Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
lawren #327214 07/07/07 12:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get a new doctor if you can. How awful. Rude comments aren't just an American thing!

I was diagnosed with arthritis recently and have been told that I have fibromyalgia too. It does help to deflect some of the comments if you say you have a chronic condition which makes it "difficult" to have children. But you shouldn't have to make any excuse at all. We have the right to live our lives how we want and everyone else can sod off. Ha ha!

Take care!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#327221 07/07/07 01:19 AM
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: pmo
It is just statistics. Just because something is shown to be statistically related, doesn't mean it is causal. It is like saying that more people with red cars die in crashes...is it the red car that is causing the death or are red car owners more likely to speed and drive recklessly? See the difference?

Excellent point. The latest example of this to anger me is the whole thing about how kids that have gone to preschool are less prone to drop out of high school, turn to crime, etc, so they're trying to get more people to send their kids to preschool.

Now I agree with this in principle (I think preschool is a good thing), but nowhere does this *correlation* suggest *causation*. I suspect that families with more stability, income, access to different childcare choices, etc being more likely to *send* their kids to preschool. So it might be more about those other socioeconomic factors than preschool itself!

Sorry, ran off on a tangent there, but you see what I mean about statistics?

"I may not agree with what's on your bumper sticker, but I will fight to the end for your right to stick it." --Unknown
M
M
Hi all -- my first post here. As a doctor (though still in training smile I'm appalled at that pharmacist's advice. It is true that a lot of those gynecological cancers are fed by estrogen, which is produced by the ovaries. When a woman is menstruating regularly and has never been pregnant, she is exposed to a continuous level of hormones that women who are pregnant do not have. And the ovaries work overtime, making them more at risk for cancerous mutations. So we who do not spend our teens, twenties and early thirties pregnant are at higher risk of ovarian cancer and *some* kinds of breast cancer. Using oral contraceptives simulate the hormonal state of pregnancy as well as suppressing ovulation, so they do lower the risk of ovarian cancer if taken over a number of years. There is *no* association between uterine cancer and never having been pregnant -- the strongest lifestyle association with uterine cancer is obesity, and with cervical cancer it is the HPV virus and multiple sexual partners, etc.

Should a woman decide to get pregnant to make her 1% lifetime risk of ovarian cancer decrease to .75%? I think that overall, the risks of being pregnant and bearing children, as well as the stresses of childrearing must at least equal the increased risk of ovarian cancer, which is quite low in prevalence.

Sorry to get on a soapbox -- I couldn't resist! Nice to meet everyone and to have this board.

Julie

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.