logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Shark
Shark
[size:11pt] Here in North Carolina - soda or soft drinks are called "drinks"....but can be broken down into other names.

Most fruity sodas, no matter the brand, are called "Nehis" (after the perennial drinks of that brand name).

Anything lemon/lime & clear, at least in my large extended family, is referred to as '7-Up' and usually comes from the store to a family dinner or reunion called as such - no matter the brand name.

Then, there is a locally made soft drink called "Cheerwine" (sort of like a black cherry flavored cola-esque sort of flavor - usually an aquired taste for the uninitiated.)

When I was in High School, there was a locally produced soft drink called "Sun Drop" - mildly similar in flavor to Mt. Dew - that was unavailable out of our area....we used to have to ship it in quantity to my aunt and her friends, who attended an out of state university, directly to their college dorm...they would call excitedly when the shipment arrived - instantly placing their order for more....LOL

Older family member still insist on Coca-Cola and other soft drinks in glass bottles - yes glass bottles - claiming that they still taste better than the 2 liter ones we younger folks buy...
[/size]

Has anyone else experienced this or have an opinion on the Glass Bottles VS. Plastic Bottles issue of soda pop??

Well behaved women rarely make history.....
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
Oh yes, many older people that I know will swear by the glass bottles -- they say pop taste SOOO much better in glass. These people were very crushed when plastic replaced the glass bottles.

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
-- Plato --
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
I always liked the glass bottles better. Where I'm from ALL non-alchaholic carbonated drinks are called cokes.

"do you want a coke?"

"yeah, get me a sprite"

I am the shadow of a waxwing slain...
G
G
Growing up in No and So. Cal, we called everything coke...Do you want a Coke? What kind of coke do you want, orange, rootbeer, Coke Dr. Pepper etc? It was like Kleenex or Q-tip, the brand name was the generic name. So rather than saying tissue or cotton swab, we say "I need a 'Kleenex' please" or "Please get me the box of 'Q-tips'"

I moved to Iowa and everything is "pop". I have always felt like such a fool saying "pop". Now I don't think anything of it, unless I am out of state or with my California family. I have actually apologized for using the word "pop" to a McDonald's clerk while traveling in Alabama. I suppose it was the shocked look on her face when I used the word "Pop".

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
I've always lived in Michigan and everything carbonated has always been called pop or soda pop. So you would say,"I have a variety of pop in the fridge so what would you like, a Dr. Pepper, Coke, Root Beer, Orange or Diet Coke?" If you go to a fast food restaurant and ask what kind of coke they have, they will tell you "diet or regular" meaning the brand Coke. So you have to ask what kind of pop or sodas they have.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We called it tonic, and Coke came in glass bottles. i still have the bottles and cardboard carrier of Coke and Pepsi from the 50s

Rosie L
N
N
Soda.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.