Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#341220 09/15/07 08:27 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I decided to start another thread for my siding saga. Siding work has come to a stand still around here. I think they worked 2 whole days this week. They missed a couple of days because of weather and a couple of days they showed up for a few hours. It has been over 3 weeks and the other day the siding guy says "just wait till next week and you see the house". My husband says maybe he meant that he would come back next week to work--HA. They worked for maybe 1/2 an hour Thursday afternoon. They were yelling at each other so I was wondering if they had a disagreement or something and that was why they left.

We had asked the siding company to price us some guttering for the end of the house where the water was leaking into the basement around the a/c. Just one side of the house was all we wanted the guttering for. The water seems to pool around that a/c area so we figured that guttering would help the water travel away from the house. I think it would help if we removed some of the dirt around the house as it has settled after all there years. The siding guys showed up with the guttering yesterday and no one gave us a price or told us anything except the siding guy would put it up. At first they told us another crew had to come and put up the guttering but then they said the job was too small for them to drive over here and do. So I call and they tell me that it would cost us $1500 but since they had some leftover guttering from a job that is in the warehouse they were throwing it in for free. I am thinking no way that little area of guttering cost that much...I think they feel guilty about the time it is taking to side our house and someone probably already paid for the guttering anyway. The siding salesman had told us it would only take 1 week to do the siding. I wonder what time table he is living by? Maybe 1 week= 6 weeks. The siding installer said 3 weeks. At least we aren't paying them by the hour or we would never be able to afford this!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
conniem #341465 09/16/07 06:20 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Oh - how frustrating!
Are they at least getting close to getting it done?

Mavis
Mavis #341546 09/17/07 06:33 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
They did come over the weekend and worked all day both days. Yesterday they worked on the porch most of the day and finished the underside and eaves. They are slowly making progress. They have got all the bottom story sided now and have been working on the eaves. I have photos I need to get processed and post. My mother-in-law and oldest son visited yesterday and they both said it looked very nice.

~anonymous~
conniem #341692 09/17/07 07:26 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Well, I'm glad things have picked up again and sure hope they kept at it today and will now until it is finished. I'd love to see some in progress pictures.

Mavis
Mavis #341794 09/18/07 06:48 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
It has been so windy the past few days that the guys didn't get much done besides nailing wood strips to the house. I sure hope the wind dies down so that they can get done! I was hoping they'd be done next week but have my doubts now. I need to go to town and drop my film off so ya'll can see my house!

~anonymous~
conniem #342044 09/19/07 06:49 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
It rained yesterday morning so the guys didn't show up until after lunch. Of course the wind picks up after lunch, but it wasn't as bad as the last few days. At least I got my kitchen painted (except behind the fridge, I didn't think about that until after I had washed up my brushes). So now I can start working on painting the doors and the bottom of the house. I didn't think about the siding not going down all the way to the ground. Right now it is a blue color and I am going to paint it white. Our old trim was blue. The porch is also painted blue and we thought about white (since that is the new trim color) but I think white won't be nice for long on the porch.

~anonymous~
conniem #342346 09/20/07 08:34 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yesterday morning I asked the guy how much longer until they were done and he told me he had to be done by next Tuesday so they were really going to get busy.

~anonymous~
conniem #342509 09/20/07 05:21 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Well - at least they have something to aim for now.

Mavis
Mavis #342624 09/21/07 06:38 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Lol Mavis...they showed up at 9 yesterday and left at noon and didn't come back. Hubby says no way they will be done by next Tuesday.

~anonymous~
conniem #342693 09/21/07 10:04 AM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Oh no.
The thing that would scare me is to wonder if they are moving on to the next job after Tuesday whether they are finished or not.

Hopefully that won't be the case, but I sure hope they spend the whole day there today & each day from now on.

Mavis
Mavis #342944 09/22/07 06:39 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yesterday they showed up at noon, worked for half an hour, took lunch break, worked until 3 and left. The guy that told me they had to be done by Tuesday said he was going to watch his neice run cross country in a state competition.

Hopefully they will put in a full days work today. We had planned to start painting the garage (all the work we have done up till now was priming and repairing cracks/holes). Hubby left for work at 5 so I guess I will be on my own.

~anonymous~
conniem #343280 09/23/07 07:14 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Gee - it must be nice to have a job where you can set your own hours!

Mavis
Mavis #344270 09/27/07 07:35 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Well, Tuesday came and went and they are still here. We had been gone for a couple of days and I was hoping it would be done when we got back. Looks like they still have quite a ways to go. Hubby called the siding company and complained and they really didn't have much to say. We have to talk to the head guy about some of the work that he did that doesn't look so good. I will be glad when this is all over.

~anonymous~
conniem #344966 09/30/07 08:09 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Finally some photos...the work is almost done and I have another roll I just sent off

[URL=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

~anonymous~
conniem #345074 09/30/07 10:15 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Its a beautiful house Connie and its sure great to see that the siding is almost finished.

Mavis
Mavis #345109 10/01/07 06:48 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Drum roll....it is done! We had them sign our wall in the basement and took a couple of photos of them for my scrapbook. I have tons of photos of when we bought the house and the changes we have made and one of these days I will make a scrapbook to go with the house.

~anonymous~
conniem #345295 10/02/07 09:38 AM
M
Koala
Koala
M
Yippee!
What a relief to have it finished.

