Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I agree, Phyllis.

Looking around at anything, force never - ever flies. Most times people, even in their own lives, are resistant to applicable change, even if it's a positive one, unless their current circumstances are so uncomfortable, they have to. It's just habit.

Parents are already stressed to the max right now. The very last thing they'll want to do before or after work will be dealing with going out of their way, downtown, the projects, etc. Plus, there is the safety factor and daylight hours to consider, availability of vehicles, scheduling other members lives to accomodate, etc.

Maybe if there were tax incentives (big ones) or if it was done during school hours, by the school, there would be more of a chance of taking off.

Also, people are still scrambling for work so parental attititude will play a factor plus, it kind of goes against the free-bee shaving off 2 years of highschool thing and graduation if the kids simply won't or don't want to do it. Seems there's a mixed signal between "Yes we can and less we can." If a kid doesn't want to do something, it's like dawn of the dead trying to make them do it.

In the "spiritual" world there's the saying you can reap a healing benefit as much if not more by focusing on healing someone or something else. Emotionally, though it's a nice idea I think most people in the midst of dispare find it difficult to subject themselves to inconvenience when they are watching their own lives and/or families struggle.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
B
hi, i just joined this site. but i am not happy with not being able to use my yahoo email, whatever the reason.

as for Obama's call to service, well, let's see, in my world, mandatory and volunteer are mutually exclusive. but, i remember growing up in a very different America than the one we have today. the idea that the value of helping others can be forced on another is not only ludicrous but, self defeating. i don't know about anybody else, but, i learned "charity", if you will, from my parents and neighbors. by the time a kid reaches middle school, the lesson has been learned.(anybody remember that little trite saying "charity begins at home"?).that is called freedom of choice. beware of the subtle erosion of our freedoms that has been taking place for years now. i would HOPE that this would CHANGE when Obama takes office. but, mandatory volunteering?? what in heaven's name is THAT? it's BS, dear ladies. Pure BS. it's getting child labor at no cost. as soon as you add "incentives" or "rebates" to it, you no longer have volunteers.

if you haven't already done so, i recommend you submit your visions and ideas directly to our President-elect by visiting his change.gov website. let him know NOW how you feel about this topic and any others. i have and i will.

in Liberty and sincerity,
Katherine

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
His idea is not new; it is a take-off on John F. Kennedy's call to ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country; and in this instance, countrymen. Actually, mandated service is not a bad idea. So many people are not aware of what gifts they have because they have not been exposed to opportunities to give of themselves. People would have to look into themselves and figure out what they can do for others. Men served in the armed forces when there was the draft and often came out better for their service. There are opportunities to be had.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.