Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
Ukraine past new laws (about a week ago) preventing single women from adopting and stoping some adoptions in their tracks. Some women lost children they already considered their own.

What do you think of single parents adopting? Man or woman?

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
I think that singles should be allowed to adopt, just like anyone else. smile

I feel so, so bad for those whose adoptions have stopped due to the new law. It's just so, so sad.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I think that they want children in a stable, healthy environment. Most of the time singles are like they say "single and ready to mingle", and this sorta unstable behavior could affect a child negatively.So that might be the reason why they may not be allowed to adopt.

*Transitions*
K
k2y Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I think one parent is far better than none.

Most adoption laws seem to do children more harm than good. It's sad that the law makers who claim to have the best interest of the child in mind pass regulations that have the opposite effect.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
I guess you can look at it both ways--not all two parent homes are stable, nor are either ready to be parents.

I've seen some single, stable happy families, and some not so happy. And, I've seen some families with two parent families that are stable and happy, and then, some not so much.

But I don't think anyone should be denied the chance to have a child in their life based on their marital status.

However, in an ideal world only the people who had the best intentions would get approved and provide a wonderful life for their child--single or not. smile

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses--what a good topic to discuss! smile

Last edited by Cooking For Kids Editor; 05/01/08 02:52 PM.
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I agree with the fact that some two parent homes are not stable, due to what my friends have told me. So it should be determined by how healthy of an environment the child is going to be raised in. Does anyone know the reason why they denied to single parents?

*Transitions*
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi Pink Lady!

I'm not sure of the exact reason--maybe others will chime in. You bring up some really good points, though!

I am looking forward to learning more about all aspects of the adoption process. Just when you think you know all there is to know about adoption, it seems that there is more knowledge right around the corner.

smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
For some reason they only want to place children in "ideal circumstances".

Tell me how many homes are truly "ideal"?

Yes, it would be great if every child up for adoption could be placed with a stable father-figure and mother-figure. But I think it is way more important that these children be gotten out of the foster home switch around and placed with loving parent(s).

Look at how many single moms and dads that raise their jkids due to divorce or death, and do a fantastic job. I know a single mom that raised 3 boys all on her own when her husband left her - and those boys were the some of the best kids I have ever met. They were respectful, responsible, and good students - and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that they saw how much work their mom did and they honestly appreciated and respected her.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
G
Gecko
Gecko
G

If we don't legislate against single young girls or women having babies then why legislate against a mature single, who's possibly well financed, having a child by adoption? It makes so sense.

Tiger
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Mindy - Adoption Editor
Ukraine past new laws (about a week ago) preventing single women from adopting and stoping some adoptions in their tracks. Some women lost children they already considered their own.

What do you think of single parents adopting? Man or woman?

This is ridiculous. With so many homeless and unloved children in the world how is it any organization or government can think that a single parent can not do an adequate job. There are families with two parents that can't live up to some single parents. They are losing out on a valuable resource.

M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
These kids not only need out of foster homes but in Ukraine its worse off they need to be out of baby houses (baby orphanages) internats (older child orphanges) vocational schools (for teens) and mental institutions!

The "single and ready to mingle thing" agrevates me - yes there are singles like that - but they are NOT the ones seeking to adopt. Adoption costs thousands of dollars and takes so much time and effort that only the truely commited attempt it. Especially those who do it alone.

if the standard is that ukraine doesn't support single parents are they going to remove every child from a single parent home?

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
There are so many single parents in today's society, of all races and cultures and for many reasons. I see no reason why a single person would not be allowed to give a child the home and love that child so desparetely needs. I raised my two children on my own and did quite well, stumbled a lot, but they are fine, responsible and loving adults now.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
People don't understand that, that is what the homestudy is for. It weeds out the singles and yes the couples that can't handle adoption. Beyond that these parents are commited - heck they spend tens of thousands of dollars just to bring their little ones home!

It is especially tragic to change this law mid adoption for some - with children with special needs - who will soon be sent to an intitution - an institution where 80% die within one year! frown see my post about "why singles shoudl be allowed to adopt" to see a certain little one who faces this reality!

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It is quite unfortunate that countries are making laws such as these. You are right that children are the ones who suffer most. A stable, loving home with one parent is far better than none at all.

M
Mindy - Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M
And sometimes a stable one parent home - is better than a two parent home (its based entirely only the quality of the parentinng not the quantity!!)

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deanna - Adoption Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.