logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
I miscarried at 10 weeks on the 13th of December. after some spotting I went for an ultrasound on the 12th and there was no heartbeat detected. had another on the 13th (at the imaging center where they have better equipment) and still nothing. Blood tests later that day indicated super high hormone levels so my OB booked me into the OR straight away as he was afraid of an ectopic pregnancy. Had emergency laparascopy (sp?) that night and D&C to remove tissue.
I am 32 years old, was not planning to get pregnant, but when I found out something bloomed inside me, I was so happy. I told my family and a few close friends, was about a month into planning and preparing for my baby - even though I was on my own (without an interested partner). It was such a wrench to be alone at the doctor's office and hear the ultrasound technician say "I don't see a baby"!
My mother drove me to the hospital (and again the next day after I'd popped my stitches) and I have been staying with her. I cry every day, almost all the time, I am falling into depression, the last two days - since my younger sister arrived here for the holidays - I have had suicidal thoughts.
I know from reading other postings and other sites that all of this is normal due in part to hormones as well as the holidays, but I need help with the depression. I can feel myself slipping down into a 'pit of despair'. I have a follow up visit scheduled with my OB on the 26th, and that seems like a mile off right now. Its almost impossible for me to get out of bed each day, and to make it through is torture.
There are babies and happy families everywhere, and my sister is angry with me because I'm not feeling 'christmasy' and not able to share her happiness with her partner (I also have two failed marriages behind me). She wants to talk about their plans for marriage and babies and I can't be happy for her right now. (which of course makes me feel like a big jerk) We had a big fight today and I am miserable. My poor mother is trying to keep her home sane, I know its hard for her too (no other grandchildren, this was her first).
I still have stitches and bruises all over from the surgery, can't sleep, bad dreams, crying fits, super moody, very lonely - most of my friends are pretty much avoiding me, everyone's doing family holiday stuff and I think they don't know what to say to me. The father, who used to be a friend, has been 100% absent, not even a phone call or a visit. This makes it hurt more. I feel guilty for inflicting my miserable self on my family, and for ruining the holidays - both my mother and sister have complained of me and my 'big black cloud' of misery bringing them down. I'm trying so hard not to be a bummer but what the **** am I supposed to do?
I don't want to be all alone at my own house, my roommate is out of town and I don't think its a good idea for me to be on my own right now given my state of mind (and its in chaos as i was planning to move at the end of the month because of the baby anyway).
I have tried to contact a peri-natal loss support group but they haven't called back and the day / time of the meetings is not listed, just the number.
I feel helpless and hopeless and I need help please.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
Dear Devastated -
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, but I want you to know that we are out here listening to you and sending you our thoughts, prayers and comfort. Hang on to even the smallest glimmer of hope while you get through this one day at a time, one hour at a time, even one minute at a time. My sister-in-law got mired in despair over side-effects from chemo and could not hang on. She committed suicide three weeks ago. If she could have given herself time to heal, things could have turned out so differently. Instead, there is a huge hole in our family, my son has lost a favorite aunt, the world has lost a vibrant human being who, until 6 months ago, would light-up whatever room she walked into. So please, please, please - give yourself time to heal even though it may seem impossible at this point. Your family - even if they do not see a clear path to help you, even if they are frustrated in their helplessness - they need you in their lives.
I'm sending you a hug - a hug I wish I could give to my sister-in-law - and I am crying with you and I am hoping that you feel some peace and comfort from this even though we are strangers. Please, hang in there.

Marji-Ergonomics Editor
Ergonomics
D
OP Offline
D
thank you marji - i'm so sorry for your loss. it helps to have someone to listen. i was absolutely 100% on board for my baby, now that he's gone i feel part of me has given up. it seems too hard to deal, especially right now at the holidays. i think that not wanting to hurt my loved ones is the main reason i'm still here - right now i'm struggling through this for them, rather than for me.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Devasted, I am so sorry for your loss. I had 2 miscarriages and suffered with each. When your hormones suddenly change it causes upheaval on all levels - mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Try to be with people out of the house in someway. Here it is Christmas eve. If you can volunteer to serve meals at a homeless shelter or attend any church services or events it will help take your mind off your situation and maybe give you an opportunity to talk with others about your recent loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you today. I do believe your child is bathed in golden light and safe and warm in his eternal home.

Susan

Last edited by Susan Kramer; 12/24/07 04:53 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Devastated,
Here are three online addresses to try, they are pregnancy loss support groups:

nationalshareoffice.com
missfoundation.org
tornfromourarms.com

You also need to call your OB now, don't wait for your next appointment, s/he can help with the depression and would want to know how you're doing. I'm a former L&D nurse so I speak from experience.
I am so very sorry for your loss. You are grieving and need to be gentle with yourself. I am glad you aren't alone, but don't take what others say too seriously, they aren't going through what you are.You will be in my prayers.

