Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385831 03/03/08 04:05 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
On the box of PG Tips I bought this weekend it, there is a banner that proudly proclaims PG Tips as the "England's No. 1 Tea" Has some kind of poll been give to determine this or is it a sales gimmick? I ask because I was under the impression that Yorkshire Gold and Tetley's as well as Twinnings are hugely popular over in the UK. Up until recently, I had heard of all those brands but PG Tips is fairly new to my memory. If it was so popular, I'd think I would have heard it sooner?

So, is it really "England's No. 1 Tea"? wink

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/03/08 04:08 PM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
It is!
My husband has been drinking it for years - we could only get it in England first, then Bermuda, and now it is over here! It is the strongest tea we ever had and I believe it is number 1 in England.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
It is the strongest tea I've ever had as well! I had to put milk it in, which is something I don't do often, and after it mellowed out a bit, the tea is very enjoyable. smile I love it!

Billie, is your husband British?

Heather J. Hasan
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
No he isn't, but he did spend a summer there as a child and has been over as an adult about six times; my mother-in-law goes a few times a year, and my brother-in-law spent a year in college there - he also visits a few times a year.
We definitely have to put cream in it since it is so strong! My husband loves strong tastes.
I am glad you like it!

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
P.G tips is popular tea, and it is well advertised. Its to strong for me. I prefer Twinings Lady Grey or Rose Pouchong. My sister likes P.G sent to the US for her smile

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 03/04/08 04:30 PM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Nicola, how do most people drink PG Tips over there? Surely most people add milk because this stuff will knock your socks off if you drink it plain. :P

Heather J. Hasan
Gecko
Gecko
I have my private stash at work. We don't have real milk at the office, only powder so I drink it with just sweetener. I like the strong flavor.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
TBunny,

When you say powder, are you talking about the powdered creamer? In my opinion, creamer is much better in coffee and tea than milk. Which do you prefer, milk or creamer in your tea?

Heather J. Hasan
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I love creamer in coffee its yummy, But I detest it in tea! weird eah? I also love cream in my coffee but hate it in tea. I only like milk in my tea!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I don't know, I know it is very popular, but so is Tetley, Twinnings and all the fruit teas have been a major hit here. smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

T
Gecko
Gecko
T
I used to have friends and colleagues import PG Tips to Germany for me. You can find it at the occasional British Shop and even at the commissary on the American posts/bases. But the cost is hugely prohibitive. I finally found a large bag that is only moderately expensive at an Indian shop in my town. It's almost time to go back and get more...

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I found PG Tips at a store called World Market here in the States. They have items from all over the world. Going in and shopping there is like dying and going to heaven for me. smile

Heather J. Hasan
Gecko
Gecko
Heather - that's where I buy mine in Columbus. I love that store!

J
J
I would definately say PG tips was number one here. Especially with anyone old enough to remeber the PG tips chimps from London Zoo who did the adverts up until the 80's I think.

It is nearly always drunk with milk, and my mum would make a pot for 6 cups and drink that for breakfast! She had it almost black with one sugar.

Earl Grey is too posh for me and mine;) Tastes like perfume so I'll leave it for HRH.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Juniper,

I agree 110% about Earl Grey! I have heard about how great Earl Grey is since I became seriously interested in tea (about 10 years ago) It does taste like perfume and the scent is a turn-off. I do not understand what the craze is about.

When I first discovered Stash tea about 5 years ago, I found out they have Double Earl Grey, with double Bergamot oil. The thought made me feel nauseous eek

Heather J. Hasan
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I have to respectfully disagree. I was introduced to both Lady Grey and Rose pouchong and they are WONDERFUL!!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Nicola,

Lady Grey is good! The flavor is more fruity and less floral. I definitely agree, but Earl Grey is another story. I think there is a big difference between the two. eek

Heather J. Hasan
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Yes you are right. Earll Grey is not the same. I will drink it but it is third choice. smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.