logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Since I've just posted an article on this, I was wondering what you all think about comprehensive sexual education. Is it an important part of the pro-choice movement? Is it important for society to fight to restore/keep it in our schools? Why or why not?

Last edited by Liz-Pro-Choice Editor; 04/18/08 04:13 PM.

Elizabeth Ross
Pro-Choice
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
k2y Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
I applaud you on a fantastic article, Liz!

As a teacher in the public school system, I think it is absolutely imperative that comprehensive sexual education be made readily available to adolescents.

There is no official sex education program offered in the school where I teach and I believe this is a serious disservice to our student population. After hearing several of the misconceptions that many of my students have about sex, sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy, I see how important it is for adolescents to be educated on these very important issues.

Students are going to learn about all of these things one way or another and I think it makes more sense for them to get accurate information from an official sex education program where they can find support than it does for them to get possibly inaccurate information from their friends or learn the hard way through experience.

Gecko
Gecko
Nice article, what's funny is that in the CF area I asked about people's experience with sex ed.BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gecko
Gecko
As someone who did NOT have Sex Ed class (I have no idea why) I am overly thankful for my best friends Aunt (who was about 25 when we were in High School) and she certainly educated us. There was no one else. Now I know this will make you laugh but this is really true, when we were in about 3rd grade we were under the impression that you could get pregnant by holding hands and we certainly were convinced then that boys did have cooties and this was why. Her Aunt gave us a ride every morning to school and once in the car she would ask, what questions do you two have for me today, and boy did we have them and she told us the truth. It did not however stop a pregnancy, yes my friend ended up pregnant as a senior. In my opinion it is not only important to teach Sex Ed, it is also important to pair that up with relationship advice or information. What I mean by that is we all know that there is a time that things get "out of hand" so to speak and I think there needs to be "advice" on how to back out of it, how to say no, explain what they are feeling, even if the other person insist how much they love you and how they will take care of you etc. etc. I am not trying to man bash here, it works both ways. Honestly I think we teach our children how to say NO to a drug dealer and mean it but we don't really teach them how to say no to sex and mean it. Plus they want to know "why", I have boys and I tell ya they had a lot of questions for me, I answered them honestly and I also made sure to sort of remove myself personally, meaning I really wanted to tell them something like "ok if you start having sex, it will fall off and run away and you will NEVER find it, leaving you to sit down the rest of your life to go to the bathroom" (that was myself as a Mom talking) but I couldn't do that and I didn't. Plus do not lie, someone else will educate them and probably not how you want it. Since I do not have girls alls I can say about that is I do have nieces and if they asked me something, I would answer.

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I belong to an informal group of friends who speak with each other's children about sex. Our logic is to avoid the "ick" factor with our own children by telling certain friends what we really want our kids to know. I know I will have to do "the talk" with one friend's daughter soon - my daughter already talked with that friend a few times. I end up talking to most of the kids, since I know a bit more on little things like abortion and GLBT lifestyles. Still hate it when I have friends calling in terror, asking if I think their kids might be gay!

Elizabeth Ross
Pro-Choice
Elephant
Elephant
Just my 2 cents on the usage of gay lifestyle... the word lifestyle implies choice. It is much more prefered to use gay life verses lifestyle... ok of my soapbox.

I did not get any sort of comprehensive sex education. My parents were older so sex talk was taboo. I learned about reproduction through reading and studying things in the encyclopedia. I got a mini abstinence only type of education in my health class along with this is what happens if you have sex, gonnorhea, syphalis, etc.

We were taught the chaulk method... you know.. take a piece of chalk and put it between your crossed knees... and don't remove it until you are married.

And people wonder why our VID, STD, AIDS/HIV and pregnancy rates are so high. GIve people an education. What they do with it is their business but they will still be educated and can make a more informed decision.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

Moderated by  Suzanne-Pro-Choice Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.