Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door. If you believe something with all of your heart keep the door open to others that are not of your understanding. Let them come through. Please understand that they are not where you are. I remember in the old days in church when there was an altar call the people that came forward were motivated by the Holy Spirit which is Love. They were drawn to it. If something has so deeply touched our lives maybe we could open up and tell that person who ridicules us about the security and love we have found in what we have discovered. Bless every one of you!!

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 07/10/08 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#441438 08/06/08 10:48 AM
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but if you could explain in detail, I'd love to respond and know that God loves us all in spite of those that are not as responsive to loving others that differ in many ways. HOpe to hear from you soon.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
#446446 08/22/08 12:35 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door. If you believe something with all of your heart keep the door open to others that are not of your understanding. Let them come through. Please understand that they are not where you are. I remember in the old days in church when there was an altar call the people that came forward were motivated by the Holy Spirit which is Love. They were drawn to it. If something has so deeply touched our lives maybe we could open up and tell that person who ridicules us about the security and love we have found in what we have discovered. Bless every one of you!!

Kindness and open arms does more than anger or criticism. Good thoughts, Ancientflaxman!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
#446480 08/22/08 03:08 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
I am not a Christian but please let me ask a question here! Is it not possible that when we stand in strong defence of our beliefs we have just shut the door.

I just saw this thread today and wanted to comment. As a Christian, I don't "stand in strong defense" of my beliefs. I express my beliefs on occasion when I feel led to. But more than that, as a follower of Christ, I believe it's more important to "model" the peace and joy I have in my life. Then someone may want to know how to get that, and I can tell them. If they don't want it, that's ok. If they do, I'll help them learn more. Absolutely nothing is accomplished with hatred or hostility. You catch more bees with honey, as the saying goes.

Standing in defense of my faith means, personally, to me, I don't compromise my moral values when it would be easier to do so. For instance, the Bible says the number one law for us, that we MUST uphold, is loving your neighbor as yourself. We can't compromise on that. Jesus didn't say it was a "suggestion," but law! He didn't say, only if your neighbor is a fellow Christian. When I don't follow that law, I've not stood in defense of my beliefs.

Regarding what was said about shutting "the door" when you stand for your beliefs, I don't agree with that. Not to say a lot of Christians don't do that, because they do. Also nonChristians do it too. But not every Christian does it. However, there are some things that are true, core values for me as a Christian, and that door is not open. It would be, to me, like closing the door on breathing. I have to breathe to stay alive, and I have to believe.

But I can "listen" to other viewpoints and not give up my faith. I have to do that a lot with my husband, who is a Christian but has different ideas on certain subjects.

Good thread. The world needs more dialog on this topic. Might mean less war.

B
B
I read most of the posts on this topic and I have to say...WOW! There are several different view points, but one thing that I didn't see was calling it like it is. When you face opposition that's called persicution (pardon my typing, I'm exhausted). God's word tells us about suffering for our belief. As Christians, we must look at it as just that...living for our beliefs. We can tell others about Jesus without being judgemental. We can show them in love. But know that, inspite of loving them, they may still rebuke Jesus, but you have planted the seed. That is our calling as those saved by grace through faith. We must believe God to accomplish the rest. In Christ love,

becca

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Gal. 5:6
C
C
Everything that the Lord gives us to plant the seeds, water the seeds, etc....all Spiritual gifts, talents, etc....all that He gives to us are to be used for HIM.

We shouldn't take things personally from those who don't believe. It's not about us....and is all about HIM. We have work to do, and that work is rooted in humility (being humble because Jesus was humble; and HE paid the price for our sins in order to save us from death).

We are not to judge the world; period. God does not need any help in that department. When we start judging the world (any unbelievers)....guess what that is....us trying to be HIM. We're supposed to be LIKE HIM, not BE HIM. We are not His "cops" to the world.

We are to spread the Good News. The Holy Spirit is the One who does the convicting in a sinner's heart....not us. Something is wrong when the world sees us as "pushers". (Remember, a pusher is only out for themselves).

I don't serve Him because I fear punishment....I serve Him because I am learning to love Him daily. The more He grows me & molds me into His likeness....the more I WANT TO do His work. He shows me so much love and gently kindness that all I want to do is give it back to Him.

We are all just "learning to love Him". Some are farther in their walk than others....but we're all learning what true Love really is.

B
B
Amen sister! God is glorified when we submit to His will and humble ourselves to His Authority. It's seems so easy to say, but at times so hard to live because of our human nature. Isn't it wonderful to have such a forgiving Father, who knows just what we need and can radically change us if only we learn to surrender completely to Him!

becca

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hello everyone. Beccab, apparently you missed my two cents because that is exactly what I spoke about "persecution". I also would like to remind everyone that there is only one way to salvation and once you've obeyed God's word, then and only then will guidance through his word and the Holy Ghost teach the carnal mind to love, express love and represent Christ truly. It's impossible for a carnal, finite, corrupt nature like ours, to love as Christ speaks of, without the Holy Ghost.

We try as human beings to be nice, kind and some of us do it with the wrong motives but in turn, its still not according to what Jesus meant in his commandment. Its important that we read with understanding before we jump on the bandwagon of Christianity. Its more than saying you're a Christian. You must live the life as well.

Jesus never tore anyone down and neither should those of us who are striving to follow in his footsteps. Remember, many will be lost all due to unbelief (it says it in the bible - John 3:17-18), but just be sure that we that "are" Christians, are truly saints of God preparing for Jesus' coming. Tell those who will listen and continue to show love to those who will not. Every man will have to stand, whether he believes or not, in judgment.

Good comments everyone. Meanwhile, read Acts 2:38 and John 3:1-7. Good night.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
It makes me glad to know that you guys have found such peace in what you believe. That has power and it is the thing that changes lives!!!

#457425 10/07/08 03:01 AM
B
B
I'm not sure which 2 cents Kimmie is referring to, but I am a believer and have been since I was nine years old and prayed to God, admitting I was a sinner and asking Him to forgive me of my sins. I believe Jesus is the son of God, who came to Earth, lived a perfect life and sacrificed Himself in my place on the cross. He rose again on the third day and assended to heaven where He now sits at the right hand of God. "It is by grace through faith and that not of ourselves" that we are saved. The Holy Spirit now lives in my heart. I try to follow God's will for my life through prayer and the studying of His Word. Because of this satan attacks me and my faith is tested. This is where persecution comes in. But wouldn't you agree, the persecution we go through in this free country is nothing compared to other countries and NOTHING compared to what Jesus endured in His life and death. I'm sure you would agree. Being a Christian is an everyday, sometimes every hour recommitment to God. Salvation is once and forever. Christian...meaning Christ like is something we strive for and are honored to be labeled as such!

becca

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.