Gecko
Gecko
I too am sorry for your loss. I had a miscarraige also, I believe it is more common than we know. I know it doesn't feel like it, but time does heal all wounds. I found the first few weeks to be the worst, but after a few weeks went by and my husband and I were able to start trying again, I felt better. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

N
N
Hi devastated. I feel for you. I had a miscarriage on Christmas day at 7 weeks it was due on my wedding anniversary which effectively neutralizes two happy occassions for me smirk 5 days previous I had to have emergency surgery to remove to ginormous cysts from my ovaries (one on each :/) so I was on bedrest. Feeling good on December 24th i decided i could probably accomplish some xmas shopping since I was in the hospital the previous 4 days so my husband pushed me around walmart in a wheelchair. When the doctor pulled my baby out of me on the 26th he said it was because of my xmas shopping that the baby died.

We also weren't trying to have a baby (though I am happily married) but were super happy to find out we were expecting. It's been a horrible loss for me. I feel empty. I had never been happier than I was when I had that little baby growing inside of me.

So I know exactly where you're coming from and I feel for you. Please dont hurt yourself, though. I can't give you a reason not to, only you know why you shouldn't, but I know that the depression I am feeling will not always be there and one day I will be happy again and I will always remember the first little baby that made me feel so perfect.

Last edited by natters; 12/28/07 03:05 PM.
R
R
I am so very sorry for your loss and even more sorry that you do not have support in your grieving process. My daughter had a miscarriage on the 27th with her first. She saw the baby via sono 6wks 2 days all was well on the 9th wk everything was fantastic but on her 12wk check up there was no heartbeat and sono confirmed baby stopped growing a day or so after the last sono. Not only is it devastating its confusing and there are no answers. I agree with the other poster you need to call your OB and talk about your feelings and post on these forums to get some comfort. There are no rules to follow take your own pace to greive your loss and it is a loss. My daughter and I avoid friends we know that have babies. It is so hard to see people happy when you feel so horrible, even a sunny day is upseting. Its really important to find someone you can vent to and cry with. Some people just dont get it and never will, maybe someone could explain to your family that you need them. My daughters doctor gave her a name of a therapist who deals with losses and grief. She has elected not to see her yet, but maybe you should look in your area for one. I will keep you in my prayers. Not that it really helps much but until this happen to my family I never knew how this is so very common with first trimester and first pregnancies. My daughter has decided she wants to try as soon as she gets the ok from doctor each doctor has a diff opinion. I have been reading boards like these to gain information to help my daughter cope. She isnt ready to read anything about m/c just yet.

D
D
For All of You who have had a loss; 14 years ago the surrogate mom of my unborn baby contracted an infection and lost the precious baby I had prayed for. She was due Christmas week. As the years went by, I continued to grieve for this child.As a man, no one seemed to understand or care about the depth of my sadness. Many people including my mother said " It wasn't like it was a baby, or you didn't loose it." As a former labor and delivery nurse I knew that my grief would take time to lessen.
I cried often, but little, by little I began to heal. It's a long process. Nothing will take your mind off it; not another baby,not helping someone else... nothing. The truth is, if you allow yourself to remember and accept this,it will soften into a bittersweet part of you. It took years; then one day I realized that this baby had given me 3 of the most joyous months of my life.I still have those. I now have healthy sons who are great kids and I still honor the short but meaningful life of the baby I carry in my heart. Just last summer it dawned on me that one of the hardest things was I had no tangible evidence of that life.One day , in a garden shop, I found a small stone bird that has its head under its wing asleep.This was just what I wanted. I made a small terrarium in which it rests on my night stand. It brings me alot of peace just to look at it and remember before I sleep each night. You will recover. Get professional help if you need it. None of your babies would want you to live in despair. Take Care. Alot of us understand.

Gecko
Gecko
Devastated,

I, too, am sorry for your loss. I have no similar story to share with child-bearing, but I have been through two divorces as well, and I do know pain of some kind. I hope you don't take offense at my wanting to offer any advice since I don't know what it's like to carry a child, but your story touched my heart and I wanted to do anything I could.

When bad times hit me (which tend to make me focus on everything that is horribly wrong - which is SO natural), the thing that always perks my spirit even in the smallest bit is thinking, "It could have been worse." This does two things: (1) It forces you to stop looking at the big ugly trees in your immediate vision and broadens your view of the perhaps more calming view of the forest beyond it and (2) It takes a bit of the edge of your immediate emotions, which, if left unchecked, can cause you to spiral further down.

Let's look at the things you focused on (the "trees"), and then maybe take a peek around them at the forest. By the way, I'm not forgetting that it's very natural to have focused on these things that have caused you pain.

1. "I miscarried at 10 weeks on the 13th of December..."
2. "There are babies and happy families everywhere..."
3. "I'm not feeling 'christmasy'..."
4. "I also have two failed marriages behind me..."
5. "I still have stitches and bruises all over from the surgery..."
6. "The father, who used to be a friend, has been 100% absent..."

