logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
My first sewing machine was a JC Penny machine. I love it - and still have it although it is in its plastic case just sitting on a shelf... I bought it in 1989 when I was stationed at Beale AFB in California - thinking I would sew on my stripes and whatnot... I tried to make hair scrunchies and failed miserably so I put it up.... and only kept it just in case someone was over that could mend things for me.... I'm glad I kept it because I did a swap a few years ago on Craftster and the person I was paired up with only wanted sewn things - so I took out my machine and make nice with it... and have not looked back since..! I now am on my second embroidery machine (I now have a Janome MB-4) and I bought a new sewing machine a little over a year ago - a Janome MC4900QC which I do adore. Great machine to say the least! I now quilt and sew as much as I can - when I'm not crocheting. Being a crochet designer I have a hook in my hand most days!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
J
I just got my first sewing machine for Christmas this last year from my mom. It's an old Singer machine that she found at a garage sale for $10.00, we got it refurbished and it works beautifully. She thought that I would only use it a little bit for some mending and hemming, but since Christmas, I have drafted a beach bag and sewed it from scratch, made a lined sundress, and now I am working on a blazer (by far the most confusing one yet!). What fun!

L
L
My first was a Singer treadle too! Very similar to busokelo's above. It had a heavy wooden cabinet that the machine dropped down into with little drawers on each side. Miss Martha Butler, great grandma to my best friend was throwing it out. I was 11. I talked my mom into buying it for me for the astronomical price of $12.00. At first she said no, but I begged and pleaded so much she got it. After a year or two I was making dresses for her as well as myself. A very good investment indeed. I love the antique Singers with the gold foil writing. Just beautiful...

Koala
Koala
My first sewing machine was a singer portable that I got for Christmas in 1982. I don't use it much as I now have a featherweight, but I still have it. My daughter is wanting a sewing machine and I was thinking of passing it on to her.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
For my 18th birthday, my mom gave me the choice of taking her old machine or getting a new one. I chose her old machine, a Pfaff 230 automatic. Mom had purchased it when she was in high school (late '50s) and it was considered Top-of-the-Line at the time. It folds down into the cabinet and can do all sorts of fancy stitches with two needles. Since I already knew how to use it, I opted to take that instead of a new machine. I still have the Pfaff, although I've purchased a Sears Kenmore portable as well-- it's MUCH lighter and easier to haul around the house. ;-) I'm starting to teach my daughter to sew now ... hmmm... maybe she'll opt to take my Kenmore so I can get a new machine... Ha!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.