Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
[b][/b]Hi all,
Just checking to see how many of you are on Avandia?
Well I am and will be talking to my doc shortly.
Keep me posted.[color:#FF6666]

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I took it for about a week and was sick the whole time!!! but I am a type one so.... pills dont help me at all anyways!!!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
I was considering it when this announcement came out. Actos caused me edema, so had to quit that. Avandia is in the same class so was wondering if it too would cause me to retain water. But now, no more consideration of this class of drugs at all.

Hi, all, I am the new spinning editor and a type 2 diabetic for the past 10 years. I am on Lantus and Met ER along with a severly restricted food plan and highly motivated movement plan. I consider the 4-letter word DIET to be one of the nastiest words in the English language.

Koala
Koala
HAHAHAHA Sue I think I like you!!!! I am on Lantus,and novolog and the 4 letter word sents i was a kid or 5 yrs old!!! the lantus and novolog are about 4 yrs old but the 4 letter stays forever!!! and I am still fat!!! lol

You may like to know that Chromiom and Cinnomin help stableize your BS!!! I take 50 mg of Chrominom and also take 500 of Cinnomin because its good for circulation too and it cant hurt you as far as i know!!! just make sure you dont take them on an empty tummy!!! Dark chololate is good to stabliblize BS too!!! yummy!!!

You may check with your Doctor (6 letter word!!!) and see what they say.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
well I talked to my doctor and he said a avandia rep came to his office to discuss it. He's reviewing all his patients on avandia on a case by case basis and will get back to me.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
S
I have tried the chromium and the cinnamon, sort of helped, still wound up on insulin lots sooner than planned. that dr was an idiot!! found another soon after that dr made some really quacky statements.

I watch what I eat very closely. Granddaughter (giggle girl) doesn't like many of my menus! Lunch today was mini salmon loafs and cheesy broccoli. She loves the cheesy broccoli so she had to eat at least one salmon loaf to get more broccoli.

Our snack today will be a teeny tiny slice of Double Devils Fun cake! In honor of my grandmother's birthday. She would have been 100 today! (any good reason for a party with a 12 yr old) She will have milk and I will have green tea!

I am sort of on a level plateau for the moment. too high, but will live with it as I don't want to do more insulin - it hits my tummy and butt areas and stays there!

Have a lovely afternoon!

Koala
Koala
I take so much insulin and I feel like I walk dont the street with a sign that says HERE"S MA BELLY!!!!

G
G
I registered on this site tonight and I do take AVANDIA. I have been taking it for about 1 1/2 yrs. I haven't had any side affects. freebubbles3, I know what u mean,I'm on insulin too, what a pain makes you feel like a pin cushion.

Last edited by grammy11; 09/17/07 04:02 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
test

Koala
Koala
the only thing that bothers be about insulin is that if you have to take a shot in public people look at you like OMG she shotting up! yeah when is the last time you saw someone mainline in there big belly?! or there leg?

M
M
I was on Avandia. When I heard the bad news about it I just quit taking it, called my Dr. to let her know and next time I went in to see her she told me that the Avandia reps also told her that it was safe to take but she told me she wasn't so sure. She told me she would not write anymore prescriptions for it to her patients.

R
R
I have had Diabetes 2 for about 5 years since my weight doubled after going on meds for my Bipolar Disorder. For now my BS is high & I have just been put on Metformin 1000 mg 2 times a day. Anyone had luck with that?

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
It seems as though we're darned if we do, and darned if we don't.

Women�s Fracture Risk Doubles with Avandia, Actos
Quote:
... After reviewing data from 10 clinical studies involving 14,000 diabetic patients, the research team says the fracture risk to diabetic women is twice that of men. ...

... This finding comes as a bit of a double whammy for diabetic women, since women become more prone to fractures than men as they age, whether or not they are diabetic.

