logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Zebra
Zebra
Quote:
If Jesus is not the Son of God then Christianity has no validity.

I find after some thought, that I cannot entirely agree with this statement...
jews and Moslems both know of Jesus' existence - they just view him in different terms...it is only Christians who view him in a different Light...But I do not think that whether this is proved, disproved, accepted or not accepted, has any bearings on a Christian's Love for God, or shakes the foundations of their Faith....
Jesus was God Made Flesh... he was a man, and as such, was as vulnerable to impermanence and death as any Mortal - that was the whole point.
It is only this small matter of his resurrection from the dead which sets him aside from ordinary folk - and believe it, or believe it not, it is his ministry and work, during his documented Life, which matters.... After all, he did a whole lot more BEFORE his crucifixion, than after it....

Little significance is attached to what he did after rising from the tomb... the focus of attention, with regard to his work, is aimed entirely at his time amongst the living.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
If Jesus is not the Son of God then Christianity has no validity.
It is only this small matter of his resurrection from the dead which sets him aside from ordinary folk - and believe it, or believe it not, it is his ministry and work, during his documented Life, which matters.... After all, he did a whole lot more BEFORE his crucifixion, than after it....
i have to agree know on arugue that Jesus is or was eivl i have not heard anyone say it.

but i have a question. we call Mary mother of God the Virgin Mary why do we as Christian call Jesus the Virgin Jesus? why Doesnt the Bible call Him that?

and there is a big differnce between God (father Son Holy Spirit) and the Bible (i say this because there is meaning lost when you translate it from the Originals into any languge, idtoms, slang from back then and the way they talked back then and how we talk to day.) and the church (often moved by polotics and prejustice and just human mis understanding. for example KKK thought slavery was Biblical and Killing Black and Jews was God will). so the question here is not God or no God Jesus man or God or God-man it really. who do you serve and worship God (father Son Holy Stirit) or Bible or Church. if you truly believe in God you study the Bible and what ever you are call or lead to study to find the truth and help you find the way and yes i think you can read anything you want to find truth as long as it chechs out with what you know to be true and the bible does not directlysay its wrong or you feel it is wrong. on the other hand i dont think you should use anything to bend it to your will. if you worship the Bible and only the bible then you tend to miss out on the Joy of a Liveing God and get tangled up in memorizing chaper and verus and Law. it you worship the church then you get tangled up in who is the best christian and denomenation and politcs.

All things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. judge not lest ye be judged.
Zebra
Zebra
It is widely accepted amongst theologians, historians and experts and authorities of the ancient hebrew texts, that the word translated as "Virgin" actually just means "young Woman".... But the Virgin Label has stuck.... Mary was in all probability only a child of around 12 or 13 when she was purpotedly betrothed to Joseph - this only sounds incredible or warped to our modern social way of thinking - in those days, it was completely normal and acceptable that girls were promised in marriage at a very young age (by our standards today)... The moment they began menstruating, basically, they were of marriageable state.....

Shark
Shark
old enough to bleed old enough to breed. it an old saying i my family. my grand mother was 13 when she was married. I have also heard that back at the time they were writting the bible it ment starnger from a forin land. and in Allien means illegan imagrant not little green men from mars.

All things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. judge not lest ye be judged.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Mary was very young and when whe became pregnant Joseph her to be betrothed was going to divorce her, even though engaged he would have to divorce her in order to cancel the wedding. Mary would be stoned to death because she was pregnant. Instead, God sent an angel to Joseph in a dream and he married her.

Judism, Muslim and Christians all believe in the same God. Muslim and Judism is different due to the decendents of Abraham. Abraham had two sons one Ishmeal with Hagar, his wife's servant, and the other Isaac with his wife Sara. The decendents of Ishmael are the Arabs, and those of Isaac are the Jews.

