Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#404873 04/09/08 04:16 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thank-you to Claybird who explained the difference between USA and UK birds.(see the Christmas bird count thread to understand.)

The reason I'm writing this now is this morning I had a red-winged black bird at my backyard feeder. I've had feeders for years but never saw one at a feeder before. It was very exciting because the feeder is close to the back door so I got a very clear view of it!

Spring is unusually late arriving here this year so I hope the birds aren't too stressed.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Congratulations, Helen! Red-wings don't usually come to feeders, they mainly focus on marshes and wet areas. I've only rarely seen one at my feeders.
They're not exactly great singers but I do love their "conk-a-reee!" call, it sounds so free and joyful. The way I feel in spring!

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We just returned from a trip to Missouri and were completely amazed to be driving through a Red-Wing "convention." As soon as we were west of Memphis they were everywhere, all the way to Missouri. We tried to count them, but gave up after over 100 in less than 50 miles. They are so rare in Southeast GA, it was a treat to see them flitting about in the fields along the highway.

We also saw a few wood storks and hawks. I was a bit disappointed in not seeing more hawks, but then the weather was crazy this past weekend.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I sometimes wonder if Redwinged Blackbirds are the most plentiful bird in the USA, certainly they must be right up there. I don't think there is any road in the midwest and plains states that isn't lined with Redwings. You generally seem to see one male on a fence post or tree every 100 yards or so. It's those drainage ditches along the roadsides that are such a Redwing magnet, I think.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
In Washoe Valley, Nevada, the redwinged blackbird congregates in pastures close to water, usually marsh lands. They often come into my mother's backyard to the birdfeeders and she enjoys them so much. I did not realize till I saw them myself last week that they have such a loud, shrill whistle. They are so pretty.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Tiger
Tiger
We see more and more red-winged black birds at our feeders and in the neighbourhood every year. More and more marshes are being filled in to build more houses(I don't know where the people come from).

I wish more builders would build sensibly, leaving behind sections of green or marsh areas.

In our area and all along the west coast it is illegal to build in "wet-lands" and they have to be kept natural for the wildlife which live there. I would hate to see such beautiful birds disappear due to new homes being built.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think the reason I'm seeing the red wings at my feeder every day is the new subdivision going up next to our property. Their regular marshy/field habitat is gone and they are using what ever resources are available. I'm glad I can help, but it saddens me to see it happen.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I love red winged blackbirds smile We see a few around our feeders, but I mostly see them perched in marshes, looking out over their domain. It's so fun to see them.

Interestingly, I'm not sure that I have any photos of one!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Only once have I seen them and they are beautiful. There was a flock of them under a feeder at my mother's house. They were there for about an hour and then they disappeared. I guess they were on their way to somewhere else and just dropped by to enjoy my mother's beautiful garden.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Now that we've been back home for a bit, both my husband and I have sighted Red Wings on separate occasions.

What's really COOL is the baby woodpeckers are out and I got a photo of one yesterday. We suspected the nest was close as we had seen and/or heard the parents on a daily basis.

My husband got a digital shot of one of the Hawks the other day. I so hope we get to see one of their offspring! We've been seeing the adult on a regular basis, so I'm thinking that nest is nearby as well.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
What kind of hawk? I never see nests around. We have an open yard but we are surrounded by woods, magnolia trees, and other trees and brush. They are well hidden and do not need to nest close by. At the feeders, they birds never flock to the feeder but they seem to take turns. Once in awhile you will see four or five birds on the ground foraging and one on the feeder above. During the course of a count, I may see a dozen different birds but only one or two at a time.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Last year we had a very hard freeze (down to 18 degrees for 3-4 nights) late in April when all the oak, hickory and fruit trees were in full bloom. So we got no nuts or fruit. This lead to a decreased squirrel and rodent population for hawks. Unfortunately the hawks decided my chickens would do fine. I've had chickens for years and this past winter was the first time I ever had hawks taking my chickens. Usually hawks are no threat to adult chickens, and mine are big birds, Australorps and barred rocks, but we lost 8 to 10 of them to hungry hawks.

Some mornings before I opened the coop door I could see a hawk or two just sitting on a tree branch, waiting for me to "serve breakfast" so I'd make a lot of noise and chase them , then let my "girls" out.

Fortunately the hawks have more natural food now and don't seem to be a threat to my chickens anymore. But there are so many hawks around here that just watching them is no challenge. I do enjoy watching them climb into the sky, riding thermals.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Our hawks are the red shouldered variety. They find small prey and scrounge around for grubs etc. The juvenile that flew into the window and knocked himself silly caught a small junco or titmouse but after 30 minutes of just standing there trying to collect himself, he finally flew off and left it on our deck.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I'm not sure what type of hawks are nesting nearby. I've misplaced my bird book. But I will try to identify it shortly. We were returning from SC this afternoon, and fortunately missed the bad thunderstorms due to a flat tire. I try to look for silver linings.

Going through the Altamaha Waterfowl Refuge, a bald eagle flew across the road in front of me. We have several permanent nesting pairs in the Refuge, and it sure was comforting to see it.

I've always been taught seeing a bald eagle is a good thing. It certainly reassured me for the remainder of the trip home.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
Every spring, my parents and I wait to see who hears the first redwing, and whoever does, has to tell the other . . . love to hear them call, especially this spring!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
They are beautiful. We have a few in this area. In Alaska they are numerous and the locals don't even pay attention to them any more.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I'll have to go to eNature.com and listen to the call of the redwing. I don't know what they sound like.

K
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
K
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

P
P
I'm just beginning to get into birds. I have a pond behind me, I have feeders in the back by the pond, but the pond is all dried up. I have red winged Black birds and Yellow head Black birds, they are beautiful to watch. I pray for enough rain to fill up the pond.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: PattiJean
I'm just beginning to get into birds. I have a pond behind me, I have feeders in the back by the pond, but the pond is all dried up. I have red winged Black birds and Yellow head Black birds, they are beautiful to watch. I pray for enough rain to fill up the pond.

Does your pond dry up each year or is this year a drought? Is it spring fed or rain? How much rain does it take to fill the pond?

P
P
This is the worsed I've seen it. Normally, it dries up during the hotter days in the summer, but there was hardly any water in it to begin with this year. It's pretty much dried up. When it rains, there is some water in it. but it doesn't stay long. The ducks just kind of walk in it. The pond as I call it. Is probably accessive water from somewhere else. I live on a block that has about 10 houses on one side of the block. most of the houses on my block, have the pond in the back.

B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
They also have a call that sounds like trickling water.. very beautiful!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.