Mavis
Mavis #345490 10/03/07 07:51 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yes, I am so glad it is over and done, all except for the payments lol. We have to paint the base of the house and are going to do that white and also the porch on the front of the house is blue, but the old color and I think we decided to wait until next year to fuss with that. I guess it will all depend on how much more nice weather we will have.

~anonymous~
conniem #347117 10/10/07 11:35 PM
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Connnnnnnnie! Your house is GORGEOUS! I'm sure you must be thrilled that the siding is all on. The window trim looks great, too. And, I love love love those porch columns! I really like all the different roof pitches - you must have lots of neat little nooks and crannies inside the house.

You know I had to peek at your WHOLE album, too. Were those your grandbabies? And, what was that gorgeous door/cabinet/mirrored object behind the dining table?????

Donna smile

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Hey Donna, thanks for all the complements! It looks so nice, way better than I thought it would. I don't know what I thought it would look like but it has been so stressful and so many big life changes happened during that 6 weeks period and I am glad it is all over with now. When I was painting the garage several people stopped to comment on how nice it looked so the neighborhood concensus is that it looks great. My neighbor across the street is selling their house this summer when school is over and they are moving to California. I told them they ought to kick in some to help pay for the siding because us fixing up our house has got to make the property values around us go up LOL! They think I am funny. I sure will miss them. They have been great neighbors and their son and our son have been friends since we moved in.

I need to finish off my roll of film so ya'll can see the finished product. I had taken the last roll up and then the only 2 photos I have taken are of the finished house. I am working on painting the base of the house and I have made it around the house 1&1/2 times now. There has been no wind and it has been perfect for painting but I have been trying to clean house. My sister and I are going to a bead market Saturday and she is coming home with me to spend the night and so hubby thinks I am freaking out! I told him it has been about 3 years since she came here and I want things to look perfect! Her visit did get me motivated to hang all those pictures in my stairwell hall and hubby says "did you hang enough pictures". Men!

That door in the background is the one I had stripped and hung a while back. Everyone comments on it and we hung a oil painting hubby's mom painted on the wall behind the door. It is one of my favorite paintings (my mom paints also so we have a lot of artwork). I thought that painting was perfect there. That is hubby, his mom in the picture and our oldest son and our grandaughter Mary Jayne. It is always nice to get those generation photos. The rest of the photos in that album are her. My other 2 grandchildren live in different states and I don't see them often.

~anonymous~
conniem #347158 10/11/07 07:40 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala

I forgot that I had gotten this roll of film back

[URL=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

~anonymous~
conniem #348942 10/21/07 01:58 PM
D
Gecko
Gecko
D
Connie, I really like how you applied that dark blue. Really provides a pretty base to your home.

Donna smile

Donnarie #349074 10/22/07 10:20 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks Donna! Although I am working on painting the base white. That blue is the old blue. I don't think I worded that correctly earlier! Hopefully you will like the white as much as the blue.

~anonymous~
conniem #350279 10/26/07 07:50 PM
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Well, gee, um...I don't know...blue is my all time favorite color! White will look good, of course. wink

And, I thought you were going to take a rest! Knew you couldn't be still for long. grin

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Friday I smashed my big toe and of course I can't do anything halfway! I am going to lose the nail and thismorning it is still throbbing! I haven't taken my sock off yet and am afraid to! Of course, my dad came this weekend to work on the house and hubby told me if I didn't want to help all I had to do was say so! So far they have gotten 3 of my doors fixed. 2 needed hanging and one needed some minor adjustments. Today they are going to put screen/storm doors on outside.

~anonymous~
conniem #354913 11/18/07 10:27 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Yesterday I finished painting the base of the house! Yeah for me! Today I am going to replace the glass in one of the outside doors and then paint the screen door white and then all I will lack is sanding and painting the insides of the doorways into the house.

~anonymous~
conniem #355085 11/19/07 08:25 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Well, I got the broken glass out and put the glazing all around the window frame and I carefully picked up my glass and it went "chenk" and a small piece of the corner broke off. So I had to take all the glazing out. Luckily there was one place open (it was Sunday) and they cut a piece of glass for me out of scrap glass and charged me half of what I paid for the first piece (so that was nice...and we went and ate lunch) and I got it in. The first piece was a bit too short so I had really put a lot of glazing in. So now all I lack is doing the door frames! I am leaving Tuesday to go visit my folks and will be gone till Sunday so maybe after that I will feel more like getting some projects finished!

~anonymous~
conniem #355330 11/20/07 01:03 PM
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hi Connie,
I'm glad you are going away - sounds like you need a break. smile How is the toe?

The house is coming along - the foundation looks very nice painted white. wink You must be having lots of nice weather to do all that painting!

Hey - I thought you chose not to go with glazing the windows...what is my memory missing here?

Your kitties are cute. Cute names, too. LOL

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Hey Donna, I am still at my mom's till Sunday if the weather premits me to go home! It is snowing here and there too.

My toe is a lot better...I can get a shoe on now!

I had a door that has a big glass window in it and my son had broke it so I had to fix that with the cold weather coming up.

Those kitties were just inseperatable when they were little so I thought Heckyl and Jeckyl fit them. They have almost the same markings except their colors are different.

~anonymous~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.