Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#285462 12/22/06 06:30 PM
Q
OP Offline
Q
Hello,

I'm 22 years old and I'm in desperate need of advice. I've been with the same guy for almost 5 years. There are times in which I am happy with him, but lately I feel as if my feelings for him are fading. We don't see each other much and when we do most of the time we have silly arguments. He won't take me on vacations or leave town with just me, his parents usually have to go with us. He stopped going to college last year, keeps claiming he'll go back, but hasn't yet. He told me there was a very good chance that we would be engaged by the new year, but has cancelled that. He doesn't seem to be motiviated when it comes to a life with me. When talk about marriage comes about, he claims we're way too young. I'll be done with college next Decemeber. There was this really good guy who came into my life a few months ago when my b/f of 5 years and I took a break. I broke the guys heart to go back to my b/f. I'm really really starting to regret doing that. I sent the guy an e-mail last night apologizing for what I have done, but I never got a response. I don't know if I should leave my b/f and move on with my life. I try so hard to save for the future and create a good life for us, but there is never any appreciation given. I sometimes wish I would have prusued a relationship with the guy whose heart I broke. I don't know how to get him back if that's what I should do. I can't think of anything special to do for him. If anyone could please offer me some advice to help ease my pain, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#285463 12/30/06 03:01 AM
H
H
Hello,

I can see how distraught you are as I am slightly in a similar position. It seems to me that you've had doubts with this relationship much earlier since you've already taken a break from your bf a few months ago. I believe the best thing to do right now is sort out how you feel toward him, and him only. Do you still love him, do you want to be with him in the future, and do you love him enough to work things out by talking to him about how you feel. If you do then talk to him thoroughly, make sure he knows exactly how you feel. If he is not up for the conversation, then he shouldn't even be considering marriage. In that case, I think this would be a legitimate reason for you to leave. I would only say this to you because you are still young. Like you said, you've been with your bf for 5 years. You've spent a whole chunk of your life together, lots of memories, difficult to throw away, lots of baggage. What was the reason that you got back with your bf after your break? Was it because you wanted to or because since you've been together for so long...might as well stick around...

What I am trying to get across is, you still have a choice because you control your own destiny.

Now, about this "great guy" that you've met a while back. You still don't know him well enough. I realized that it took me a good year to really get to know my ex (who was a wonderful guy) and realize he just was not the right one for me. If you do break up with your bf, just be sure that it won't be because you want to date this other dude. Now say that you do break up with your bf and then go out with this new guy and later find out that he was more like a great friend rather than bf material ("great guy"). In this case, I hope that you won't feel like you really want your ex back.

Main point here is make sure you are not making decisions based on the idea that you just want to settle with someone. There are more than two choices. You also have the choice of being with yourself. To be single is not a bad thing because you know what you want and you are still choosing for yourself. Do it for yourself, what do you want? Are you truely happy?

So you said you broke the new guy's heart. Remember, someone's heart is going to be broken either way, but time will heal itself. Don't feel guilty or your life will never "move on". If you really feel (after sorting out your feelings with your bf and yourself) that you want to pursue a relationship with the new guy, then do so (after you've broken up, of course). Because I think that you will regret if you don't. You would feel better knowing if it worked out between you two. As to what you should do or say to the new guy, just be honest. Let him know that you feel that you didn't get a good head start on things due to your issues around your bf before. Tell him that you are more grounded with yourself now and that you feel that you want to give this another go. But remember the choice is his to make. The guy's heart was broken, but don't feel like you have to make any promises.

Remember life is short, do what makes you happy.

Good luck!

~Helen

#285464 01/01/07 02:14 AM
Wolf
Wolf
Quote:
Hello,

I'm 22 years old and I'm in desperate need of advice. I've been with the same guy for almost 5 years. There are times in which I am happy with him, but lately I feel as if my feelings for him are fading. We don't see each other much and when we do most of the time we have silly arguments. He won't take me on vacations or leave town with just me, his parents usually have to go with us. He stopped going to college last year, keeps claiming he'll go back, but hasn't yet. He told me there was a very good chance that we would be engaged by the new year, but has cancelled that. He doesn't seem to be motiviated when it comes to a life with me. When talk about marriage comes about, he claims we're way too young. I'll be done with college next Decemeber. There was this really good guy who came into my life a few months ago when my b/f of 5 years and I took a break. I broke the guys heart to go back to my b/f. I'm really really starting to regret doing that. I sent the guy an e-mail last night apologizing for what I have done, but I never got a response. I don't know if I should leave my b/f and move on with my life. I try so hard to save for the future and create a good life for us, but there is never any appreciation given. I sometimes wish I would have prusued a relationship with the guy whose heart I broke. I don't know how to get him back if that's what I should do. I can't think of anything special to do for him. If anyone could please offer me some advice to help ease my pain, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Does it seem to you that have lost both of them?

Moderated by  Kate Relationships Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.