Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I
It is too bad that there are children who will be hurt. Although their father is not much of a role model, so it is likely they are already being hurt by the situation. (I was lucky in that my ex and I didn't have any kids, so no one else was hurt and I never have to see him again.) Is she afraid her husband would get custody of the children and she'd have to pay alimony/child support? I'm not a lawyer, but I think that is a valid concern.

I'm an August baby and have always enjoyed the relaxed pace of summer.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Lala,

Caring for a home can be a full time job if one partner takes on managing the home and caring for kids. Then there are additional things that can take even more time like cooking from scratch, gardening and many in my area have their own animals to care for (cows, goats, chicken, ect).

Or there is even participation in the community or volunteer work.

Shark
Shark
In light of the fact that the man doesn't seem to be contributing anything...I can't see how this marriage will continue on. I certainly have no idea how happiness could be achieved.

But she will have to make the decision for change.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Some women find the idea of change more frightening than being in an unworkable marriage.

Funny you should mention alimony. I think her husband is the kind who would ask for custody and child support!

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
yes... I agree with you...

I said that if the husband just didn't want to work without a valid reason I would consider that laziness. And I said that I think husbands and wives should both work full time except in situations where there's parenting (stay at home moms or dads), disability, going to school ETC. (the 'etc' includes taking care of a home and other stuff)

But if he just didn't want to work AND wasn't doing anything else to contribute that's not fair. That was my point when I said "without a valid reason"

That's just my opinion though. Everyone's marriage is different, and everyone lives their lives differently, I just wouldn't be okay with that in my marriage and neither would my husband. But when we have children I will be taking on the role of staying at home and taking care of the home, children, cooking etc, and I won't be working, (at least not full time) for a few years anyways.

Last edited by lala21; 04/22/07 09:42 PM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
This situation sounds a lot like the situation with my ex-husband and I. I really value the non-financial benefits of having someone at home - a garden, not having to worry about the kids after school, meals from scratch, someone with time to go bargain shopping, etc. I work in a well-paying field and hate housework, so it made a lot of sense for him to stay home and work on his home-based business and fixing up the house. He actually ended up doing little to nothing. In hindsite, what it came down to is that he was having a resurgence of PTSD (he was a Vietnam Veteran.) Because I worked enough to keep a roof over our head and food on the table and his kids clothed (his bio-kids lived w/ us full-time), he didn't have to deal with the problems that were keeping him at home and he continued to get worse.

When he finally admitted he had a problem and went to the Vet Center, part of his treatment plan was to either get a part-time job or a volunteer job that required him to show up and contribute somewhere at a set time several days a week. He didn't do it (and pretty much didn't go to counseling - ie 4 times in 6 months when ideal is 4-6 times a month.) When I kicked him out, he had no choice but to get a job. Within a few months he started being much more present as a parent to his daughters. Although he's very angry at me and we don't keep in close touch, from what I see, he's continuing to do better and forcing him out on his own is probably the best thing I could have done for him.

One of my friends put it really well, he said "He doesn't produce." I think that's the issue. I've had some times in my life where I couldn't work full-time because of my health, but I've always tried to do what I could. There is a lot you can do for the household without holding down a job. Even people who are disabled or ill but mentally healthy want to contribute to the ability that they are able. If someone is just a drain on the household, that is a sign of a problem. (Note, sometimes people need to take a break so they can get some education or be refreshed in some way to work more later - in those cases, there is a plan and it is being followed.)

At any rate, I'd say it's a sign of depression or some other problem and if the person isn't willing to get help, their partner should leave. The test I used, was asking if I was setting an example I'd want my daughters to follow. I wasn't, so I started doing so.

Julie

Shark
Shark
Thank you for clarifying, Lala.

Shark
Shark
"If someone is just a drain on the household, that is a sign of a problem."

I agree, Julie. One of the things that is important to me is that I am better off and my family is better off with my being at home.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
That is definitely a difficult place to be in. I lived it myself for several years and it basically destroyed the marriage and truly hurt the children. I finally left and raised the children myself while working. It wasn't easy, but peace and stability came back to the home.

I wish you the best!

Sandy

Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: His Brandy
One of the things that is important to me is that I am better off and my family is better off with my being at home.

Brandy - You said it so well! I think that a family (even a family of two) can easily be better off with only one person working for wages, and it doesn't matter what gender that person is, what matters is that the adults in the family are working for the good of the family.

Julie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.