Whew! No wonder you were/are feeling so depressed. Anyone in their right mind would under these circumstances. If there is even one shred of hope of feeling anything positive right now, perhaps it would give you an iota of comfort to know at least what you're feeling is normal. Many depressed people don't have any ONE of things things going on in their lives, and they, too, feel helpless and hopeless. At least you've had reason to feel what you feel.

Another step in down the positive path is in planting a firm foot past the holidays. I don't like 'em either, personally. But in your case, at least we can already cross #3 (above) off the list of things causing you to be down and stay down.

If you're still with me, perhaps we can keep dissecting the other things:

#6 - That jerk who took off and turned his back on responsibility for creating a life. What an a$$. As soon as your baby could start piecing together the fact that some kids have both mommies and daddies but he/she was different, he/she would have felt a loss of some kind. Think of the baby and what it may be like to grow up with a dad who took off (I know there are lots of people who have the same experience and grow up okay, but does one more similar life experience make it easier for him/her to deal with? No.) The best remedy I can prescribe for dealing with the loss (if you want to think of it as a loss) of the jerk is to live life well. That means reaching inside yourself and re-kindling a relationship with you. Focus on you. Do you like McDonald's french fries? Start as small as that! Do you like hot buttered popcorn at the movies? Go see one. Do you like to travel? Plan to get out of town, either with a friend or by yourself (I've escaped to New York City, Mexico, and other places all by myself). Just focus on things you like.

#4 -- Two failed marriages. Me too. First one cheated, second one abused me mentally and physically. Best news for you is that you're only 32. If you want to have another relationship, you're plenty young enough to have another. But not until you've healed you. Even if you were 50 years old, you'd still be a great candidate for another relationship - why? - because you seem to have the heart and emotion to know what's wrong inside you, to be able to express it, and hopefully you'll find ways to heal. Some people don't have those characteristics and will always stay inside themselves with wounds that never heal and will never make a good relationship partner again. You don't have to think about marriage, per se...having a relationship without marriage can be just as rewarding as one without that piece of paper. Bottom line is that another one will come along -- you just need to have taken inventory and be emotionally, mentally right when it does.

#2 - Babies and happy families everywhere? Okay, perhaps...but also SO many miserable ones. Ever take a look at www.truemomconfessions.com? Sure, you'll see some happy moms. But also sift through the ones who hate their lives. The ones whose husbands turn out to be either dead-beat dads, totally absent, or worse - abusive. This sentiment goes back to what I said earlier on where your focus lies. When you come across a "happy family," realize that you're taking of snapshot of them in that moment of their lives. And good for them - people should have happiness in their lives. But for the people who are firmly grounded, they don't get their happiness from their families -- not their kids, not their spouses. They are happy, first, with themselves. And being happy with yourself doesn't just happen, so don't think, "Well I'm not happy with myself," and leave it at that. It takes work. Books, journaling, counseling...some people ask for help from God. Whatever and however you seek it. But it's there.

#5 - Still have stitches and bruises -- you'll heal. You're in pain now, but thanks to the miracle powers of the otherwise healthy body you're so lucky to have, all of it will heal. Again, it could be worse -- you're not crippled for life, you don't have a terminal illness, and you're not blind, deaf or mute. Let hope seep inside you as you realize that your physical condition is only temporary, and you'll be able to cross #5 off your list in a short time.

#1 - Your miscarriage: Since I don't have experience with this, I advise you to follow the advice of others. Don't stop seeking counseling with one unreturned phone call. Counseling is not going to knock on your door or phone you up; you must continue to track it down. With your post, you already have. You're seeking counsel from other women, so feel good in the fact that you indeed have not yet given up, by way of your own actions.

One more bit of advice:
1. I cannot possibly stress the importance of journaling. Consider treating yourself to a trip to Barnes & Noble and Starbucks. Pick out a blank journal you consider to be your own autobiography on "How I Came Out of the Dark" or "My Recovery Story." You're the most important person in your life, no matter what anyone else thinks, and you owe it to yourself to document your true feelings and to see yourself progress. Other people would argue with my statement of your being the most important person in your life - especially mothers who chime in with "No, your children are more important." I disagree. Your children cannot do the things for you that you can do for yourself. They CAN be joys in your life, and you can experience happiness with them, but they cannot GIVE you joy, grace, happiness, self-respect, self-esteem, self-worth and a firm understanding of who you really are, what you really like, and what you really want. These things can only come from inside you if you muster the courage to do the housecleaning necessary to first find/discover them and then improve on them.

Devastated, this is the longest post I've ever created on this Web site. Your story, your life, and the things you're experiencing really grabbed me, and if just one thing I've expressed to you helps, I will be so glad for you. Even one thing - it could be those french fries - is one more thing to be happy about and look forward to than you had before.

Arms around you with hugs,
Angela

Last edited by Angela P; 01/04/08 01:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Christine - Miscarriage 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.