Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431332 06/29/08 11:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
This is probably a thread I should have started a few months ago. Oh well... but at least I've finally gotten around to it.

My first exposure to anime would have happened back in the late 1970's, when my father was in the military and was stationed in Japan. I lived in Japan between the ages of one and five, so I don't have a lot of memory of that time period. However, I do have some vague memories of watching Candy Candy on television.

The first exposure to anime that I can truly remember is seeing Star Blazers in Hawaii back in 1983. I seem to recall also managing to catch an occasional rerun of Battle of the Planets on cable (and the main reason Battle of the Planets caught my attention was due to the fact that we had a 45 RPM record from Japan that had a picture of the Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets characters on it).

The mid-80's was my peak in watching anime, when I was watching Voltron and Robotech in first-run syndication. I have to admit that during the 1990's, I didn't watch much in the way of anime (Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z didn't grab my attention at the time).

I really have my kids to thank for getting me back into anime again, thanks in large part to Pokemon. They also watched a little bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Hamtaro, but Pokemon has remained a favorite of theirs.

After becoming the Anime editor, I started watching properties that I had never been exposed to before, and have come to appreciate a lot of what I've seen. Some of those properties include Chobits, Inuyasha, and Noein: To Your Other Self.

Would anyone else like to share how they became interested in anime?

Lesley Aeschliman
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I first got into anime a little over ten years ago when I happened across an episode of Rurouni Kenshin on Cartoon Network. I branched out from there into other licensed animes like Inuyasha, Kiddy Grade, Full Metal Panic, etc.

When I met my now-husband, he was also very interested in anime and we slowly began expanding our anime dvd collection.

Lately I've been more interested in fansubbed animes (for those non-otaku, those are animes not licensed by American companies and are instead subtitled by fans who simply love anime). I've gotten to the point where I can't stand watching English dubs, I guess you could say I'm an anime connoisseur laugh

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I got into anime because of my oldest child.

He was watching Naruto and kept talking about the "sexy jutsu" - and this just did not sound like something I wanted me kid watching, so I told him he couldn't watch it again until I watched it with him.

It was actually kind of a funny thing, and I wound up getting into the story line, and got hooked on it myself.

Then wherever I looked on the web people were always fighting over whether Naruto or Bleach was better, so I decided to see what thast hoopla was about - and I REALLY got hooked. I even have my own little Kon sitting next to my bed decorated in my daughter's team colors. He goes to all her cheer events with us as our "fighting machine".

KON

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Lesley! Have you seen Jase's newest avatar?

It's an Ichigo penguin!!!! laugh

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
My oldest is what got me into to this whole spectrum of craziness with pizazz. It was the Pokemon cards, then the pokemon collection of cards with card holder, then she got the middle child into it with Dragon Ball and now the third loves Bakugan and Naruto. They all watched, this past summer, the Avatar episodes from the beginning of Avator up to the most recent. Its the most quite we've had in the house in a long time.

We have DVR and I have the program for Bakagon taping every morning at 5a for my son to see later in the day. He loves this show as much as I luuuuvvvvv, Y&R.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
S
S
I first got into anime when i still a little girl

Last edited by Lesley - Anime Editor; 11/11/08 10:30 PM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I used to watch Speedracer when I was young. I lliked it but it was so different from other things I watched on tv that I wasn't aure what to make of it.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
K
K
It was very interesting to read history about you. But Anime it are not pleasant to me, though cartoon film Naruto, was very interesting. But I not the admirer of such cartoon films.

I first got a taste of anime when I was still a kid watching those Voltes V and Voltron mech animes. What really got me addicted again was when I started reading the Love Hina manga, which I later found to have an anime version. Then I watched Vandread, and from then watched many, many other animes (i've already lost count). Like MiraKitty, I like watching fansubs rather than the dubbed ones. They sound more authentic that way (and funnier). I consider Hayao Miyazaki my Anime God for creating great, award-winning anime movies like Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke), and Howl's Moving Castle among many others.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I was hooked in the early '70's when I was watching Simba the White Lion, Astroboy and Speed Racer. I fell in love with it when Battle of the Planets arrived in Australia.

I also remember when it was called "Japanimation".

In the early '80's I was part of the forming of an Anime club in Brisbane, and we avidly watched grainy sixth hand video tapes - usually in Japanese with no subs.

Yes - I watched Star Blazers and all the others, but at heart, I'm a Gatchaman / Battle of the Planets gal.

Does anybody remember a movie called "Space Firebird"? It was the first time I saw anime on the big screen - and have never been able to find it since - or find out what the Japanese version was called.

One of my faves of late is Howl's Moving Castle.

Megan McConnell
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm not really into anime but I have a cool anime avatar.

Arrow Durfee
Stomach Issues
Stomach Issues Forum

"and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" John Lennon

R
R
I have started watching anime show from last year, when my friend told me about American Dad American dad American dad show. It is was very funny. I have started watching American dad from season 2.

Last edited by razet93; 01/05/11 07:38 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.