logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
In the UK today the newspapers and TV news reports are full of threatened worldwide recession due to stock-market crashes, spectacular falls have a very scary effect on those who report world news.

How would you plan to adjust your business as a Personal Chef or anyone whose work is connected to this profession?

There are always winners and losers in recession, how would you adjust to make sure you are one of the former?

Business has been fairly brisk up to now in UK. I have noticed a great many inquiries from chefs from US wanting to come and work here in the past 6 months. That is unusual!
How are things in United States has anyone sensed a slow down?

Cost in Europe are soaring, making it difficult to hold prices and still make a profit.
Travel costs especially have risen considerably.
I am taking less and less distant work now and farming it out to chefs who are more local to the venues. That is a great shame because one of the things I most love about this work is traveling all over the UK and Europe.

Fay- Personal Chef

Last edited by Fay-Personal Chef; 01/21/08 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I am not a personal chef, except for my family lol, but I have to say things are getting tough here. The high price of fuel has raised prices on everything, especially food! How do you combat that in your business?

Zebra
Zebra
Realistically, there are two ways to respond to a recession: as an opportunity and as a threat. It can be both or either one!

1--As a threat: It will affect everyone in some way -- how do you minimize that in a Personal Chef business?

--Rethink your menu offerings and scale them back to more economical choices for price-conscious customers or expand your market to get more clients.

--Expand your business. Add additional lines of work--teaching others to cook economically or locally, perhaps?

2--As an opportunity: People will be more stressed and may be working more hours to keep their income levels the same, so will have less time to cook.

--Not everyone loses money during a recession. Solicit those who are in more stable industries or have more wealth to begin with.

--Use your skills to partner with nonprofit programs--you can get tons of publicity working with a soup kitchen, for example. Ditto for writing articles such as how to feed your family with soaring food prices.

For others in general, eating seasonally and locally will be especially helpful. Farmer's markets, food co-ops and even warehouse shopping should see upturns in their business as people do tighten their food budgets. Also, one of the biggest problems I see, food-wise, is that really bad for you foods are the cheapest. Organic meats and fresh veggies are luxury buys! So, how to eat healthy at high prices is info everyone will need!

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Fantastic replies. I really appreciate the input. I have been working a lot recently developing dishes that use far less meat than most people are used to. It started as a diet design for one of my clients but everyone loved the dishes and certainly didn't miss the meat content. I might go down that road for a bit and see what I come up with.

Fay

Gecko
Gecko
Deb you should be a millionaire! you always have great advice. Good luck Fay!

Zebra
Zebra
Aw, shucks, now I'm blushing! Ha! Thank you both very much--glad to help and Sue, I wish I was a millionaire--I could use some of that money, but even more so, I could help more people.

The ideas are my gift/talent and I have/am building my business around it, so maybe someday. . .

In fact, thank you both because this thread gave me ideas for articles - how to start a business during a recession, part-time businesses to bring in more money during a recession and the like!

So, thanks right back to you!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.