Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Is the Poppy wallhanging applique, or some other method I am equally afraid to try? crazy I also have a piece of material that I like on its own and I know cutting it will just distract. I am often tempted to put a border on it, and have it quilted with a 'neat' design.

I can't offer much, but wanted to welcome you here. I hope someone is more helpful than I am. smile

Granny

Last edited by GrannyH; 02/04/09 02:30 PM.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Oliver111, good to have you aboard. I always think that fabric that is "focus fabric" or has a design that is easily recognised is usually best kept in a large block so you don't loose the effect of the pattern, in this case the Egyptian Characters.

Perhaps you could keep them in a large block and do some fancy piecing around them in tone-on-tones? Or perhaps highlight them with a gorgeous harmonious sashing?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Hi Granny H, Thanks for the welcome. The Poppy Quilt is Applique. I thought of doing what you said by just putting a border on my Egyptian Fabric but I think it might be a bit too much. Judies idea is probably the only one that will work. I know once I get started it will just all fall into place. I usually just make the patterns up as I go along. As I am trying the write this I have got my 16 month old grandson yanking at my arm. Time for his breakfast. I live in the UK so we are quite some time behind you.
Olivier

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Olivier111, when I was looking at Attic Window instructions for another topic, I was thinking it may be your answer as well. The window pane and upright dividors can be any size, so you could make them smaller to focus on your focus fabric.

My suggestion about just putting a border on your yardage was my half-hearted attempt to laugh at my own 'lack of ambitious' or maybe it's a 'lack of imagination'.

I'm finally going to get out of town and to the quilt store over the weekend and get the focus fabric for my grandson's graduation gift. This is one of the times that I wish we didn't live in the boon-ies.

Glad to have you aboard, Olivier!

GrannyH, That's a good idea. I'll look into the Attic Window and see if it will work. We don't have many Quilt shops here, when they do open they don't seem to last very long before they move elsewhere. Where I live, it is very expensive to rent the premises so the shops close down. One lady we used to buy from is now selling from a Log Cabin her husband built for her in the grounds of her Home.The problem is it out in the sticks, so I don't get there very often.I buy most of my fabric on-line from America. I'm really interested to know more about the history of Quilting. I know it was very popular here years ago, as was Crochet, Knitting and Rug making, but it all seems to be dying out. I only know a handful of people here that quilt. Luckily one of them is my best friend. She came back from America about 8 years ago and had caught the Quilting bug and she showed me how. How many years have you been quilting and who taught you. Is it a tradition in your family. Olivier111

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Olivier111: Some answers to your questions.

I don't really consider myself a quilter. It is really only a hobby for me. I quilt when I have something I want to make, but when I've finished I can walk away and not quilt for years. I have been sewing since I was 10 or so, (at least 50 years) but I didn't start any quilting projects until my mother-in-law wanted me to help her with one. Of my four sisters, 2 quilt like I do (to make something specific) and 2 don't do any sewing, so it is not a family tradition. I don't have any quilting friends, and so far I don't belong to a quilt guild. I have learned alot at this Website and through this forun. Judie is an absolute jewel, and I hope you have signed up for the newsletter. And there are very knowledgable members here.

You talked about going to the sticks to purchase supplies. I live in the sticks and need to go to a larger town to purchase special supplies. We do have a store that has a few basis supplies on hand.

I'm sure you can learn a lot of "History of Quilting" on the Internet. My personal history is I have a "heirloom" quilt made in the 1800's as my ancestors were moving further and further west into the colder and colder climates. We couldn't comfortably survive without quilts. I keep two on my bed all winter. Interesting that you live in the UK. My ancestors left Weymouth, Eng and settled Weymouth, Massachuettus in 1632 - that was the beginging of the westward travels.

GrannyH,We are snowed in at the moment. It is the worst weather we have had here in England for 19 Years.It's funny you should say that your family came from Weymouth as my Husband was born not that far away from there on the coast. One of these days I plan to buy a Vintage Quilt, and hopefully the ones I leave behind will become Heirloom Quilts.Each member of my family have got at least 2 or 3 of the Quilts and Wallhangings I have made. My favourites are the Baby Quilts I make. I come from a big family, I am one of 8. I have three Sisters and had four Brothers, one who sadly died in an accident when he was just 18. I have got lots of nieces and nephews who now have children of their own. So each time a new baby is born I make a Quilt. I have got two more on the way. One we know is a boy and the other don't know yet. I don't understand this hankering people have for wanting to know what they are having. I'm just about to go upstairs and look at my stash and pick a pattern.I always seem to make girls quilts, so it will be nice to make a pattern up for a boys one. I'm determined to use all the fabric I have instead or going and buying even more. I have got fabric in nearly every room and cupboard in the House. I need to have a good sort out. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks Judie for your advice.At the moment I'm not at home an awful lot, but as soon as I get the chance I will try out your idea for my Egyptian Quilt. I think Quilters become a bit precious with their fabric sometimes. I've got a stash of beautiful fabrics that I keep saying I will use and end up admiring them and then putting them back in the cupboard thinking they are just too nice to cut up. So lately i've been using a new method of piecing, Square in a Square, which uses a bit more fabric and of course there is a little more wasteage. I throw the little pieces in the bin and then retrieve them again 5 minutes later, saying I will make something with them, but of course I never do. I suppose most quilters have the same problem with leftover fabric. I wonder how many actually make something with it.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.