Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#235846 07/13/06 03:33 PM
B
B

Hi again, EM! :-)

EM>There was very little controversy over anything [the Council of Nicea] decided. As I said, there were only two dissenting votes out of over three hundred cast.

Well, then it apparently didn't represent everybody, or even all factions!

Because as I pointed out, a direct result of this council was the splitting away of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, a split which continues to this day.

EM>Anyway, does the bahai faith have writings to study?

Most assuredly!

We are extremely fortunate in that not only do we have very voluminous scriptures, but we have the original manuscript of every one of our 200 volumes of scripture! And indeed, UNLESS we have the original manuscript, nothing is considered scripture no matter HOW "inspirational" it is!

(The Bab <Baha'u'llah's Forerunner, who held a position similar to that of John the Baptist in Christianity> wrote several books; Baha'u'llah <our Founder> around a hundred volumes, and 'Abdu'l-Baha <Baha'u'llah's son and appointed successor/interpreter> the rest.)

You can see these online at various Web sites, including the following:

The Baha'i scriptures span a wide variety of styles and themes, including poetry, mysticism, explicit statements of laws, Q-and-A explanations of various subjects, history, and much more!

Here are descriptions of just a few of the many titles; feel free to wander around and find those books that interest you most! . . .

(by Baha'u'llah)

- The HIdden Words Baha'u'llah's first work, a poetic description of the teachings of past religions

- Gleanings A compilation covering many different aspects of the Baha'i teachings

- The Seven Valleys a mystical work describing the progress of the soul

- The Book of Certitude our primary theological work, containing an explanation of Divine Revelation and the stages of religion through history, as well as the nature and dual stations of each Divine Messenger

(by 'Abdu'l-Baha)

- Some Answered Qjuestions a Q-and-A style explanation of many different religious topics and questions.

And I wish you good hunting! :-)

Best,

Bruce
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#235847 07/14/06 05:22 AM
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
John the Baptist held the belief tha Jesus was the messiah and took away the sins of the world. Is that what the bab taught?

#235848 07/14/06 01:19 PM
B
B
Hi again, EM! :-)

EM>John the Baptist held the belief that Jesus was the messiah and took away the sins of the world. Is that what the bab taught?

No: that teaching was already well-established by the time of the Bab and didn't need repeated.

The Bab's primary (many would say sole) mission was to announce the imminent appearance of Baha'u'llah, Whom the Bab termed "He Whom God shall make manifest" and to urge all and sundry to prepare for His coming.

(Again, as I'm sure you can see, this is a role analagous to that of John the Baptist for Christ.)

Best,

Bruce
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.