Page 2 of 2 1 2
#176779 05/19/06 09:27 AM
Gecko
Gecko
4 cups Unbleached* all purpose flour
2 teaspoons Salty
4 teaspoons Baking powder
2 tablespoons Vegetable shortening or fat
1 1/2 cups Warm water or more if needed, perhaps 2 cups, or three.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. With a pastry blender, a fork or your (clean) hands, gradually work in the lard or shortening or fat until it is all incorporated (this means it's all mixed together). Add enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Soft but not sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured board (or it'll stick and you'll end up cussing and moaning) and knead (squash) for 5 minutes (or longer if you're in a foul mood).
Divide the dough into 1/4 cup (3 oz) portions and form them into balls, or funny shapes (I make cubes, because they're fun).
Roll each ball into a flat round about 6 inches in diameter and 1/8 inches thick. It'll spoil your nice shape, but it's fun.
Heat a large heavy skillet (a sort of frying pan**) over medium high heat. Place the tortillas one at a time into the dry hot skillet; cook until brown on one side, not burnt, then turn and brown the other side.
Remove from the skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.

Serve with a couple of bottles of wine and eat alone in a quiet room. Put a bit of jam on for sweetness.

* flour that hasn't been bleached (check this)
** skillet

Mind Flight Sonic Warriors free mp3's and hilarious movies involving swans by Robert P. Abelson "The field of statistics is misunderstood by ... Reviewer/1976:,
Peter Flom "statistical consultant" (New York, NY USA) - See ...
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#176780 12/14/06 11:39 AM
M
M
I got really great Chapatis (and Naan and Paratha but that's another story) with the mixes made by Punkawalla's. You can get them at www.naanmix.com

I know some of the mixes have cream and yogurt in them already! How d' they do that?

R
rub Offline
R
hi
i love making chapatis at home the key is the flour. I buy jcr chapati flour from
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
I have not had much luck making good chappatis. I was told that the problem related to having an electric stove as opposed to gas burners. I use a ceramic top stove, and the burners keep going on and off in order to maintain a relatively constant temperature. This causes the chappatis to become stiff, rather than soft and flexible. I am going to get a separate gas burner, and I'll see how that works out!

C
C
Wonderful recipe.Created some stuffed chapatis ended up using 100% wheat tortillas.Love www.currystyle.com/index.html Indian quick fixes,more time on the table less time in the kitchen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sadhana ~ Indian Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.