Next Thread
Print Thread
#409558 04/21/08 12:29 PM
O
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
O
Computers have fast become a big part of our working lives. Typing, emailing, graphic design, software programming, instant messaging, conference calls, internet research, you name it... we do it all with computers.

So have you (or anyone you know) had any computer related mishaps of late?

Have you worked on a project for hours only to lose it in a power surge because you'd failed to save? Have you had any nasty encounters with viruses and the like?

Do share your PC horror story!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I used to work for my Mom's catering company as the office admin person. All except for the tax stuff, which my brother handled.

Well, my brother got an offer to be the head chef at a new restaraunt opening up - which he really couldn't turn down. But it coincided with my getting remarried.

While I was on my honeymoon the computer crashed. My darling little brother had not backed up the tax or employee payment records in over 3 months. And he was so busy opening the new restaraunt, that he could barely get by my mom's place. She was freaking out. Wound up writing the employee's check that week out of her own personal account because she couldn't figure out how to make anything work.

After I got back, it took me a full month to put everything back together, working late every night - a lovely start to my new marriage!

Luckily my hubby does network security, and he introduced me to the wonders of backup tapes and external systems. So we never ran into the same problem again.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
O
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
O
Aww Bless you, Michelle.

I agree - not a very great start to a new marriage! I'm glad you've got back-up facilities in place now as the thought of a repeat performance would be just dreadful.

I was working on a book once and lost a couple chapters when my old laptop crashed. It was not nice...

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
The timing on this thread is so funny (ironic, not ha-ha)

I was watching the news last night (Atlanta, GA) and one of the top stories was about a city near here called Lithonia.

Apparently there has been a HUGE internal struggle with the town council, the mayor and the police chief - a fistfight broke out at the town council meeting last Monday, and the mayor tried to fire the police chief (got voted down).

The mayor then tried to walk out with her computer, but was stopped. But the next day the computer was missing from the town hall. It had ll of the city's financial records - including payroll, and it was the only copy! No backups anywhere, so the city is at a complete standstill because they have no idea what to do about anything.

I know this sounds like a complete fairy tale, but here's the news link:
Fox Atlanta News: City Computer Missing

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
O
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
O
Thanks for sharing this, Michelle.

This computer horror story certainly takes the cake!!

Moderated by  Maria - Computer Careers 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.