logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#296064 03/02/07 07:16 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Women around the world actively want to win the crowns. women also watch these competitions in large numbers. After this do they have a right to object about being made a sex object?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Good question...if someone consents to prance around a stage in high heels and a bathing suit, she should not be complaining that the guys watching are not respecting her for her mind - IMO. On the other hand, too many mothers pass on to their daughters that beauty is more important than brains, not necessarily in so many words, but by what they model.

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Originally Posted By: Sylvia - Civil Rights Host
Good question...if someone consents to prance around a stage in high heels and a bathing suit, she should not be complaining that the guys watching are not respecting her for her mind - IMO. On the other hand, too many mothers pass on to their daughters that beauty is more important than brains, not necessarily in so many words, but by what they model.

Read bold- Is this true?

Shark
Shark
I know a crown winner personally. And I know that not all of these young women enjoy the swimsuit highheel parade. My neighbor was in the pageant simply for the opportunity it would give. Her degree was in communications and it offered a forum for her. She did a wonderful job and by no means would she or should anyone else ever think of her as a sex object. The entire bathing suit thing should be removed from the competition and a physical fittness routine or something should be substituted. Most of these pageant participants also have very good GPA's. So I do not believe that most mother's promote beauty over brains. I do believe that mother's care about their daughters self esteem and try to help along the way. I do know that there are exceptions. My daughter won a local scholarship pageant, no swimsuit required, and the mother of a participant who did quite well was furious, as her daughter had won three seperate events, but was the lowest scoring in academics. She even sat down when they announced my daughter as the winner. From my personal experience I would have to say that it happens, but I believe it is the exception.

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
In my country, women who win or qualify for the top spots in international beauty pageants become instant celebrities. They would receive a lot of offers from TV and movie producers. That's why I can't blame women from joining these competitions.

Improve your business by outsourcing:
Discover the advantages at http://outsourcetothephilippines.wordpress.com
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You tell me - what does it tell a young girl to see mom obsessed with the various fashion mags? What does it tell her to see mom on and off fad diets, and popping questionable diet pills? How do young girls feel when instead of appreciating their fresh faces mom tells them to put on some makeup during their elementary school play to "look pretty?"

In all these ways, moms are modeling that looks are everything - IMHO.

Shark
Shark
All of the school plays my children have been in, which was quite a few, the males are expected to wear stage make up as well. And it isn't to look pretty, it's so the audience can truly see your face. As far as your magazines go you're probably correct, but I'm not sure what the connection with pageants is?

Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
I think that much depends upon the values mothers pass on.

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.