Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#323650 06/20/07 07:10 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Is marital rape enough ground for divorce? What is the law in your country?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Do you have to have a reason to get a divorce? I have been divorced (and my husband didn't show up for court) and I was not really asked why I wanted it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Zebra
Zebra
Yes, CDM, Marital Rape is certainly grounds for divorce in the UK. Not only this, but a wife can bring legal charges against her husband, and if found guilty he will be punished by the Law.
Marital Rape is an offence, and is punishable by a cuatodial sentence.
The law does not look kindly on rape, and treats marital rape as an extremely serious offence.

Of course, first of all the wife has to feel emotionally strong enough to complain and to bring charges....

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes in America marital rape is enough for divorce. This usually falls under the category of "cruel and unusual punishment/treatment". My first husband and I divorced on the grounds of irreconsilable differences because in Ohio you can't divorce under the label of adultrey. He couldn't keep his pants on around other women, specifically his female co-workers.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
In Washington state the divorce law is no-fault, so it doesn't matter what your reasons are for wanting a divorce, if you want one you will get one, even if he doesn't.

Some cultures punish marital rape, and some look the other way, it's hard to tell. Even here in the US you usually have to have proof that it happened besides just the accusation in order for it to be prosecuted. But it is something that is coming out more and more and the authorities are begining to realize that saying no for 3 hours and then yes is a means of giving in so you can have peace rather than consent.

Good luck!

Dez

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Thank you all for this info.

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Originally Posted By: Jeanette - DV & Buddhism
Yes in America marital rape is enough for divorce. This usually falls under the category of "cruel and unusual punishment/treatment".

Don't you think this will be a "win" "win" situation for a unwise women to get a fast divorce and get marriage compensation.

Does that give any chance for the poor husband with this kinda law??

Just raised a doubt!!! is there anything to check this?

LD
Nursing Job
(Looking for Nursery Job in UK?)
D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Originally Posted By: Ganesh J acharya

Don't you think this will be a "win" "win" situation for a unwise women to get a fast divorce and get marriage compensation.

My question to this comment is: WHAT POOR HUSBAND??? If he is raping his wife then why in the world should we have sympathy???

Dez

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
You are right Dez. I was rather thinking that other than divorce, wife should also file a criminal case against such a man.

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Originally Posted By: Dez

My question to this comment is: WHAT POOR HUSBAND??? If he is raping his wife then why in the world should we have sympathy???

Dez

Hey.. I meant to ask if the husband has not raped and the wife complains one what has the husband left with him to contest..

I am talking about an exceptional case

LD
Nursing Job
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
The husband can refuse.
But I think that you are taking the topic wayward.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I see your point Ganesh, yes a woman can lie and say he raped herto get a divorce. But in most states in America there is what is called no-fault divorce which means you can seek a divorce for any reason and get granted it. My first husband and I divorced because he couldn't keep his pants on around women but I couldn't file for adultrey anymore in Ohio. So we had to file under irrconsialable (sorry spelling) differences and even if he didn't want the divorce, i would have been granted it because i no longer wanted to be married to him. The original intention of this post was to learn if marital rape is enough for divorce in various countries.

CD, to you knowledge, is it grounds for divorce in India?

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
I am checking about this Jeanette.
I am sorry to say but I feel sad that in India marital rape is common.
That is why I asked this.
I am in the process of finding out.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Jeanette,

The problem in this is - how to prove?
Such husbands do their deed without any witness.
So it is their word against the wife's word.
I know one case where the husband used to rape his wife 7 to 8 times a night.
I get enraged when I recollect that.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
from my understanding a doctor can do a physical exam and there is a physical signs of rape occuring. i accompanied a friend to the emergency room after she was raped and listened to the docs and social workers talk to her.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Yes. that is right. I never thought about this. Sorry.

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
I see your point Ganesh, yes a woman can lie and say he raped herto get a divorce. But in most states in America there is what is called no-fault divorce which means you can seek a divorce for any reason and get granted it.

Then in this kind of a divorce does the man has to compensate the wife? Just to update my knowledge. If yes, then there are lot of women who will try to misuse this law... I hope you understand what I am trying to ask you all.

It is 100% acceptable if a women in distress is getting advantage from the law, but there are law experts who can easily misuse the law and make money.

LD
Nursing Job
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
there are law experts who can easily misuse the law and make money.

Law experts will always make money, whether they win a case or lose it, they still get paid.
Misuse of the Law, by Law Experts is not as tolerated as one may think. It is also not as easy as you would think. The Laws are strictly composed to be as clear and succinct as possible. Even if a Law expert does try to be cunning, there is always a Judge who makes the final decision and gives the final verdict.
He or She can direct a Jury by giving both sides of the argument impartially.
So twisting legislation to suit their needs is not a simple affair, even for an expert.

"Things are not what they seem.... Nor are they otherwise...." (Lankavatara Sutta)

"The purpose of Life is simply, to be happy, and to make others happy." HH the Dalai Lama.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Then in this kind of a divorce does the man has to compensate the wife? Just to update my knowledge. If yes, then there are lot of women who will try to misuse this law... I hope you understand what I am trying to ask you all.

It is 100% acceptable if a women in distress is getting advantage from the law, but there are law experts who can easily misuse the law and make money.

I do not know all of the laws as far as compensation goes, by compensation I am assuming you are referring to what we call in America as alimony or spousal support. Alimony, from what I understand is usually granted to the husband or wife if their spouse makes more then they do at their job at the time of the divorce. When I sought divorce from my ex-husband/abuser, I was working, he was not. My lawyer made sure to bring that up in court, that I worked the majority of the marriage and could prove it and since he abused me, he should have no right to alimony, spousal support, or any part of my pension whatsoever. I also had proof that he abused me (police reports, neighbor statements, landlord statement and a restraining order).

