Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Along with the instructions for my drum carder came the tip to use what we here in Australia call a Chux wipe or Jiffy cloth stretched over, and pushed down onto the carding cloth. Its easily replaced and helps keep the carder much cleaner after blending different colours or types of fibre.
Much as I tried, I couldn't get anything to stay down over my carding cloth, frown , and when I ran into jaquiew elsewhere, she suggested using a dish-washing brush or scrubbing brush to push the Chux down. It works! I stretched the cloth (which is a sort of woven paper) over the drums, after trimming it to size, and thumped it down into position with a nail brush. Problem solved!
A big thank you to jacquiew, and a suggestion that others try this.
Cheers, Caroline in Adelaide, who is about to put her malamute blend through her drum carder now she can easily clean up afterwards!

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
Hey, now! that idea would have kept the drum cloth much cleaner when I started using it to card grease wool! It would have saved me many hours with the toothbrush scrubbing the thing with rubbing alcohol.

Chux wipes? the same as baby wipes?

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. They are a generally blue and white coloured paper cleaning cloth that you can wash in the washing machine. Its quite stretchy and has a sort of cut out diamond pattern in it. Its the same stuff that they make nappy/diaper liners out of here. Its an open weave anyway, which is how you can get it down over the spikes - sheeting just doesn't seem to do the job unfortunately. My carder is now resplendant in its "nappy" waiting for me to use it.
I tend to use my carder for raw fleece, as that is what I prefer spinning, but in the past I have spent hours carding different blends that would have only taken a few minutes if my carder had worn a nappy! Now its all systems go!
Cheers, Caroline

S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
Oh! Ok, we have some of those things. Cannot at this moment think of the name of them.

I will have to get some when I go to town. Then I will have "nappy" on my carding drum too.

I just hate cleaning that thing.

If I ever get to use the big electric Patrick Green carder at the State Fair I will remember that and put a nappy on it too! Who ever is using it for demos that day has to quit 2 hours before we shut down the displays to clean the darned thing.

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
After Googling, I think what I am talking about you guys know as J-cloths - you only need the regular ones, not the heavy duty, and you guys also have a choice of colour! We get blue, and if we use a cheap knock-off, yellow, so its easy to see who goes for brand names, hehe! 1 regular one (the cheap knock-off) was about the right size for my drum carder with a half one for the smaller drum.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
Totally cool! I really like the idea of not having to spend hours and hours cleaning the carder drums after using them. Also when going from grease wool to something nice and white and clean!!

Cheap knock-offs?? who doesn't spend the least they can for cleaning supplies?? That is, when we stop playing with fibers long enough to see the dirt and dust that has accumulated!

I wouldn't even stop some days to cook and eat if I didn't have to!

J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Wow you really did go ahead and try it i am really pleased, as its a few minutes to save a lot of work.

A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
Yes, thanks to you I had that "aha" moment, and it was dead simple once I knew how to do it. The silly part is I'd tried before with thin fabric but obviously the weave was still too close to pack down. Great tip!

D
D
Could someone please tell me what the name of the cloth is here in the US?

Deana
Iowa

deanac #349706 10/24/07 11:14 PM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
This isn't much help but I have seem those in the States and know just what you're talking about. Problem is that I can't recall the name of the product for sure. I'm pretty sure that I have a package of them around but we're right in the middle of moving and I know it's at our town house and I'm at the farm frown
Try looking in the cleaning products aisle at the grocery or at a home improvement center. Also check the Auto cleaning supply ailse - seems that there was a heavy duty one for washing cars.
If all that doesn't work, remind me in a couple months - by then I will hopefully be unpacked - but don't bet on it...I have a HUGE stash to stow heaven only knows where!

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.