logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
joanj #420603 05/22/08 11:03 AM
Shark
Shark
I suggest the google toolbar. I use it more than any other add-on toolbar.

You can check your gmail, rss feeds, PR - of course, and even save bookmarks that you can access from ANY internet-connected computer.

It's a great tool.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Thanks BellaMeg. I'll look into that one.

When I used to have a page rank tool it was helpful for knowing if I wanted to link to the site from one of my pages or not.

joanj #421145 05/25/08 09:48 AM
Shark
Shark
I don't really use PR when deciding whether or not to link to a page.

If I'm writing about it - I'll link to it. If it's relevant to what I'm writing about - I'll link to it.

And it's got to be a quality site, too.

In my opinion the whole point of linking to a site is to promote something worthwhile. If it's unethical or lame, no matter how much PR or reciprocal PR potential - I wont link.

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
It helps with your own google rankings tho if you link to sites with a PR of 3 or, preferably higher. When I first started my site, I only linked to sites that were ranked about 4 or 5 and I think it helped me get my own site up in the rankings-or it was one of the things I did, anyway.

To me, at that time, it was about getting my own site seen and read. Since then, I have linked to any site that I saw as having content I wanted to promote or info that added some dimension to my own site.

joanj #421523 05/26/08 10:16 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Internet traffic is growing every day. In general there is a *slight* drop in June-July-August but for most people the internet is a cyclical world. My Champagne pages spike in December. My sangria pages spike in the summer. You can't expect any topic to be a steady level all year around. That wouldn't make sense smile You have to watch what people search on and pay attention to that. Articles on skiing will do well in the winter. They'll do less well in the summer.

But since more and more people exist in the world every year, and more and more people are on the internet every month, traffic *should* always be growing. By knowing your cycles, and ensuring you have content in every "section" of the year, when one topic is dropping off you should have another topic naturally growing.

I definitely do NOT recommend linking to sites. You get far more traffic for your site if you have great content. If you start linking you have great danger of being tagged as a link farm. I've never seen any benefit at all in linking or receiving links.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Usually I do pretty well most of the year. I have weightloss pages that do great from January to about May, then I have wellness travel pages for the summer and wellness gift pages for the fall for Christmas shopping.

I think what happened is that one certain page just disappeared from the rankings and then the rest have tapered off for summer.

I've decided to just let that site go along for a while without my doing anything and I'm focusing on other projects, like my blog. If I'm going to have multiple streams of income, at some point I need to let the website become a passive income anyway or there won't be time to have the "mulitple" part.

I have 2 friends with websites that are fairly successful. They rarely add new content anymore or even look at their stats and things seem to go along fine.

joanj #424220 06/06/08 05:53 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sharing some google gossip from the net that might be related?

Apparently other site users such as squidoo users have been badly affected by something called a 'google slapback!'

- where some of their top 100 pages have dropped like a stone down to where they started. I am amazed how philosophic about it they are! Most are just going to start again from the beginning building traffic!

No-one seems to know why this has happened but I wonder if they are penalising sites with duplicate or thin content?

The top 100 seem unaffected but are very full and comprehensive - if interested in comparing, I have written there myself on London Budget Travel:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
From what I understand, search engines HATE duplicate content! You have to be really careful about that.

I'd heard too that there was something that happened with squidoo too.

joanj #424461 06/07/08 04:07 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
What do you think it means when page rank rises even though views stay static?

My London web-page is rising nicley (to my surprise) yet without many people seeing it yet?

Just wondering if I'll be penalised too, or not. My content is genuine and recent however - maybe that's why?

(PS Off-topic - we bought some exciting supersize me strawberry plants today! Can't wait to see them ripen! Any health benefits? Might pop over to the gardening forum too. Will post separately about them!)

Shark
Shark
The green PageRank symbol in google's toolbar is based on data that is about 3 months old. It's not going to change daily, or overnight.

And overall, is a reflection of the quality of your site, it's usefulness, rather than the traffic.

You can easily get a full rundown on what kind of traffic you're getting, where they are coming from and how long they stay on your site, by joining Google Analytics. It's free, and the data is quite enlightening!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Angel - Business Coach 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.