logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
cpatt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I attended the Florida Gifted Conference the last two days and it was definitely an eye opener. Between that and reading your supportive words, I feel more confident about helping my son to adjust and hopefully flourish. Another positive is that he has finally made a friend this school year. That has helped soooooo much!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BMe Offline
Cassie,

Im here in FL - very curious as to the topics & discussions presented at the Fl Gifted conference you mentioned. Would you be willing to elaborate?
Also, so grateful to those who share here on this forum - sometimes it can feel very lonely as the parents of gifted children.
Thank-You!

Gecko
Gecko
Cassie-

Glad to hear that things are going well. State gifted conferences can be well worth the time and cost spent on attending. There's always something new to be gleaned, and it can be refreshing to talk to people who "get" giftedness. I'm with BMe BTW, I would love to hear more about what you took away with you from the recent FL conference.

S
S
Hi Cassie,

Sorry I'm so late to this. First of all, I'm really happy to read that you're feeling more encouraged and that your son has made a friend. That really does make a difference!

Second, I heartily agree with everything Cela has written. Fostering inner security and quiet confidence is critical as a prerequisite to allowing an emotionally "intelligent" adult to emerge. I've almost come to the point of feeling that this is as important as the academics themselves, but this is conditioned on the assumption that the child is given the freedom to learn on his own and isn't burdened by excessive busy work. I couldn't agree more that the school environment has an artifice to it that promotes a nervousness and instability in many, maybe even most kids. Some kids may be wired to ignore the odd and sometimes capricious rules and the institutional feel, but those who are more sensitive or aware may always feel discomfort.

For those reasons, I'd treat school--especially elementary school-- like an informal arrangement to the extent possible. Take your child out as much as you can get away with. Try to encourage social connections in small, non-school environments if you can find them. I love the idea of trying to find the smallest classes possible if that is an option for you. HUMANIZE the environment as much as you possibly can. You say the teachers are kind. Enlist their aid in fashioning the best possible learning environment for your son.

My own child is in a small religious school too. She's exceptionally lucky to have landed in a small core of HG and PG girls and she's even luckier to have a school that doesn't feel like a school. Parents have joked that it's "homeschool with tuition." Whenever she's had an issue of any sort, it's been easy to get a teacher or administrator to listen and fix the problem. I don't know if I would even have tried the first time around--I probably would have forced my eldest to conform and ignore the difficulty.

Susan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.