logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Radioactive Iodine FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

The thyroid gland and iodine
Iodine is essential for proper function of the thyroid gland, which uses it to make the thyroid hormones. The thyroid is equipped with an active system or �pump� for moving iodine into its cells.

What is radioactive iodine (RAI)?
Iodine can be made into two radioactive isotopes that give off radiation for medical uses: I-123 (harmless to thyroid cells) and I-131 (destroys thyroid cells). RAI is safe to use in individuals who have had allergic reactions to seafood or X-ray contrast agents, since the reaction is to the compound containing iodine, not the iodine itself.

RAI for thyroid imaging
I-123 is the isotope used to take pictures and determine the activity of the thyroid gland (Thyroid Scan and Radioactive Iodine Uptake, RAIU), since it is harmless to thyroid cells no special precautions are necessary after a thyroid scan or RAIU.

RAI for treatment of thyroid disorders

Normal Thyroid Tissue - I-131 is given to destroy overactive thyroid tissue (see Hyperthyroidism brochure) or to shrink thyroid glands that are functioning normally but are causing problems because of their size. Patients are asked to follow some precautions (see below). Mild pain in the thyroid after I-131 can be treated with aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen. The RAI treatment may take up to several months to have its effect.

Thyroid Cancer - Large doses of I-131 are used to destroy thyroid cancer cells (see Thyroid Cancer brochure). Depending on state regulations, you may have to stay isolated in the hospital for about 24 hours to avoid exposing other people to radiation, especially if there are small children living in the same home with you. Pain and swelling of the salivary glands after high doses of I-131 therapy may be minimized by drinking plenty of fluids and may possibly be prevented or reduced by sucking on lemon drops.

Precautions after treatment with I-131 RAI
Since I-131 RAI produces radiation, patients must do their best to avoid radiation exposure to others, particularly to pregnant women and small children (see instructions outline in table). The amount of radiation exposure markedly decreases as the distance from the patient increases. Patients who need to travel in the time immediately after I-131 RAI treatment are advised to carry a letter of explanation from their physician. This is because radiation detection devices used at airports or in federal buildings may pick up even radiation levels thought to be safe. Details should be discussed with your physician prior to, and at the time of, your treatment.

Long term risks of I-131 RAI
In general, RAI is a safe and effective treatment for the thyroid disorders mentioned above. Hypothyroidism is a common side effect of RAI and is easily treated (see Hypothyroidism brochure). Some studies suggest a slight increase in thyroid cancers after RAI treatment for hyperthyroidism. Loss of taste and dry mouth due to salivary gland damage may be seen after treatment of thyroid cancer and may possibly be prevented by using lemon drops. The risk of some other cancers may also increase after the doses of I-131 used to treat thyroid cancer. Importantly, once you have been treated with RAI, regular medical follow-up is lifelong.

Special concerns for women
RAI, whether I-123 or I-131, should never be used in a patient who is pregnant or nursing. Also, pregnancy should be put off until at least 6 - 12 months after I-131 RAI treatment, since the ovaries are exposed to radiation after the treatment. There is no clear evidence that RAI leads to infertility, although earlier menopause may occur.

Special concerns for men
Men who receive RAI treatment for thyroid cancer may have decreased sperm counts and temporary infertility for periods of roughly two years. Sperm banking is an option in a patient who is expected to need several doses of RAI for thyroid cancer.

Instructions to reduce exposure to others after I-131 RAI treatment
Action Duration (days)
Delay return to work 1
Limit time in public places 1
Do not travel by airplane or public transportation 1
Do not travel on a prolonged automobile trip with others 2-3
Maintain prudent distances from others (~3 feet) 2-3
Drink plenty of fluids 2-3
Do not prepare food for others 2-3
Do not share utensils with others 2-3
Flush the toilet 2-3 times after use 2-3
Sleep in a separate bed (~7 feet of separation) 5-11*
Avoid prolonged close contact with children and pregnant women 5-11*

*duration depends on dose of I-131 given

REFERENCES
Pearce EN, Braverman LE. Hyperthyroidism: advantages and disadvantages of medical therapy. Surg Clin North Am. 2004 Jun;84(3):833-47.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
- Scientists on the Graves list who had RAI (and at least one wouldn't have had he been female) took precautions around their families for a MONTH.

- RAI WILL result in lifelong hypothryoidism. Before having RAI a patient must research proper treatment of hypoT and be sure his/her dr. will offer optimal treatment.

- The risk of developing thyroid eye disease inreases with RAI, and patients who have it are more likely to experience exacerbation, even with steroids taken prior to RAI.

- Anti thyroid drugs have a greater success rate in other countries, where drs. have more experience with them and administer them properly. I can not tell you how much abuse and improper administration I, a lay person, have seen from on line accounts.

- I haven't checked out this list in a while but one of the best sources I've seen is the homepage of graves_support@yahoogroups .

- For the record, I've been in remission from Graves for nearly 7 years after 14 months on methimazole.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.