Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OK, the idea of having the sex offenders all housed together makes sense to me. It makes keeping an eye on them easier, keeping your kids away from that area easier.

That being said...this building is very close to a day care, elementary school, and middle school which does not make sense.

So, yes, keep the sex offenders togther and not spread out - but keep them in areas away from children.

You know, when the colonies were first being formed, my beloved Georgia was actually a penal state - where all the bad little redcoats went. Maybe we should set up somewhere out in say - Utah (yeah, hot, nothing around for miles except desert) and house all the sex offenders out there. They can keep each other entertained! (Sorry Utah...)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Going back to the civil rights end of it, I've thought for a long time now that the sex offenders list should be made public based on the classifications that some of them already have. When sex offenders are added to these lists, they are supposed to be analyzed by mental health professionals, and classified for law enforcement based on the likelihood of repeat offenses. The public should not have access to ones that were pleas like the one mentioned at the beginning of this, or ones that the professionals are willing to stake their careers on by saying that they won't do it again. The goal of these laws are to protect the public, not permanently punish the offenders. Otherwise, there should be more strict rules on where the ones that are likely to strike again end up living, like grouping them together - not necessarily in the desert!

Elizabeth Ross
Pro-Choice
Koala
Koala
I'm a bit torn on this one. As a mom, I want to know who and where the "monsters" are. But, as a civil rights supporter, I believe that once a person has finished their punishment (all time served, no longer on parole) they have the right to attempt to regain their humanity. Of course, the role of the U.S. penal system is no longer "rehabilitation" and the likelihood folks are getting adequate psychiatric or other "treatment" while incarerated is probably very low.

I think I could talk myself in circles on this one...

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I feel that if someone, in this case a sex offender, has taken away the rights of someone else by invasion and attack then their own rights should be taken away.

I agree with Michelle on this housing them all together - but, I would also have each one of them branded on the forehead!

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 04/15/08 01:08 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
Gecko
Interesting discussion. I think there should be distinctions between different types of sexual offense. A fool who decides to streak down the street in drunken revelry should not be put in the same category as a serial rapist. I want to know who the REAL threats are, not jump at every person who has that label slapped on them for things that aren't actually dangerous, just stupid.

Plus, while a few of those rapists do it again, the majority of rape is done by those that the family knows, like close friends, family members, or dates. I think it's a little myopic to put all this attention on the people who we already KNOW are offenders while ignoring the more real danger that's closer to home.

Having said that, I'd love it if rapists were castrated on the spot. I have no mercy for someone who violates another person (and although molesting a child is horrid, why are they the only ones mentioned? Adults matter too, teens matter too, NO ONE should be violated in that manner!)

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes, I'd love to know the classifications. Some states only tell you they are an offender, others give more details. I don't care about someone who messed with his girl friend, or the drunken college streaker.

Meanwhile, while we're having this discussion about prosecutors making plea deals, and us not being able to identify who can hurt or children, somewhere (and forgive me I don't know where or have a link to the story); my mother tells me a 6-yr old is suspended in school and will have something on his record for patting a girl who walked by his desk. I don't know if he got her in the behind or what.

You have to love this country. I can't tell who the real danger is outside of the elementary school system. Please!

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
S
S
I don't agree with treating sex offenders differently from any other class of criminal. The registries are just fomenting public fear and hysteria, and occasionally vigilante murders. It's a complete triumph of mob mentality over reason.

Last edited by Sue R.; 04/26/08 10:48 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mob mentality? Are there examples you can point to? I don't know that there is a mob mentality unless you are talking about in prison, which the system should correct. So, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

The registry is pretty much useless because you don't know what level of offender they are. Laws still protect the offenders from harrassment I believe so I don't think there is anything wrong with that part of the system.

Essentially, I'm sorry, you committ a crime like this to a child, you should be thankful you got to live and take your societal lumps. You are not like any other class of criminal. You are the lowest of the low. And you would be damn lucky if it was one of mine own that it didn't end in a vigilante murder because for as few as there are so be it. I'm a Christian women and don't believe in taking another life but I really don't know how I'd feel if it was my child.

Outside of victims and their families trying to assure true sex offenders don't get a slap on the wrist and an opportunity to do it again by frequent trips to the courthouse during trials and such, I don't see where there is a mob mentality. Quite the contrar. Especially in the case of children coming forward from abuse years later and trying to buck the system. I wish there were people lining up to get justice and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

In fact, they have it better than any other class of criminal when you think about it. The power they weild over a child who might be too afraid to come forward, and then when they do statutes in the law favor the offender. Hmmm, sounds divine. I wonder why there is fear. Unfortunatley I don't think there is enough hysteria personally.

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

S
S
One really good treatment of the subject is found at http://66.165.94.98/stories/polnirr97.html

Here's a story about one of those so-called lowest of the low you were talking about:

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/news/stories/20040608/localnews/595940.html

Last edited by Sue R.; 04/26/08 11:58 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Sue. I appreciate you sending that info my way and I will read it because this is an important topic.

Currently I'm familiar with a case in our neck of the woods, where the offenders came through later and not too many of them can prosecute, so it isn't really news and that is a shame because there were numerous victims involved.

And welcome to Bella by the way, I note you joined today and I hope you enjoy the community. I really like it here and there are a lot of nice people in all of the forums discussing a variety of topics.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.