Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#377012 02/19/08 01:52 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What is your favorite book by Jane Austen?

I have been a *huge* fan of Pride & Prejudice for many many years. I have all the DVD versions smile But recently when the Austen series came on PBS I became hooked on Persuasion. That's quite good as well. So I read that just a week or two ago and have been watching all the different versions.

So those are my personal top two smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I am sorry to confess I have not READ Jane Austin, just watched the films! blush I love the older versions before Keira Knightley. Pride and Prejudice is absolutley beautiful.

My Fav Authors are actually Jean Plaidy, Elizabeth Chadwick and Nora Lofts for Histotic novels. These authors are truly awesome. Elizabeth Chadwick's 'Shadows and Strongholds' and 'Lords of the White Castle' are just riviting. They are based loosely on the Historic Lords Of Whittington and Ludlow Castle and keeps.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I admit I haven't read Pride & Prejudice but loved the Colin Firth TV version (drool). I really enjoyed reading Sense and Sensibility but couldn't get through Emma. I'm not sure why.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi - I love Mansfield Park. The books are even better than the films - read them slowly and savour....... there's a lot in them. Somehow Jane Austen's acerbic humor doesn't come over quite as well in the films.

Mind you, does Mr Darcy in the lake make up for that? Which hero is the best?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
All you guys who haven't read Pride & Prejudice really should! The book has far more emotion than the movies can manage to fit in, and it's great. It's not a huge book either. Get yourself a copy and plunk down by a warm fire!!

I've been watching the PBS series which is on TV right now. I do like the new Persuasion better than the two older BBC versions. It still has some flaws (Anne is very mopey) but in general was quite well done.

That's a very good question, which hero out of all of Austen's men is the one that suits you the best. I have always loved Mr. Darcy so I am a bit biased there. I am annoyed with Wentworth for not even writing Anne when he could have. At least Darcy - who was full of pride - relented for love and made his feelings known ... so Wentworth comes in second for me.

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Not written by Jane Austen, but worth a read is The Jane Austen Book Club (or something like that). It's a fun look at Jane Austen book lovers and has a lot of Austen humor in there.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I haven't gotten that yet - but I do have the pair of books that are "after Pride & Prejudice" - I think one is called "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife". I haven't read them yet though smile Soon!

Low Carb Forum
S
S
I am huge Pride and Predjudice fan and I have read several of the "sequels" (even though they weren't written by Austen)including Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife, Nights and Days at Pemberley, Mr. Darcy's Daughters, and Darcy's Story (which is actually a retelling of P&P from Mr. Darcy's point of view.)

Still, I have to say that Sense and Sensibility is my favorite. I think I really connected with Elinor. She's by far my favorite Austen lady.

Stephanie Cummings
BellaOnline Conception Editor
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Yes the elder Miss Dashwood is my favourite too.

The new version was filmed in North Devon near Hartland and I believe that the actual cottage they used for filming is a rental cottage, how about that for a cool place to stay?

Rachel, Spanish Cult Ed
Andalucia Holidays

Gecko
Gecko
I like Henry Tilney from Northhanger Abbey best. It's not her best book, but he is a great woo-er!

I love the P & P story, but Darcy is a jerk, despite his good deeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.