Christianity came out of Judism. What sets Christianity apart from Judism is the belief that Jesus is the son of God, or the Messiah. If Jesus was just a great prophet then there would be no Christians just Jewish people. It is his sacrifice on the cross and his reserection that allow us to be saved and enter into a personal relationship with God. Jesus was man - God in the flesh, and he is God. He came to earth to experience human frailty and become a sinless sacrifice, the last sacrifice, to atone for the sins of the world. Without this Christianity does not exist. It is this one act that is the most important part of his ministry, his words, miricles, and life are only a glimpse of what life with God will be like.

Shark
Shark
virgin: 3933
parqevno� Parthenos (par-then'-os); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 3933

a virgin
a marriageable maiden
a woman who has never had sexual intercourse with a man
one's marriageable daughter
a man who has abstained from all uncleanness and whoredom attendant on idolatry, and so has kept his chastity
one who has never had intercourse with women

this is what i found in Storngs whatchamacall it Lexicon i think...

Gecko
Gecko
Quote:
the Da Vinci Code . . . The book is an attack of the most important Christian belief - That Jesus is the son of God.

I do not believe this is what the book is about at all. It puts forth a theory that Jesus (son of God or not) had a wife who had his baby.

The book also has a second theory that has nothing to do with the above one (altho, it does dovetail nicely into it). And that is that the Catholic Church sought to repress early forms of Goddess worship by denouncing the sacred feminine. In the book, the keepers of this secret had to go underground, as you recall.

I appreciated your notations of strong females in the Bible, but none of them really represent a holy woman in the way that other religions or paths do. A woman who is not defined by men, but stands alone as a goddess figure, such as the Isis cults or Isis herself. Ishtar, Innana, and the like. Isis is the sister of Osiris, but it is she alone who goes out to find his pieces and reconstruct him, altho as God of the Underworld for she cannot find the last piece. In this way, the Isis myth shows us that woman creates life.

The book asks us to look at the sacred feminine, determine whether it has had its due accord in this religion, and even asks us to realize that balance must be had between the sacred masculine AND feminine.

All of this is independent of Jesus as the son of God, and even independent of Mary as his wife, since the sacred feminine existed long before Catholicism.

Darling Poor
Editor of Horses Site
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
The Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church is strongly worshiped and prayed to. She has godess status within the Catholic Church which goes against the commandment thou shalt not have any other Gods before me. There are many Female saints that Catholics pray to as well.

The church is also filled with idols, religious icons or not they are idols. Which again breaks a commandment, the iseralites coming out of Eygpt broke the same commandment and had to wonder the desert for 40 years.

Zebra
Zebra
Quote:
The Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church is strongly worshiped and prayed to. She has godess status within the Catholic Church which goes against the commandment thou shalt not have any other Gods before me.

Forgive me - I do not do this to be argumentative, and I fully appreciate that I am not a practising Christian - but as an ex-Catholic of over 40 years standing, this comment, whilst understandable, is actually incorrect.

Mary has always been, and always shall be regarded as a woman who has a unique and special place in God's heart, and in the lives of Catholics - she denotes the Maternal and Nourishing, protective quality of the Church (and note that the Church bears the prefix 'Mother' not 'Father') - But she certainly does not bear 'Goddess status'..She is, according to the Church, a shining example of Womanhood, Wisdom, and Femininity, and is looked upon by women of the church - both ordained and in the congregation, as a primary source of comfort and support....
In years gone by, there was a fear amongst the catholic hierarchy that her role was becoming too prominent, but this was a storm in a teacup....
However, it is widely accepted by many Catholic clergy, that the Holy Spirit - A 'member' of the Holy trinity - is representative of the Wondrous love between God and Christ, and God and mankind, and Christ and Mankind.... and has in my hearing, always been referred to in the feminine.

Last edited by Alexandra; 05/30/06 03:16 PM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I am not a catholic, so I do apologize. As an outsider it seems as though she has a very prominate role and is at worship status. Sorry I misunderstood.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Nina - Siblings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.