Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Yeah last time we both tried to quit we almost killed eachother! lol.. not literally! But it was tooooo intense. And when I said I get emotional and he gets [censored] - I know that that's part of life and everyone experiences those things, but with us it's to the extreme and it gets to be too much to deal with that we both cave in.

I know I can do it but it's gonna be tough. It mostly gets to me at work and in social situations. All my friends and family are smokers. The only non smokers in our lives are hubby's parents!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
lala21 #311849 05/07/07 11:03 PM
H
Koala
Koala
H
You can do it! I can tell you are strong.

And you have lots of reasons to quit, and not just for yourself. Think of how your quitting might help your parents and other family to quit. When you quit, you'll be inspiring them. Most smokers want to quit, but i guess it helps us all to know someone who has done it. smile

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Thank you smile

I know I can do it too... I just have to wake up one day and not smoke. It will happen.

lala21 #311977 05/08/07 10:58 AM
Zebra
Zebra
A couple other suggestions:

My boyfriend swears by Wellbutrin (Zyban) and it's worth a shot--it lessens the nicotine cravings in the brain. It's covered by most insurance and sometimes docs have samples. You start taking it a week before you plan to quit. Not for people with seizure disorders, but most others can take it.

Having a "quit date" also helps mentally prepare you!

Also, I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book and it really helped me understand the addiction thing and probably made it easier to quit. It's at Amazon & most bookstores--costs way less than a carton of cigs!

Good luck!

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Your boyfriend succeeded?

das #313417 05/14/07 07:12 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Congradulations BellaDeb for the one year mark is truly a milestone! I too had smoked for over 30 years. Today I am 76 days smoke free and everyday I celebrate this accomplishment because I am truly free and taking back the control that cigarettes once had on me. I think in order to be sucessful, everyone has to want to quit. If your not ready or you are quitting for the wrong reasons or because someone else wants you to quit then the chances of failing are greater because this truly is an addiction.

I used the new drug out called Chantix. I had in the past tried most everything on the market from Zyban, nicotine patches, hypnosis and the gum and nothing ever worked for me until I discovered Chantix. Prior to now the longest I had ever gone smoke free was 14 days. When we smoke nicotine attaches itself to certain receptors in our brain that release dopamine which is what gives us that pleasurable sensation when we smoke. What Chantix does is block the nicotine from attaching. You set a target date to quit usually one week from the day you start taking the medication and then you put your cigarettes down.

Many people are having great results using this medication so if anyone is ready to quit and they think they need help see your doctor and as them if Chantix is right for you. It was a lifesaver for me. You can obtain information on this medication by going to their website. They have some great information to help you decide if this may work for you. Good Luck to those of you trying to quit.

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Zyban is not good?

das #313493 05/15/07 01:05 AM
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I've heard many different things about Zyban. I know some people who always felt sick from it, while others it worked like a charm. I think it just depends on the person. Not everything is going to work for everything, and everyone will have different reactions to different quitting techniques. For me, I've never tried the patch or any other medication. Always cold turkey for me!!! I may be wrong, but I always think that using the patch or anything else just keeps you addicted longer and isn't really going to help you quit, it's just going to take the edge off which I suppose does make it much easier, but I'd rather just choose not to smoke and then don't. lol smile

das #313504 05/15/07 02:25 AM
B
Shark
Shark
B
I quit smoking in 2002 after reading Alan Carr's book and joining quitnet.com's support site. I did the "weaning" method, cutting back on my "trigger" times one by one (such as no longer smoking just before going to sleep, or smoking when I was on the phone, or smoking while I was driving, or smoking during breaks at work, or smoking after meals, etc.) until I was only smoking one cigarette a day first thing in the morning. I kept up that one-cig-a-day thing for months before I finally finished Carr's book and set a solid quit date (Thanksgiving weekend), and when that day came, I didn't have my morning cigarette. I think it's the hardest thing I've ever done, but I don't miss smoking like I feared I would.

My husband quit in 2000, so my smoking became something I didn't want to do around him. I started smoking outside, making myself as uncomfortable as I possibly could, and that helped me to want to quit. Doing it gradually the way I did helped me deal with the withdrawal in small doses, so it didn't hit me hard all at once (the main cause of my previous quit attempt failures), and I had to learn a new coping method, as smoking was the one thing I had always turned to in emotional-upset times. Now, instead of going off to smoke and sooth myself, I call my sister or a friend and talk it out, and I think I'm much more mentally healthy, too, as a result.

But if you're trying to quit, my hat is off to you. It's a tough challenge, and you're very brave to face it smile

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Thanks Barbara... I think that's a great way to quit! Eliminating each trigger one by one. I think that is something that would work for me, and possibly my husband.

I wonder if starting with the most common/hardest trigger first would be helpful. My biggest triggers are on my breaks at work and in social situations. It is soo hard not to smoke at work because that is where I smoke the most. And then of course the social situations (parties etc), and then boredom and stress. If I can keep myself busy then I don't think about it much, but then if I'm too busy then I'll get stressed and want a smoke lol.

My plan to quit by June 2nd. We are moving June 1st and I'm going to use this opportunity not only to move from house to house, but to make some lifestyle changes ex: quit smoking, start exercising, get back into drawing, painting, crafts etc, eating healthier, going back to church etc.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.