Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242789 04/13/06 03:26 PM
J
jasdmom Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We started a very small water garden last summer. We tried to put fish and plants in it, but everything died and it was constantly filled with algae. We had a filter and a pump, but that did nothing. We are in Wisconsin. The biggest part is a 35 gallon pond, and then we have a small whiskey barrel liner that it flows into. The fish are just in the 35 gallon part. It is in the sun most of the time. Any ideas before we start again this year?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi, I am really new to this forum thing but I would like to try to help you. My husband owns a garden center in OH (has for 25 years)we have a couple large water gardens and have found that the more surface of the water covered (ie plants) the less algae grows. This will also help give the fish shade and puts other stuff in the whole eco system. I am not sure of all the technical terms. If the fish were left in pond over winter, the water is probably too shallow. I hope this helps, you might try contacting a local garden center with a little knowldge in water gardens

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I think you are possibly putting too many fish in your little pond. 2 tiny goldfish is about all it can support and then never feed them. Be sure you have at least 10 bunches of submerged vegetation in there and 60% or so of the surface of the pond covered with floating vegetation. Start over and don't forget the dechlor.

Jan

Jan Goldfield

T
Shark
Shark
T
In Australia we have a plant that is called "Duck Weed". It is a surface plant, mulitplies very quickly, keeps the fish protected from the sun and birds AND keeps the algae at bay.

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them
but you always know they are there.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here in New Orleans, once we get duckweed, we always have duckweed.....always!! We use water hyacinths for fast cover. At least we can compost them when they overcome the pond. But watch out for hyacinths, they will crawl through the cracks in your house and attack you in your sleep

Jan Goldfield

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.