Some little good �

Jan Goldfield

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#269778 12/02/06 10:44 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Mary Cassatt (1844-1926)

The first American Impressionist artist, Mary Cassatt was born in Pittsburgh and lived in France. Mary Cassatt was influenced especially by Degas. Under Mary Cassatt's influence, many Americans collected Impressionist art.

Selected Mary Cassatt Quotations

� I think that if you shake the tree, you ought to be around when the fruit falls to pick it up.

� I have touched with a sense of art some people � they felt the love and the life.

� Edouard Degas to Mary Cassatt: Most women paint as though they are trimming hats. Not you.

� Edouard Degas about Mary Cassatt: I don't admit that a woman draws that well!

Jan Goldfield

#269779 12/03/06 03:53 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Willa Cather Quotes

Where there is great love there are always miracles.

I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do.

Elsewhere the sky is the roof of the world; but here the earth is the floor of the sky.

There are only two or three human stories and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before.

Jan Goldfield

#269780 12/04/06 04:48 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Carrie Chapman Catt Quotes

This world taught woman nothing skillful and then said her work was valueless. It permitted her no opinions and said she did not know how to think. It forbade her to speak in public, and said the sex had no orators.

Just as the world war is no white man's war, but every man's war, so is the struggle for woman suffrage no white woman's struggle, but every woman's struggle.

Everybody counts in applying democracy. And there will never be a true democracy until every responsible and law-abiding adult in it, without regard to race, sex, color or creed has his or her own inalienable and unpurchasable voice in government.

Jan Goldfield

#269781 12/05/06 09:50 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Coco Chanel (1883-1971)

From her first millinery shop, opened in 1912, to the 1920s, Coco Chanel (Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel) rose to become one of the premier fashion designers in Paris, France. Replacing the corset with comfort and casual elegance, Coco Chanel fashion themes included simple suits and dresses, women's trousers, costume jewelry, perfume and textiles.

Selected Coco Chanel Quotations

� A fashion that does not reach the streets is not a fashion.

� Fashion is made to become unfashionable.

� Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.

� A woman has the age she deserves.

� Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.

Jan Goldfield

#269782 12/06/06 09:32 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Linda Chavez Quotes

We have created not a Brave New World, but a vulgar marketplace, where human attributes come with a price tag.

I have decided that I am becoming a distraction and therefore, I have asked President Bush to withdraw my name as secretary of labor. (January 9, 2001, withdrawal speech, Washington, D.C.)

So long as the game in Washington is a game of search and destroy, I think that we will have very few people who are willing to do what I did, which was to put myself through this in order to serve. (January 9, 2001, withdrawal speech, Washington, D.C.)

For nearly 30 years, the federal government has coerced both the public and the private sectors to prefer some groups over others, all in the name of ending discrimination. We now have literally hundreds of federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and programs that purport to promote nondiscrimination but instead give preference to some individuals over others in hiring, promotion, contracting, and admission to higher education based on the individual's race, ethnicity, or sex, it is a system that cannot be reformed and ought simply to be abandoned.

Until more Hispanic parents begin insisting their kids go on to college, Hispanic educational attainment -- and lifetime earnings -- will lag behind other groups.

Jan Goldfield

#269783 12/07/06 10:43 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Linda Chavez-Thompson Quotes

The face of labor is changing, and you can tell this by the mere fact that I am a woman ... and a woman of color.

Together, we can create a community where [all are] treated with dignity, regardless of their sex or skin color or orientation, regardless of whether their family came here on a slave ship or the Mayflower four hundred years ago or through Ellis Island at the turn of the century or from Central America last year.

Jan Goldfield

#269784 12/08/06 10:54 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Judy Chicago (1939-)

Born Judith Cohen in Chicago in 1939, Judy Chicago achieved prominence with "The Dinner Party" which celebrated women's achievements and lesser-known women of history. She was an early promoter of feminist art. Her "The Birth Project" focused on images of birth, a theme that Judy Chicago found missing in art's history.

Selected Judy Chicago Quotations

� Because we are denied knowledge of our history, we are deprived of standing upon each other's shoulders and building upon each other's hard earned accomplishments. Instead we are condemned to repeat what others have done before us and thus we continually reinvent the wheel. The goal of The Dinner Party is to break this cycle.

� About The Holocaust Project: A lot of survivors committed suicide. Then you must make a choice--are you going to succumb to the darkness or choose life? It's a Jewish mandate to choose life.

� I began to wonder about the ethical distinction between processing pigs and doing the same thing to people defined as pigs. Many would argue that moral considerations do not have to be extended to animals, but this is just what the Nazis said about the Jews.

Jan Goldfield

#269785 12/09/06 10:45 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Lydia Maria Child (1802-1880)

Lydia Maria Child was a writer and an abolitionist. Her advice books were quite popular in the 19th century. She also wrote the poem "A Boy's Thanksgiving Day" which survives as a popular Thanksgiving and Christmas song.

Selected Lydia Maria Child Quotations

� We pay our domestic generous wages, with which they can purchase as many Christmas gowns as they please; a process far better for their characters, as well as our own, than to receive their clothing as a charity, after being deprived of just payment for their labor. I have never known an instance where the "pangs of maternity " did not meet with requisite assistance; and here at the North, after we have helped the mothers, we do not sell the babies.

� I was gravely warned by some of my female acquaintances that no woman could expect to be regarded as a lady after she had written a book.

Jan Goldfield

#269786 12/11/06 04:44 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Shirley Chisholm (November 30, 1924 - January 1, 2005)

Shirley Chisholm was the first black woman to serve in the United States Congress. An early education expert, Shirley Chisholm was elected to the New York Legislature in 1964 and to Congress in 1968. She ran for president in 1972, winning 152 delegates before she withdrew. Shirley Chisholm served in Congress until 1983. During her congressional career, Shirley Chisholm was noted for her support for women's rights, her advocacy of legsislation to benefit those in poverty, and her opposition to the Vietnam war.

Selected Shirley Chisholm Quotations

� I was the first American citizen to be elected to Congress in spite of the double drawbacks of being female and having skin darkened by melanin. When you put it that way, it sounds like a foolish reason for fame. In a just and free society it would be foolish.

That I am a national figure because I was the first person in 192 years to be at once a congressman, black and a woman proves, I think, that our society is not yet either just or free.

� Of my two "handicaps" being female put more obstacles in my path than being black.

� My God, what do we want? What does any human being want? Take away an accident of pigmentation of a thin layer of our outer skin and there is no difference between me and anyone else. All we want is for that trivial difference to make no difference.

� Racism is so universal in this country, so widespread and deepseated, that it is invisible because it is so normal.

Jan Goldfield

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.