Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Will quest of happiness not make me unhappy?
it is a paradox.
when we yearn for something, we become unhappy.

That's an excellent question. I think sometimes people get lost in the pursuit of what they think will make them happy. They might chase money, for instance, and have a bigger mortgage, and have to work more, but don't get to enjoy their home as much or their children while they are growing because they are working hard on a job, and they may not even enjoy that job. But my suggestion to simply watch what makes you happy avoids this. Often people don't know what makes them happy... they only think they know. So watch. Observe yourself. Much happiness comes from things that are free and accessible. Nature... people... learning... satisfaction in our own industry and in doing a good job... enjoying music, literature, art, dancing, making things, a good meal... time with loved ones and friends... being silly.

Pursuit of happiness may also disturb us if we feel we "ought" to be somewhere, instead of simply welcoming it into our lives, enjoying it when it is present, and going in the direction of making those things happen more often. But i don't think people do this too often. Usually i see it when someone is trying to please another, "be happy" for another, but abandonning themselves and their own desires. Still, it is rare.

Yearning for things is not the same as observing what makes you happy, not tomorrow or next year, but today. Here and now. Some people enjoy pursuits, challenges, risk, and even yearning. For me, i've learned i needed a paradigm shift: that it is important for me to enjoy the journey, rather than desperately try to reach a particular destination in my life. It starts NOW. With what I have, and what I don't have! I try not to put conditions on my happiness like, "I will be happy when i've found love," or, "I will be happy when i'm healthy," or "I will be happy when i make more money," or "I will be happy when____________." It might make a good exercise to discover how we answer this... what conditions we have placed on happiness. But life is change. There are always more goals, more destinations to reach as long as we breathe. If we're always waiting to get there before we are happy... we will rarely be happy. So whether i am ill, or alone, or unlucky, or poor, or have problems... i don't see that as an excuse. This day will never come again. Surely i can find some happiness in it.

Last edited by hollyelise; 06/15/07 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
Reading further posts i was reminded by one more thing:

If we are very depressed, often we don't want to do anything. We resist doing things! We "don't want to." But doing nothing will just cause stagnation, and depression will continue.

So as much as you are able, do things. Go see friends. Sign up for a night class. Go to a concert. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Tell your friends you need help pulling out of it, and ask them, if you like, to take you places.

My friend M is often very depressed, he's on medication and sees a psychiatrist and a therapist. And his friend J and myself have found sometimes if we invite him to things on the phone he'll say no, because he's feeling depressed and he wants to just lay in bed. But we have found that if we go to his door and surprise him and chat a little and then say, "Okay, M, we're going out, get dressed!" That he might complain a little, but he'll be glad to see us and he'll get dressed and we'll go out and he'll have a good day, and then next few days will be better for him.

So i guess my point is, if you're depressed be aware that not wanting to do things is normal, but forcing yourself a little to do more things will help you find your way out of the pain. You'll be distracted some from thoughts that make you unhappy, by doing things, and sometimes you'll find people or events that you really enjoy. It takes effort, but it is worth it!!!!! smile

B
Shark
Shark
B
CD, the quickest way to be happy is just to decide to be happy.

Welcome back, by the way--I must have missed your return, but I'm glad to see you here again smile

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Hey Holly,

that is fantastic. your memory is great and your analysis is superb. Now, if you remember in one of your posts yesterday you said that you wanted to be happy. I thought I will make a general post and find out what happiness is all about. Because not only you but all of us need happiness and I thought that some conversation will help us.

I am surprised at Alexandra who many times behaves like a school teacher and tells everyone what to do.

If she thinks that I am making some post that is of no use, she should either inform the mod. or ignore.

Last edited by cdmohatta; 06/16/07 05:25 AM.
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Originally Posted By: Barbara_Sloan
CD, the quickest way to be happy is just to decide to be happy.

Welcome back, by the way--I must have missed your return, but I'm glad to see you here again smile

thanks Barbara.

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: hollyelise
Who me?

No, not you. never you.! smile

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Reading further posts i was reminded by one more thing:

If we are very depressed, often we don't want to do anything. We resist doing things! We "don't want to." But doing nothing will just cause stagnation, and depression will continue.

So as much as you are able, do things. Go see friends. Sign up for a night class. Go to a concert. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Tell your friends you need help pulling out of it, and ask them, if you like, to take you places.

