Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It can happen to anyone, at any time, without any warning - the dreaded computer crash! Yep. It happened to me. The day after I finished my taxes my computer stopped working - apparently the system was as tired of the IRS as I was! grin

The article this week is about my experience trying to recover my system with another article coming soon about the utility that I used.

Happy Geeking!

Recovering From a Computer Crash

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
If a computer switches off again the minute it starts - does that count as a crash?

Luckily I have my laptop, but the kids have lost their PC!

It just says 'no signal input' and the monitor won't switch on.

All advice appreciated!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Wow Allison you poor thing! It really is SO important to have backups. We are only really reminded of that when our systems fail!

BellaShorts - have you tried a different monitor just to rule out the monitor as an issue?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks Lisa - yes we tried a different monitor - it did the same - just put itself on standby after a minute or so - so frustrating! If we could just see the icons, I could probably fix it. Computer shops can charge a fortune for a tiny programming/start up error!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It took me a while before I was able to recover files from my last crash. One of the boot disks finally worked.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Your Short Stories Editor
Thanks Lisa - yes we tried a different monitor - it did the same - just put itself on standby after a minute or so - so frustrating! If we could just see the icons, I could probably fix it. Computer shops can charge a fortune for a tiny programming/start up error!

It *might* be a bad video card - hard to diagnose over the Internet - but if you tried a different monitor and still have problems that would be my next step for testing.

If it is the OS placing the monitor into standby then there are ways around that - let me know and I can help.

P.S. - Sorry for not responding earlier - my system crashed again and is making my life/work VERY difficult.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Seems to be a lot of crashes about! That's ok, thanks for response - shall I just buy another video card? OS? I will check for this - how do I approach it?

Thanks for help.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
What OS are you using? The power save settings are typically in the control panel under power options.

After reading the posts again I am leaning more towards a bad video card than power options.

You can purchase a new video card to see if that fixes the issue. If the computer has a separate video card (instead of on the motherboard) just remove the card and bring when getting a new card to make sure they match.

If the video is on board then you want to check the specs on your computer so you get a video card that will work properly with your system.

Make sure that that the place you buy the card from will allow you to return it if that is not the issue.

Keep us posted!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks, we're using Windows XP which we've always been happy with. I don't suppose we can try the Master Boot Disc if we can't see a screen? Are video cards tricky to remove?

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
If it is a faulty video card then the boot disc will most likely not work. If it is an issue with Windows XP and video drivers or settings then you could try to boot to safe mode and fix the issue.

Video cards are not the difficult to remove but it really depends on the computer. I usually find that the cover for the computer is the hardest part to remove and put back on! LOL

Usually the video card (if not on the motherboard) is seated into a slot and held in place with a screw. To remove the card you need to remove the screw and gently remove the card from the slot. When you get a replacement it can be placed in vacant slot.

This is a basic description but it should not be that bad. If you need more information let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allison_PCAdvice 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.