Avandia (rosiglitazone), made by GlaxoSmithKline, and Actos (pioglitazone), made by Takeda, are both thiazolidinedione (TZD) drugs, already known to produce cardiovascular side effects. Both Avandia and Actos are known to increase the risk of heart failure and are required by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to carry strong label warnings. In addition, Avandia increases the risk for heart attack, a finding that has caused its sales to plummet since the knowledge became public in May 2007. ...

Halting Avandia Use Raises Blood Sugar - Forbes Magazine
Quote:
Study found diabetics who discontinued drug had less treatment, worse management of disease
THURSDAY, April 16 (HealthDay News) -- Many patients who stopped using the diabetes drug rosiglitazone (Avandia) due to concerns about the drug's safety received less treatment and developed higher blood glucose levels, U.S. researchers report. ...
... This study reaffirms that patients who discontinue use of rosiglitazone (Avandia)and another thiazolidinedione (TZD) called pioglitazone (Actos) are at increased risk for higher fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin A1c levels, which may increase their cardiovascular risk, cardiologists Dr. Stuart Zarich of Yale Medical School and Dr. Richard Nesto of the Lahey Clinic, wrote in an accompanying journal editorial.

Have you ever been to see a cardiologist, or an endocrinologist for your diabetes?

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
R
R
I was on Avandia a few years ago, but didn't feel well taking it. My doctor put me on glucophage and glipizide, which worked well for a while. Luckily, my wife helped me get my diabetes under control before things got worse -- by focusing on lots of veggies, salads, soups, juicing, etc. that she got from a book she got from Amazon.com. My BS went down from an average of 164 to 107 and my a1c dropped from a high of 7.1 to 6.5 to 5.4%, and I lost 37 pounds. It has a 'weird' title written by an engineer who almost DIED but the book really helped (with my wife's support of course)!! p.s. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the author's name or the title of his book, so I'll leave it out unless someone says it's okay. Richard

L
L
Hello Richard, You've got a great wife :-) -- I wish I could convince my husband to eat better. But he's seems okay with taking Avandia and the other drugs -- they don't seem to affect him and his BS is usually normal. Linda p.s. I figured out who the author is that you mentioned that almost died from a diabetic coma. You said he was an engineer so I googled on "engineer" and diabetes", and a couple YouTube videos were referenced. So I went to YouTube and did a search on "engineer" and diabetes", and a whole bunch of videos came up! There's A LOT of good information in the videos, plus I was surprised that an ENGINEER would have a sense of humor!!?? :-) Thanks for the great tip! (I'm going to see if I can get my husband to watch the videos)

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
laugh Richard, you can put any information here that did help you and would help others. There are some rules about links, etc. but you'll find out what they are when you read the forum rules.

I have been on Avandia for several years, even after the possible side effects were made known. The conventional medications didn't work for me or made me ill. However, my insurance company has recently made the decision to not cover Avandia, and I had to change about one month ago to Januvia. It seems to work as well as Avandia, and I don't 'retain fluids'. My BG's seem to have stayed at a good level. And I am not getting the lows that I would get even with Avandia. I can't wait until there's a generic cause the Januvia isn't covered very well either.

I'd like the book title, but I could Google it as well, I suppose.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
My doctor had a lot of visits from the Avandia rep. The rep would buy lunch for all of the office staff. It didn't matter what I said about how badly I felt using Avandia. My doctor still wanted me to take it. Finally, I just weaned myself off of it. I told him that I would not under any circumstances take it again. Shortly after that, the first reports about Avandia and heart problems came out.

I have felt so much better since I am not taking Avandia. It's my body, and I will no longer take medication that I feel is bad for me.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Richard, a year ago, after reading your post, I bought the book, Death to Diabetes by DeWayne McCulley. I had the same results. It was amazing. I saw my blood glucose values drop like a rock. My weight went down. My medication needs were cut in half. This took place over a 6 week period.

Unfortunately, school started again, and I didn't have a good plan for continuing. School's out today, and I am reviewing the plan. I've started implementing the oils. We have been careful about the type of food that we are bringing home. Monday, another woman and I am going to get with the program.

I want to thank you for your post last year.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.