aren't Christians), we had better watch out!

On a side note, I was answering another writer's questions on atheists, and I think I saw some attitude changes in her writing afterwards -- she has an atheist character who now isn't portrayed as wanting to do away with all religion, but rather wants to be accepted as who he or she (okay, I can't recall if the character was male or female!) is, rather than being "converted" all the time. Live and let live.

So, one person at a time, maybe change can happen!