Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
lala21 #313649 05/15/07 04:21 PM
B
Shark
Shark
B
Wow, those are a lot of changes you have planned! But moving is a good time to "clean house" and go for a fresh start. That's the best time to establish new habits, new routines, too.

Yes, that trigger-elimination method came to me when I thought about how tied my smoking was to certain times of the day and activities, so I tried it, and it worked. Everybody has different attachments to their trigger behaviors. For me, the hardest ones to eliminate were smoking at work breaks and smoking in the car. But I just kept setting dates for myself to go for the next elimination, and they weren't nearly as difficult to stop as I had expected.

By the way, I did practically stop socializing for a bit--it helped to not be around people while I was quitting, and I didn't resume my social life until I'd gotten a few eliminations successfully under my belt and knew I could go to a party without being tempted to go outside with the smokers.

At work, I started stretching out the frequency of my smoke breaks, taking them less and less often, and walking instead while sucking on a mint (and breathing it in :)) so I wouldn't gain weight.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
das #313787 05/15/07 11:13 PM
Zebra
Zebra
Yes, das, my boyfriend succeeded, too--he quit one week before me and has also been smoke-free for over a year now.

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Step number one starts tomorrow:

Eliminating 1 of 3 of my smoke breaks.

lala21 #316434 05/23/07 03:23 AM
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Quit smoking date: June 2, 2007. Wish me luck lol

lala21 #316479 05/23/07 09:28 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Good Job, Lala! You'll do great!

H
Koala
Koala
H
Wonderful, Lala!

Each hour free is success! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Today at work I thought of a great way to quit smoking!

Basically, for every month that I am smoke free, however much money I would have spent on cigarettes I donate to a charity of some sort. That way if I break and start smoking again then that means I don't have that money to help out those in need, which isn't a very good feeling because I don't get to help people all because I wanted to smoke!

Instead of looking at it as "quitting" Im choosing to do something better with my money.

I don't know how many people would go for it, but I had a brief thought of starting one of those things that are like the "bike to work weeks" where whoever wants to participate donates the money that they would have spent on their bad habit (whether it be smoking, gambling etc) for one week a year. And call it something like "Quit for the kids week" or something along those lines and donate the money to a Childrens Hospital or a Cancer research fund. And who knows, it may help people break their bad habit because alot of people have a hard time even getting through a couple of days, so if they could make it a whole week, then that could be a start to the end of their bad habit. Alot of the time it's hard to quit for yourself (even though that should be why you are quitting) but sometimes it takes some sort of incentive and reward, and to me there's nothing more rewarding than helping others in need.

Last edited by lala21; 05/25/07 09:52 PM.
lala21 #317370 05/25/07 11:11 PM
H
Koala
Koala
H
Lala, that is a great idea! I have a friend that works at a place that makes a "Biggest Loser" pool each month. Those who wish to participate, put in $5 at the beginning of the month and they weigh in. At the end of the month, they weigh again. Each person who gains weight has to chip in an extra $2 per pound gained, and whoever is the biggest loser wins the pot.

But i like your idea of giving the money you would have spent to charity. For me, i find if i "diet" then i'm only thinking of what i can't have. Instead if i think of adding more healthy food into my diet (like if i set a goal for how many vegetables i eat in a day), then i'm thinking of what i gain, and it feels better and works better. I think your idea is like that, too. You can focus now on what you are now able to offer and how you can help others! I think that's awesome! smile

You are very sweet, Lala. I'm glad to have met you.

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Thank you Holly!! I'm glad I met you too!

lala21 #318322 05/30/07 01:49 PM
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
I quit a couple a years ago after smoking for 17 years. Everything all the ex-smokers said is right on. All I will add is this......try not to tell yourself that you will "never smoke again." When you are trying to quit and you tell yourself that, it just makes you want to smoke one last cig because it makes you sad to think that you " will never smoke again."

When I quit, I focused on one day at time. Sometimes I had to focus on 1 hour at a time. But I never told myself that dreaded phrase because it will defeat you. Instead I told myself, "I CAN SMOKE A CIG ANYTIME I WANT, BUT I CHOOSE NOT TO."

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.