Men and women try to take advantage of the law, not just women! Especially when it comes to domestic violence cases, the abuser (man or woman) tries to be so slick and get out of things. They place blame on their victim or the victims family and friends. I do understand what you are trying to ask. You are asking if claiming your husband raped you is an easy way to get a divorce. Yes someone can say they were raped but in most states in America, there is no-fault divorces, you don't even have to state a reason to get a divorce.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Jeanette,

If a woman can prove medically that she was raped by her husband, will he be prosecuted in the US?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes, he will be procesuted with physical evidence. That is why it is imperative if someone is raped they immediately go to the emergency room to have what is called a rape kit done for prosecution of the rapist. No matter how hard it is or how humiliate a woman may feel especially being violated by a man, it is so so important to go immediately. Now if a man is raped by a woman and yes it is possible, I don't know how you would prove it. In most communities, rape is just as horrible as murder. When I hear of rapes, you have to wonder if that fleeting moment of sexual pleasure is worth spending 20 years in prison for.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
When I hear of rapes, you have to wonder if that fleeting moment of sexual pleasure is worth spending 20 years in prison for.

Jeanette

That is momentary madness.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
IT has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual pleasure.
It is all to do with ultimate physical and mental control.

"Things are not what they seem.... Nor are they otherwise...." (Lankavatara Sutta)

"The purpose of Life is simply, to be happy, and to make others happy." HH the Dalai Lama.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Rape is result of uncontrolled sexual desire.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
No, I don't think it is as clear and simple as this. It isn't.
Rape is lagely a result of the desire of the perpetrator to exert ultimate control over his victim.
Whilst the act is sexual, and one may think that gratification is a factor, it may well be part of it, i will agree.... but it's not about the sex.

The thing is, the sexual act is the most intimate thing people can do with one another, and many regard it as precious, because a person gives ones self to another.
taking this priviledge by force, and compelling someone to perform a sexual act against their will is the ultimate example of control and power.
Sex isn't the thing. Domination seems to be far more the point.

Ask the viewpoint of other women though, because I wouldn't know from a personal point of view.
I am 45 and completely celibate, you see.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
I agree to disagree with you. Peace be with you.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Et cum spiritum tuum.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: MettaMaid
IT has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual pleasure.
It is all to do with ultimate physical and mental control.

Yes it is about control, Metta. And as sick as it sounds, many rapist do get sexual gratification from raping a woman. While I was taking my psychology courses in college, we watched videos of interviews with inmates, the ones who were in for committing rape almost all of them said they did derive some sexual satisfaction for the power struggle of it all. Sick, yes I know. The human brain is an amazing thing.

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Jeanette,

If a woman can prove medically that she was raped by her husband, will he be prosecuted in the US?

Good question!!!!

LD
Nursing Job
D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Jeanette,

Good question!!!!

And the answer? ABSOLUTELY!

Dez

D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Yes, rape is 100% about power, control, and dominance. It is taken that which is not given freely. Some people, mainly men, take sexual gratification from rape, but it is not from the sexual contact itself necessarily but rather that they are aroused by their vicitims helplessness.

Dez

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
You are right. Dez. Correct!

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
Jeanette,

Good question!!!!

Dez

Well you all men in America will need to protest about the same. In India laws are too tough to change. Again, how long it normally does take a law to get implemented at how long does it take to renew the same in the US? In India laws created during the 1800 century is still on.

LD
Nursing Job
D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Jeanette,

Good question!!!!

Dez

Well you all men in America will need to protest about the same. In India laws are too tough to change. Again, how long it normally does take a law to get implemented at how long does it take to renew the same in the US? In India laws created during the 1800 century is still on.

It is a frightening thing to have a person posting on this board who actually feels that rape and violence are a mans right over a woman and should not be prosecuted.

Dez

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
from my understanding a doctor can do a physical exam and there is a physical signs of rape occuring. i accompanied a friend to the emergency room after she was raped and listened to the docs and social workers talk to her.

Taken a example, if a wife says no and is not wanting a sex but husband still has it.. but she does not resist the sex, would that be considered as a rape? But in this case the wife has nothing at her side!!!!

LD
Nursing Job
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Ganesh, this happened to me several times with my ex. I would tell him no no no and he kept on coming at me, I would finally give in and just lay there so he would leave me alone. To me,he raped me because he forced me to do it. Now I don't know if I could have pressed raped charges on him because i did lay there and take it. That is a question to ask a police officer or a judge. i can't answer that. to me it felt like rape but the judge may see it different.

D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Having been the wife who resists the sex and says no, please no, please no, and then finally gives in gets it over with to be left alone, yes that is rape. I never wanted it, and never would have initiated it in that circumstance, but it was clear whose wants and desires mattered in this situation.

Like Jeanette said, it is difficult to say whether a judge would see it that way or not. However, I can say that most counselors and psychologists definately agree that it is rape. And an even worse rape because you were raped by someone you loved and trusted, even if you didn't get any broken bones from the experience. A broken psyche is much worse.

Dez

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Dez, you said no because you did not want that at that moment or because of other issues?

D
Dez Offline
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
It's a matter of time and place. For instance, when he would not leave me alone about having sex mere days and weeks after my son was born. I didn't want it, I wasn't ready for it, and yet the only way I could have a moment to myself without him trying to stick his hands down my pants was to give in. I still didn't want it, but at least I got some peace for a while.

Dez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.