My friend M is often very depressed, he's on medication and sees a psychiatrist and a therapist. And his friend J and myself have found sometimes if we invite him to things on the phone he'll say no, because he's feeling depressed and he wants to just lay in bed. But we have found that if we go to his door and surprise him and chat a little and then say, "Okay, M, we're going out, get dressed!" That he might complain a little, but he'll be glad to see us and he'll get dressed and we'll go out and he'll have a good day, and then next few days will be better for him.

So i guess my point is, if you're depressed be aware that not wanting to do things is normal, but forcing yourself a little to do more things will help you find your way out of the pain. You'll be distracted some from thoughts that make you unhappy, by doing things, and sometimes you'll find people or events that you really enjoy. It takes effort, but it is worth it!!!!! smile

Yes. I agree with you.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
i will forget my happy state and begin writing?
Holly is that good?

smile If we're out of practice, yes, i think it helps to jot down a note or two... maybe at the end of the day. Because we tend to forget! Now, if i look in my journal, i see reminders of what things make me happy, and some days i need that.

You asked for examples of things that will make you happy. But happiness is very individual. Some people love digging in the dirt of their garden. Others see that as work and don't enjoy it.

Someone else's list of happy thoughts is remote to you. But if i had to guess at some of the things that make you happy, i would say they might include:

When you feel you've done something or are something special... particularly when someone else notices it. Perhaps if you wrote down compliments you receive in a journal, that would make a nice collection to revisit and smile. smileGive me a compliment to begin with.

I think you also like playfulness and good jokes, particularly when they require intelligence. That's very true.

I think you enjoy some things of the senses... what they are i don't know... scenery? birdsong? a nice meal? deep breathing? a scent? music? Music, Scents, Poems

I think you like helping people. Yes. I try my best.

I think you enjoy learning, and if i remember right, i think you said you enjoy reading. True. I am a voracious reader

These are just a few things... watch when you find yourself smiling. smile

Hi, Holly, I have made my comments in bold above.

Your post has made me happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Last edited by cdmohatta; 06/16/07 05:21 AM.
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Trish,

Hats off to you.

You are so systematic in your approach !
you are so caring and full of love!
You are a true friend!

May god bless you.

I will begin with your suggestions today and report the changes to you.

Zebra
Zebra
Thank you trish. Your post has given me grounds for thinking.....

Originally Posted By: babyquacker

THIS NEXT PART IS FOR THE REST OF US, including Alexandra who seems so positive that it really puts off others with ailments.[/quote]

(Bold & italic text mine).
Well isn't that a shame, Trish? I'm really sorry you perceive things this way. What I would much rather my positivity did, would be to stimulate others to ask,
"Alexandra, what's your secret? how have you gained the positivity you know today?"

[quote=babyquacker] IMPORTANT for all friends (and family) who want to HELP ANYONE who suffers from depression:

Keep reassuring the depressed person that, with time and help, he or she will feel better.

The most important thing anyone can do for the depressed person is encouraging the individual to stay with treatment or to seek different treatment if no improvement occurs.

Encourage participation in some activities that once gave pleasure, such as hobbies, sports, religious or cultural activities.

Invite the depressed person for walks, outings, to the movies, and other activities.

Engage the depressed person in conversation and listen carefully.

Offer emotional support, which involves understanding, patience, affection, and encouragement, but point out realities and offer hope.

These are things I have always done, and i personally think it's absolutely vital they are adhered to. I complketely agree and concur.

Originally Posted By: babyquacker
What we should NOT do:

Do not accuse the depressed person of not listening to our advice or understanding all of our halp.
Don't make too many demands because it can increase feelings of failure.
Do not disparage feelings expressed by the depressed person.

I hope you are not intimating that I have ever disparaged, accused or even trivialised or belittled anyone who has declared themselves to be suffering from depression.
Trish, could i just say that I have not always been this way.
I have known prolonged periods in my life that have brought me much suffering, pain and despair, and that had things swung differently, doubtless would certainly have led me into a spirsl of bleak oblivion.
But I managed to find my way out of such situations, and conquered the demons that threatened to overwhelm me.
I know the going is hard. i know obstacles seem insurmountable, and i know it is no overnight transformation. But that I have become the positive, energetic, smiling person that I am todasy is testimony to the fact that it is not impossible.
You may perceive I have no empathy, understanding or compassion for people with depression.
then you don't know me at all.
Please believe me when I tell you I always have you in my thoughts and prayers, such as they are...

I do not 'seem'positive. I AM positive. Genuinely and constantly.
It's taken tears, toil, heartache, effort and sheer bloody-mindedness, but it's been worth every broken, fighting, struggling instant.

Thank you.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.