Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I�ve been dating a new guy for two months, and I am falling hard and fast. He asked me to go to church with him, Sunday night, and I did, three times. I enjoyed the first couple times, and this last time, I cried. First you need to know there were only three married couples, two women, and us in attendance. The preacher talked about Second Corinthinas � Chapter 6:14 -15. Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
15. What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
Then he proceeds to use, in my opinion, us as an example: If you are a Christian single dating a non-Christian, save yourself the trouble and get out of the relationship as soon as possible.
I got choked up, I�m like he�s talking about us. (By the way, the morning sermon was NOT the same) And if I interpret this correctly, I change or get dumped. I cried on and off all night because ever since the 5th grade, starting with my father, men have wanted to change something about me. Then I got angry and I thought, wait� I AM A BELIEVER�The quote says unbelievers not non-Christians. I am still hurt, and not sure I want to go back.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
You say you are a believer but not a Christian? The quote is talking about Christians. Believers in that quote are those who have put their faith in Christ.
I'm not saying this to hurt you and it doesn't mean that you and your boyfriend should break up.

It does mean that before anyone thinks about entering into a serious relationship they should have deep discussions about what they both believe. If beliefs are different, it could cause problems in the future.

When I was younger I wouldn't have said that but now I have seen that spiritual beliefs become very important in raising children and even more important as you get older.

EDIT: Since you are falling hard and fast, you should feel comfortable in talking to your boyfriend about how you feel about the sermon. If you don't feel comfortable talking about it -- slow down on the falling.

Last edited by Lynne Chapman; 11/11/08 02:26 PM.
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
I still don't understand. The quote is in the Bible. I am sorry for my ignorance but are there different bibles for different faiths?

So believers are only Christians? Are Catholics Christians?

I do feel comfortable talking to him about this. We talked about it all night. I'm hurt more about the requirement that his preacher insinuate that I change, i.e., get baptized. I was baptized, made my first holy communion and been confirmed. I can't have children so there will be no "raising children".

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
If you have put your faith in Jesus Christ, you are a Christian. Christian doesn't just mean the Christian church. There are many denomination with different names.

A preacher's job is to create change. We all need to change as we grow and learn.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Lynn is right. It's what you "believe" as a believer. I had a relationship with someone who said he was a "believer" a long time ago. He believed in loving others, charity, the goodness of others, and he believed in God. He was a nice person. We had problems eventually because I am a "born-again" Christian. I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died on the cross for our sins. My friend did not believe that. He didn't believe the Bible was totally true.

Eventually it will cause a problem. Even if it takes years. The warning is as much for you as for the true believer.

Maybe you should, as Lynn said, have a heart-to-heart with your boyfriend about what he believes and what you believe. Maybe you will be surprised to find that you want to take that next step, if you haven't already. Maybe not.

But to answer the question in your subject line. Yes, if a pastor is fully committed to the Gospel, he is like that. There are some other denominations that are not like that.
I'm surprised your boyfriend didn't say anything about what was said at the service. Hopefully, you won't have to break up the relationship. b.

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
He said he didn't feel it was directed at us, and he told me to stop anyalyzing it so much, that he's not going to dump me. I think this church is a born-again Christian Church but they don't use the words born-again. I really don't understand the difference between Christians and Catholics other than I also pray thru the Blessed Mother, Mary, and he says she's just a vessel.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
This is a hard one.

I believe that some Catholics most definitely are Christian, while some rely on the fact that they were baptized as an infant and that they can go about and sin and then confess that sin (get it off their shoulderd) and go and do it again.

But we have some Baptists that do the exact same thing. Because their family has been going to the same church for 5 generations, they were baptized at the age of 10 after the Easter sermon, they can run around, get drunk, and act like "hellions" - because they're "saved" and they are going to Heaven, so it doesn't matter how they act.

Neither way of looking at it is correct.

And I've never liked using the word "believer" because Satan and the demons most definitely are "believers".

What separates a Christian from someone who just believes in the Bible is when someone has asked Jesus to be the Lord of their heart.

They have accepted the fact that they sin (we all do) and that without Jesus will continue to do so. We admit that we need Him in our lives, then we ask Him to please be part of us. Then everyday our actions are different. It is a different outlook. No, we don't automatically become non-sinning people, but we recognize things easier, we feel more torn about decisions - I guess Jesus cranks up our conscience level.

We try to live our lives like Him.

And it doesn't matter what denomination you are.

The only problem I have ever had with the Catholic church is that they seem to want to dstance God from us, by making us pray through emissaries and confess through priests. But God sent us Jesus to be our emissary and we can pray directly through Him. I undersdtand the not feeling worthy enough, but I'd rather talk directly to my Father than keep telling my kid brother to take messages to him. But this is just a difference of semantics I believe - it does not change a relationship with Jesus and God.

The problem comes in when we make the assumption that a sprinkling of water on our heads as an infant is going to give us a relationship with Jesus. We aren't even old enough to make a decision then. We have to make the decision to want Jesus in our hearts. I think that is where confirmation comes in. And some kids take it very serioiusly and do accept Christ, but some just see it as another piece of schooilwork.

Back to your origianl post. I am curious as to why you started crying? Anytime I feel moved to cry in a church sermon, it is because God is trying to speak to me. I usually have to go someplace by myself and be very quiet to listen. Maybe He is trying to speak to you, but it is getting all sidetracked with all of this?

Just a thought.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
dmichelle, I am not an expert and I am only going by my interpretation of the Bible and what I have learned from my pastors.

You talk about not wanting to be baptized but Jesus, Himself was baptized. In the Letter from John, Jesus is talking with Nicodemus and Nicodemus does not understand what Jesus means by being "born again". Jesus told him that he must be born again of water and Holy Spirit to see the Kingdom of Heaven. Being baptized in water is nothing more than making a public proclamation of your decision to follow Jesus and is symbolizing that you are washing the "old skin" off and putting on a new, clean skin.

That is a difference between Bible believing Christians and the Catholics. They feel you should be baptized when you are a baby and doing it by pouring a bit of water on the forhead. Jesus was submerged as was everyone else who was baptized. You cannot wash old skin off by pouring a bit of water on the forehead. You also should be old enough and with a sound mind, be able to proclaim your love for Jesus.

I am not here to bash any religion and those are just my feelings about the religion. I just wanted to tell you what I see as being born again.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
There are so many things about Catholicism that I don't believe...I have a real problem with Priests not being permitted to marry, and I agree, confession is absurd.

I cried because I thought..here we go again...CHANGE... I have to become born-again if this relationship is acceptable in the "Christian" church. I really felt the minister was telling him that he should call it quits with me unless, of course, I get baptized. His "unbeliever" interpretation made me sad.

I think you are right Chelle, this guy is the best thing that ever happened to me. He's opposite of any guy I ever dated, and everything I prayed for. I need to chill out and listen to what God is trying to tell me. I tend to think way too much, and this is all so new to me. Maybe I need to stop thinking of it as a burden, and I'll hear God's message.

D
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
D
Washing away the "old skin"...finally something that makes sense.

I am even confused among pastor, minister and preacher...

I am going to continue to go to church with him so I can learn more. My bf would be more than happy to answer my questions, but I don't want him to know how little I know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lynne - ChristianLiving 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.