Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Vance - lots of people have trouble sleeping during the day - the sunlight actually goes in through your eyelids and triggers you to wake up.

Have you tried super thick shades or double shades? They do *wonders* for me smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Maybe a sleep mask could help to filter out sun light, or any other kind of light

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right I would go with a sleep mask second, after you try to do the "room darkening" technique. A lot of people have trouble sleeping with something actually on their face smile If you get thick shades and thick curtains you can get a room REALLY dark even during the day.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I prefer getting up on my own vs. having an alarm clock wake me. Unfortunately, at this stage in my life, it is no longer possible. I'll just have to sneak sleep in wherever I can!

AJ Alexander (aka: Bubbles)
Weight Loss Editor

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Alice - I'm testing out a sunrise clock right now, it's a clock with a lamp and music in it that start out very soft and quiet and slowly over time they brighten and the music gets more loud. So it wakes you very gradually which is healthy for you. Maybe you should look into one of those? Usually the light wakes you up and the music helps too. That way you're not jarred awake.

Low Carb Forum
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Piggybacking onto Lisa's response, when you don't get enough sleep at night, your cortisol hormone levels elevate. When those elevate your body gets stressed. When your body is stressed it hangs onto the weight. So, it's important to relax so the cortisol stays at normal levels. Cortisol is one of those hormones that kicks in during "fight or flight" situations and is a healthy response that way. But, it backfires when you go night after night without sleep and thus you can end up with the weight gain. This is also true if you have trouble destressing in other areas of your life - cortisol goes up and stays up.

Donna smile

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
My whole family is a nest of night owls. lol But I also have trouble sleeping and don't get enough. I use a sound machine that helps a lot. I also have read that the darker your room the better - even small things like the light coming from your digital clock can stimulate the brain to stay awake, so I try to place something in front of those to keep the room darker.

Other things I've tried to help sleep is taking a powder magnesium bec it relaxes muscles & it gets into the bloodstream faster than a pill; 20 min hot bath about 2 hours before bed - this also can relax the muscles; not eating in the evenings (digestion can interfere with sleep); back rubs; reading something that is not overly stimulating, avoiding caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime, etc.

If I'm really desperate I will try taking melatonin or benadryl.

I've read that if you really can't sleep at all, sometimes it's better just to get up and do something else for a while rather than trying to force yourself to sleep. I do that, too, and it does work for me sometimes.

I also try to always get up at the same time every day, even if I didn't get enough sleep, just to try and keep my body clock on an even keel as much as possible.

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I have had to turn the clock some nights so that the room is pitch black, it really does help me sleep.

Funny - I have an air filter that runs which I really like as a noise machine, but my boyfriend turns it off because the noise bothers him. So we all have different thresholds.

Yes a hot bath or shower is great for me to get me relaxed smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
yes, we cover the alarm clock each night with a hand towel - that light is really annoying. We also run a fan for noise masking.

I always just get out of bed if I cannot sleep and find something to do. I also keep many books in my room and will start reading, that helps me to become sleepy. A cup of herbal tea with cammomile, sweetened with a little honey almost always works for me.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.