Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I haven't read through this entire thread, just the lasr post by Alexandra - so if my comments seem from left field - sorry! (I'll go back and do my homework when I have a few free moments)

But the last church I attended (we are in between churches right now) was technically a Southern Baptist church, but the lead pastor was anything but your average "good ol' boy". He has a degree not only in theology, but in historical theology - the difference which I understood as being he studied the history, geography, and languages of the biblical times. I always enjoyed his sermons, because he not only preached, he taught.

He quite often would refer to the original Hebrew and give the different interpretations that had been translated. It really did give a very different view of some verses that had either been taken for granted or even ignored.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Michelle I think I would love to hear this preacher preach too.

Alexandra, I throughly enjoy asking you questions because you are so non judgemental and answer in a forth right honest way for yourself! I love that. and thank you for answering my questions! I some times worry that I dont word things right or I will ask something and someone will get offended because i used the wrong term or the question was just upsurd to begin with! smile

I can honestly say I have learned a great deal from everyone on this Site. and I thank you all for that!!!! laugh

I went to church the other day with my husband and my in laws and the Preacher at my old church is just filling in and I think he is a wonderful man and a great Paster but he teaches at the prison and has another job and he doesnt want to be the Paster of any church at this time.

His sermon was about Zackara (sp) and how he was pulled in different direction. Gabreal came and told him that Sarah was to have John the Baptist and he was pulled by doubt and facts and by Faith in God. he when on to say how this generation doesnt care where the church draw the line or where the schools or parents draw the line. and how that is a bad thing because we flounder trying to fine boundries. But he said that it was high time that we as Christians stopped focusing on the does and donts and who we think is going to hell for what and started Focusing are priorities back on Who is God and Where does God draw the line because when its all said and done Does God really Care all that much what label we put on ourselfs? He also went on to say that the churches are divided on homosexuality issues, theological issues and all kinds of man made issues that have obsured the true nature of God.

I looked around at my once small church to find that there were a handfull of familys that I grow up with all older 50+ and there kids and familys and there was maybe 20 people there including the family members who lived out of town and just came down for Christmas. We use to have 100 or so on any given sunday and on holidays the church was almost packed 250+-. some have died and some have just qit comming like me and my husband for one reason or the other and gone to a new church or no church...
But I felt like I use to as a child..like I had walked into a home that I grew up in. no one pulled the "oh im so glad you are right with god." or Oh You need to be saved or even tried to get me to get involed in something church related. Every one that I talked to asked how you mom how have you been and we talked about our family and our lives and how we were blessed by God to be so lucky to have family and friends and how much we missed the ones not here with us. and when we started to leave no one said you need to be here every Sunday or anything like that it was We miss seeing you come visit us sometime or call and we'll get together for lunch.

Thats how I believe church, Religion or whatever you want to call it should be done!!! ok so I am way off in left feild and I have no excuse because i have read all the post here! laugh
So to get back on topic...

So do you think someone who stays with there cutural up bringing has missed there calling or do you think that they were born with the calling they were born into?

Personaly, I think you have to grow up and make your own decisions about what you believe and if you find that what you were raised to believe is true and right for you then you should believe it but if you never search and put your believes to the test then you dont really know what you believe or why. but that is just me... laugh and I am odd!

Zebra
Zebra
Bellaharmony, I have no doubt that the vast majority of Religious priests, deacons, pastors and Fathers in America are bright, intelligent and well-educated men and women.... Tis one incident amused me, and i recalled it and reounted as a humorous insert....But it's fair to say that those around this particular Minister howled with laughter, because they thought he was kidding....and their faces were a picture once they incredulously discovered he wasn't.... !! But I had no intention of causing any offence....frogive my mirth at someone else's expense!

FreeBubbles, my heart is warme by your expereince and of how much it touched, moved and uplifted you. I too believe, regardless of which faith you follow, that this is how the human heart and soul should feel, when a person connects to their God - or 'calling' - either alone, or in congregation.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama actually encourages those in their respective faiths, to remain there if they can, and to live their respecive Creed and Faith to the best of their ability. He states that it's not the specific religion, per se, that is the issue, necessarily...it is how that person integrates their faith and beliefs, into their daily life, and spreads the inherent Love around, and manifests and personifies their God openly in their interaction with those around them.

This is admirable and commendable advice, but for my own part, it was something I found impossible to do.
I refuse to transform this post into either a justification for my actions, or, more importantly, a possibly-perceived 'attack' on the Deistic Religion of Catholicism. Suffice to say, I could not come to terms with aspects of this faith adequately, to sincerely convince myself that staying put would be best for me.

However, I DO believe that some deistic religions baptise children into the faith too young. perhaps it would be more conducive to an increasing flock, if the children were guided, by instruction and example, to eventually exercise their ,God-Given Free will, to come to God and choose Him as their Calling, independently and willingly themselves, at the right time (ie, when they're old enough to actively exercise that choice....)?

Again, I am not seeking to be divisive, but if we permit people to, say, vote for specific political parties only when they're old enough to actively make conscious choices, surely, a following of God should be open to the same criteria...? It's just as important - if not more so! - as Politics....

Just another pointer..... smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Oh, I wasn't offended! It is true, there are some very small minded people in the ministry, just like there are in every other part of life.

It actually reminded me of a program i saw one time on the KKK - the member was talking about Jewish people, and how they were inferior to Christians, and so on and so forth. And he tried to show Bible verses that supported his points of view (Because for some reason, KKK members all seem to think they are right-acting Christians). When it was pointed out to him that Jesus Christ was actually Jewish, he about exploded, yelling it was a "dirty lie" and so on.

Well, what nationality did he think Jesus was? Swedish?

I think that is the reason I chime in on so many of these discussions. I am not actually trying to change anybody else's views - but I want other people that might be reading these threads )that might not necessarily be participating)to see that there are intelligent, rational Christians out here - even if we can't type. blush

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Zebra
Zebra
U n me both - hv u seen the typos in my last post...? I noticed them once I'd posted, but I didn't hv time 2 go back in n edit....

I ht txt mssgs 2....grrrr!!

grin

Koala
Koala
what typos? i dont see typos?!!! we tape just fin hear @beela! nothin rong heere!!! laugh

D
D
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but the tree of life caught my eye. I've done some study on the subject (in my religion - your mileage may vary), my thoughts are more than just a few lines long. If you'd like to see them, they can be found here:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: BellaHarmony
Well, what nationality did he think Jesus was? Swedish?

That's it! Now you've done it... people mention 'Swedish' and I see the chef from the Muppet Show.... Complete with chicken in the basket....!
I'm just having a giggle thinking of Jesus walking on the shores of galilee a la swedish chef.....

Bad girl, Bella! Bad girl, Alex!! Bad, bad bad!!

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
"Byork, byork, byork, byork!"

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Zebra
Zebra
ROTFLMAO!!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.